Ratings for Dr. James C. Thurmond

Dr. Thurmond performed a double spinal fusion and decompression surgery, to correct a slipped vertebrae and nerve compression on my lumbar spine back in February. Years of severe low back pain has greatly improved, and the horrible nerve pain that ran down my right leg is gone. Both Dr. Thurmond and his assistant Jaclyn were most professional and attentive while I was recovering in the hospital and during my follow up appointments, as well. He and his team are compassionate, kind and never too busy to answer your questions and concerns. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for an appointment and have always been treated with the utmost respect.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2016

The only reason he has a start is because i couldn't leave it blank. He is absolutely awful. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. Such disrespect from a dr, especially when people are in need of answers. Disgraceful.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

He did surgery on my friend because he assumed it her pain was linked to her neck, when her pain was in her arm. She can now no longer move her head to the side or even get out of bed most days due to severe pain. He brought her back to out dye into her veins to see where there might be a pinched nerve in her arm, ever since this procedure, she can't even walk without assistance, and she has severe pain down her leg and random bruising. He ruined somebody's live, career and reason for living. He is the most awful Doctor. I hope she finds someone who will take her case and help her get better so she can live without pain. It saddens me to watch her suffer and him making her pain worse from all these unnecessary tests to help "treat" what he caused. This jerkbag completely ruined her life, and I hope one day he gets his side of the karma. Ruining people's lives for money is a shady thing to do. I had to give one star, my opinion, he deserves none. Such a disrespectful Doctor

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I am very grateful to Dr. Thurmond for his medical expertise, compassion, empathy, and most of all his friendly, personable, realistic, thoughtful interactions during our visits. Last year it was not certain whether I would ever walk, sit, or stand comfortably again due to severe Scoliosis caused by an infection in my spine. Dr. Thurmond surgically corrected that condition and I am happy to say that one year later I am walking 2.5 miles every day without pain or discomfort. Thank you Dr. Thurmond! I am very grateful for your care.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2015

Firs of all, I only put one start because I had to, I couldn't leave it blank. I would never even recommended my worst enemy to go to this disrespectful doctor. I recently had a family member endure a very serious fall and was in the neuro trauma unit, and this "man" was too busy and important to even take his time to look at the chart; he came in telling my family member to do things they couldn't physically due do to injuries they endured during the fall. Then when another family member was trying to ask him about a health problem she think he may have due to his vitals, he put his hands in her face and said "STOP STOP STOP, I don't have time for this" and left. More words were said but I will spare those details. And as it turns out, the problem my other family member was trying to ask about, they did indeed have and it needed taken care of immediately. He's inconsiderate and never apologized for his inexcusable actions. All of this happened in front of the injured family member who was already in distress from the fall, and since he clearly never even looked at the chart, he had no was if knowing if this person had high cholesterol or anything that could have put him in more distress and caused a heart attack or other serious comolications. I'm disgusted by him and hope he never steps foot any one of us again.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2015

I'm amazed by the reviews stating that he was thorough and patient and explained things to them. I was a new patient coming in with chronic back pain issues and a new issue with my brain. He refused to discuss my back issues because I would have to pay for another visit. Then diagnosed me without explaining the diagnosis in a way for me to understand and had to catch himself from calling me fat. Poor bedside manor and comes across as extremely arrogant. Would never feel comfortable having him as my surgeon!

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

My surgery went well and I am finally pain-free. Doctor Thurmond was professional and thorough and I am very thankful for his good work. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Thurmond to anyone in need of back surgery.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr Thurmond was very patient and attentive to me. Him and his staff were very nice and helpful. I would definitely go back to see him if I needed to! After surgery, I am pain free and feel great! Very thankful and grateful to him for " fixing" me!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2014

I experience several back problems per year and am otherwise healthy and pain-free. When these episodes occur, it's debilitating and often lasts for a week or more. The doctor would do nothing to help me. The only thing he could recommend was coming back when an episode occurred to try an injection to help narrow down the source. He provided no other recommendations for preventative exercise and said just keep doing what I'm doing. The whole reason I went there was because it's not working. I feel I was discriminated against because I'm not in pain 24/7. He made it sound as if I hardly have any problems. Bottom line: don't go there unless you have chronic pain. Biggest waste of $50. So now I get to pay for my own MRI and try to search for someone who is willing to help me. The medical profession and insurance companies have totally failed me when it comes to back pain. My chiropractor has done a million times more for me than they ever have! In the future, I think I'll ask to talk to one of the nurses to recommend which doctor they would see.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2014

I am stunned by the number of good reviews this surgeon has. I got a bad vibe from the moment I walked into his office and he had no clue who I was or what my issues were. Against my better judgement (clouded by pain) I allowed him to perform a discectomy. When my pain did not abate he blamed it on me (my 'low pain tolerance') and finally when 3 months had passed and I was still no better he rapidly changed his tune and said my disc was 'shot' and it was fusion time. He said for me with my low pain tolerance (!!) he would keep me overnight. Now, 18 mos later I am facing a fusion (different surgeon, obviously) and am learning that it's ALWAYS multi-night stay. So his whole condescending nonsense about my special needs were just nonsense. Of note, I had previously had a discectomy with no issues. Comparing him to my last surgeon (different city)... just not even possible. Again - I can't believe he has satisfied patients. I even met a prior nurse of his who said he was horrid.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2013

Dr. James C. Thurmond's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2009)