Ratings for Dr. Urs Peter Steinbrecher

I only saw him in the hospital as he's not my regular GI. He was cold. I am young and diagnosed... and was scared. He didn't care one bit. I cried to my mom and told the nurse I never want to have him come in my room again.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

If you are reading these ratings you will realize that Dr Steinbrecher may come accross as cold or arrogant, and I know of people that switched Dr's after their first appt. BUT, luckily, I didn't want a caring, sweet talking C+ sort of doctor taking care of my life-threatening disease. Dr. Steinbrecher is incredibly smart and he is amazing at what you go to a Doctor for - to save your life! Even the nurses (post transplant) said if they had to pick a GI to trust their life with, it would be him... and they have to deal with the non-pleasantries. That should tell you something.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2014

DR. Steinbrecher has been a part of a team of doctors who has saved my many times. I have survived 3 liver transplants and the removal of my colon. I was under Dr. Steinbrecher's care every step of the way . He is straight forward and responsive. He truly cares about the people under his care.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

I read the reviews here before meeting Dr. Steinbrecher and can't help but think that those speaking negatively of him must have seen someone else entirely. His manner is warm and gentle, he asks the right questions; anticipated my questions; covered the risks and benefits of the various diagnostic options; and explained the reasons for his recommendations; and showed a genuine interest in meeting my needs. I'm certainly going to go out of my way to make his job easier in any way I can.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2013

Dr. Steinbrecher isn't the Dr to see if you've shopped WebMD and want confirmation of your self-diagnosis. He responds to literate questions in an intelligent manner and discusses diagnoses and prognoses in a no-beat-around-the-bush manner. How else should a busy teacher/research doctor go about their business? All issues regarding my disease, including symptoms, treatment, medication effects, and ongoing problems are investigated and dealt with efficiently, including expediting appointments when test results require immediate action. Yes, he is intelligent and "talks smart", which will intimidate some. He hasn't time to sit bedside and hold hands; ask your wife to do that. He responds well to intelligent queries, and contrary to what some have written, is able to listen to his patients' worries & lend support. He uses past test results b/c that is what our health care system allows. He admits when he doesn't know something. AND he has a sense of humour. We're lucky to have him in BC.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2013

Saw this doctor twice. He was not helpful to us and did not demonstrate any knowledgeable action plan to resolve his patients problem. He offered no diagnosis, ordered no tests, perferring to rely on tests ordered by others, some which were over six months old. What he did for us was to prescribe pills and when that did not work, he had nothing more to offer. In the second appointment he was very quiet,most of the conversation was iniated by us, he is not very forth coming with suggestions,plans or theories about what to do or how to proceed. To me, he appeared to be a man totally stumped. At the end of the appointment it was appearent that there was nothing this man could do for us.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2013

He may come off a certain way when first meeting him. However once you get to know him he is a great and very caring Doctor. I have been under his care for the past few years and have gone through some very difficult times. He has always been there and always returned my phone calls when I was to sick to make it to the office. Great Doctor..

flag | Submitted September 18, 2012

Worst Doctor ever! He was running very late and spent most of my appointment fixing mistakes(wrong prescriptions from his prior patient). He was rude, arrogant and condescending. I have never complained about a Doctor before but I hope that nobody else has to waste their time.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2012

He was so bad at listening to my problems a d the other doctor I was seeing at the same time same there was something wrong with me so this doctor rushes to fast gets you off of pain killers before you don't need them anymore. I am dying in pain and he is doing nothin at all for me. So dissatisfied!!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2012

Dr. Steinbrecher is unquestionably very intelligent, professional and a valuable contribution to his field. I have been under his care for many years and have no complaints (note: I am a very demanding customer). Admittedly he is not the warmest of personalities, so what, I didn't go see him to be coddled. For me, dealing with a life threatening disease required stone cold truth and treatment options based on hard science - and that is exactly what I got, no sugar coating, no BS. He was open and surprisingly, all things considered, very patient with the many questions I had while trying to navigate a complex and physically/emotionally devastating experience. I can't help but think the negative views posted here can only be attributed to inappropriate expectations: expecting someone to be all things to all people. Do these people have the same dumb expectations for their mechanic or plumber? Maybe they should they be more concerned that the work is done professionally and to code.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2011