Ratings for Dr. James C. Thurmond

Dr. Thurmond performed a lumbar laminectomy on my mother in early September of 2016. She had severe pain in her legs due to spinal stenosis. Walking caused her much discomfort, even short distances. After the surgery my mother felt immediate relief, minus the obvious discomfort from post surgery. Dr. Thurmond was very informative in the pre-surgery visit and explained the surgery; procedure, expectations and the risks. I felt he gave us time to ask questions and addressed our concerns. After the surgery Dr. Thurmond came out of the OR and updated me on the surgery. Beyond that we had several follow up visits to monitor my mother's progress. Dr. Thurmond was again informative and made sure our questions and concerns were addressed. His assistant, Jaclyn, was also very friendly and helpful each time we visited the office. It has been 5 months since my mother's surgery and we continue to visit with Dr. Thurmond and Jaclyn for x-rays and monitoring of post-surgery success. I am very happy, as is my mother, with the results of the surgery and care from Dr. Thurmond and his staff. As with any surgery I/we had much trepidation, but are very happy with the results and care.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

This doctor did not help me at all! Have had chronic back and leg pain for years and would like to remain active. He did thousands of dollars of testing on me, and I was told by his assistant twice that he could definitely help me with my scoliosis. Now they are telling me that they cannot help me because my pain should be on the other side according to the tests. Not impressed! Still have lots of pain. Will look for another doctor in the area. This practice is definitely not what it used to be when Dr. Garrido was there!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

Dr. Thurmond performed a double spinal fusion and decompression surgery, to correct a slipped vertebrae and nerve compression on my lumbar spine back in February. Years of severe low back pain has greatly improved, and the horrible nerve pain that ran down my right leg is gone. Both Dr. Thurmond and his assistant Jaclyn were most professional and attentive while I was recovering in the hospital and during my follow up appointments, as well. He and his team are compassionate, kind and never too busy to answer your questions and concerns. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for an appointment and have always been treated with the utmost respect.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2016

The only reason he has a start is because i couldn't leave it blank. He is absolutely awful. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. Such disrespect from a dr, especially when people are in need of answers. Disgraceful.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

He did surgery on my friend because he assumed it her pain was linked to her neck, when her pain was in her arm. She can now no longer move her head to the side or even get out of bed most days due to severe pain. He brought her back to out dye into her veins to see where there might be a pinched nerve in her arm, ever since this procedure, she can't even walk without assistance, and she has severe pain down her leg and random bruising. He ruined somebody's live, career and reason for living. He is the most awful Doctor. I hope she finds someone who will take her case and help her get better so she can live without pain. It saddens me to watch her suffer and him making her pain worse from all these unnecessary tests to help "treat" what he caused. This jerkbag completely ruined her life, and I hope one day he gets his side of the karma. Ruining people's lives for money is a shady thing to do. I had to give one star, my opinion, he deserves none. Such a disrespectful Doctor

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I am very grateful to Dr. Thurmond for his medical expertise, compassion, empathy, and most of all his friendly, personable, realistic, thoughtful interactions during our visits. Last year it was not certain whether I would ever walk, sit, or stand comfortably again due to severe Scoliosis caused by an infection in my spine. Dr. Thurmond surgically corrected that condition and I am happy to say that one year later I am walking 2.5 miles every day without pain or discomfort. Thank you Dr. Thurmond! I am very grateful for your care.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2015

Firs of all, I only put one start because I had to, I couldn't leave it blank. I would never even recommended my worst enemy to go to this disrespectful doctor. I recently had a family member endure a very serious fall and was in the neuro trauma unit, and this "man" was too busy and important to even take his time to look at the chart; he came in telling my family member to do things they couldn't physically due do to injuries they endured during the fall. Then when another family member was trying to ask him about a health problem she think he may have due to his vitals, he put his hands in her face and said "STOP STOP STOP, I don't have time for this" and left. More words were said but I will spare those details. And as it turns out, the problem my other family member was trying to ask about, they did indeed have and it needed taken care of immediately. He's inconsiderate and never apologized for his inexcusable actions. All of this happened in front of the injured family member who was already in distress from the fall, and since he clearly never even looked at the chart, he had no was if knowing if this person had high cholesterol or anything that could have put him in more distress and caused a heart attack or other serious comolications. I'm disgusted by him and hope he never steps foot any one of us again.

Submitted September 4, 2015

I'm amazed by the reviews stating that he was thorough and patient and explained things to them. I was a new patient coming in with chronic back pain issues and a new issue with my brain. He refused to discuss my back issues because I would have to pay for another visit. Then diagnosed me without explaining the diagnosis in a way for me to understand and had to catch himself from calling me fat. Poor bedside manor and comes across as extremely arrogant. Would never feel comfortable having him as my surgeon!

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

My surgery went well and I am finally pain-free. Doctor Thurmond was professional and thorough and I am very thankful for his good work. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Thurmond to anyone in need of back surgery.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr Thurmond was very patient and attentive to me. Him and his staff were very nice and helpful. I would definitely go back to see him if I needed to! After surgery, I am pain free and feel great! Very thankful and grateful to him for " fixing" me!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2014

Dr. James C. Thurmond's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2009)