Ratings for Dr. James C. Thurmond

Great surgeon! At first I felt he was unfriendly but then I realized he just likes to get to the point because he is a busy man. He made me feel soooo much better. No pain!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2017

Excellent experience with fusion surgery. Pain was gone the minute I woke up after the surgery. Dr. Thurmond explained in detail what was involved with the procedure, and I found him to be caring and personable.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

8/31/17 - One year ago, I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis and a seriously compromised lower spine. I was in excruciating, unbearable pain and unable to function. Dr Thurmond proposed a lumbar laminectomy, spinal fusion, and disc repair surgery as my best option. The surgery and recovery went smoothly and Dr. Thurmond visited each day staying with me as long as necessary to answer questions and ease my fears. Thanks to Dr. Thurmond’s kindness, compassion, and most of all his surgical skills, I am now without pain and fully able to perform my daily routine. I just completed my 1-year examination and have no further scheduled appointments. I consider the whole experience a triumph. In a word, Dr. Thurmond is my “hero”.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

He is complete arrogant and has no compassion whatsoever. Was critical on how I explained my back pain- said "it keeps going out" and he kept saying that doesn't happen- obviously I'm not a doctor nor do I know medical terminology... very degrading considering I did break my. all 4 years ago and have had more frequent pain. I refuse to take medication for pain so it's not like I was some pill shopper- just wanted to be checked out and he never did more than look at my back. I even had pictures showing how sideways I stand and swollen I get when it does act up- I was dismissed as through I was making it up. Horrible bedside manner and honestly just a cocky little guy

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

Told me L4-5 & L5-S1 needed to be fused. Shortly after surgery, pain persisted. Sent me for an MRI. Then an injection in L3-4...diagnostic prepares ! He tells me we may have to consider L3-4 some time in the future. 2 months after surgery, the pain is increasing and inn other areas. Numbness and burning pain that I never experienced before. He wants to do another injection in L3-4. Meanwhile, his P.A. Tells me that she believes that L3-4 is definitely the problem but he wants the injection. I go for another opinion.... Other Dr. looks at my pictures, radiologist reports from my MEN's and immediately tells me that I was misdiagnosed. L5-S1 was fused and should not have been touched, L3-4 was herniated and ruptured and was not even considered. Reports and pictures do not lie !! He does !! Because of 4 months of further damage that should not have been done, I now face permanent nerve damage. He refuses to acknowledge his blatant incompetence. The level of arrogance from Dr. Thurmond is astounding. At least I finally got the original problem taken care of...4 months later.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

He is a good doctor and professional explain everything from A to Z

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

I just had my first appointment. Dr. Thank looked at my MRI for less than 6 seconds and said he couldn't help me. I cannot believe he is a doctor.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

Dr. Thurmond accurately diagnosed and repaired my herniated disk. I could hardly walk when I went into surgery and walked out without pain. I highly recommend Dr. Thurmond and just want say Thank You! You gave me my life back!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

This doctor did not admit to my husband that the fusion he performed did not take. My husband walked around for one year with a broken back. SHAME ON YOU!!!! You need to be held accountable for this!!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 17, 2017

Dr. Thurmond performed a lumbar laminectomy on my mother in early September of 2016. She had severe pain in her legs due to spinal stenosis. Walking caused her much discomfort, even short distances. After the surgery my mother felt immediate relief, minus the obvious discomfort from post surgery. Dr. Thurmond was very informative in the pre-surgery visit and explained the surgery; procedure, expectations and the risks. I felt he gave us time to ask questions and addressed our concerns. After the surgery Dr. Thurmond came out of the OR and updated me on the surgery. Beyond that we had several follow up visits to monitor my mother's progress. Dr. Thurmond was again informative and made sure our questions and concerns were addressed. His assistant, Jaclyn, was also very friendly and helpful each time we visited the office. It has been 5 months since my mother's surgery and we continue to visit with Dr. Thurmond and Jaclyn for x-rays and monitoring of post-surgery success. I am very happy, as is my mother, with the results of the surgery and care from Dr. Thurmond and his staff. As with any surgery I/we had much trepidation, but are very happy with the results and care.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

Dr. James C. Thurmond's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2009)