Ratings for Dr. Larry Mah

Dr. Mah is by far the best Dr at this clinic and the best I've ever dealt with. He's kind, friendly, and understanding. Through my many visits with him for various illnesses I became comfortable enough withave him to ask for the help I needed most. He's the only Dr that ever truly listened to me and helped me with my anxiety. He set me up with an amazing psych and prescribed me enough emergency anxiety meds to cover me until my appointment. Now I'm on a great combo of meds and finally living an amazing life. All thanx to Dr Mah for making me feel comfortable in his presence enough to ask for the help id been so scared to ask for. He helped safe my life, there's no doubt about that.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

I've been to see Dr Mah today, he was very rude and consendeing. Showed no empathy and seemed very abrupt and questioning my symptoms. Very unprofessional

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

My wife & I selected this clinic based on wait times and general ratings. First visit to any BC clinic since our move from California last month. Prior to adding to the ratings, my comment on the ratings prior to mine is that the ratings tell me more about the raters in some instances than r. Mah & the clinic. Some reviews fail to address items of substance, concentrating rather on less relevant points such as length of appointment, perceived rudeness, the Doctor's blink rate, needlessly juvenile name - calling. My assessment: 1. Dr. Mah: listened carefully, appropriate questions of us, immediate follow through (an on the spot urine test followed by a scheduled a blood test & an MRI), and was bang-on with his knowledge of our prescriptions. In one case, he picked up on the long term use of a temporary use only drug prescribed by my Southern California MD. Dr. Mah: Dr. Mah gave me the impression that he was prepared to address any concerns we had while simultaneously recognizing the present shortcomings of a universal health system. For raters who expressed extreme dissatisfaction with Dr. Mah, I regret that they have little experience with life in a country such as the US, where they would likely not visit a physician for fear of potential medical expense measured in thousands rather than hundreds or even government subsidized. Health coverage? only if you are a member of the small minority fortunate enough to have coverage provided or who can afford the considerable cost of private coverage. In short, unless one has medical training, perhaps patient views of a physician's medical skills should carry less weight in reviews. As to bed-side manner of any doctor, the concern that took us to his / her office should trump the perceived manner in which the concern was addressed. 2. Clinic: Efficient two person staff on duty. Explained procedures to first time BC Health clinic visitors. Low wait times, easy parking and in general, what one should expect at all health clinics.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Worst doctor I have ever seen across three provinces and a few countries- rude, short, zero doctor patient skills, impersonal and dismissive. I told him what was needed to get a prescription refilled. He looked at my previous one and wrote it out. He seemed angry about the line up. I wanted to ask him why he hated his job so much but decided to just get out before I said something rude. My appointment took all of 5 minutes of his time, I would say. I can't imagine going to see him if I actually was sick and needed to find out what was the matter. If I could give him a minus I would. I will never go to see him again. The clinic staff were most courteous.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Apparently I'm not the only one who thought he was a nincompoop. I asked him how to get my medicinal marijuana card, because I was unclear on this. He simply said "We don't do that here" (they do though) I noticed he was blinking rapid-fire, so I knew he was hiding something. It took me some interrogation to get any clear answer out of him. Finally, he told me I was under 25, a new rule in BC prohibits marijuana prescriptions to anyone under, and thats fine, but Dr. Mah was unnecessarily rude in this particular case. I told him about how my gut affects me (I do everything I can but I will not take antibiotics or other pharmaceuticals, and that I self medicate with marijuana for pain and take probiotics. I have trouble holding down food and I can't sleep because the pain becomes so immense if I stay still. It was worth a shot, of course, and I'm not blaming him in any way for not prescribing me, but his skills in communication reflected that of a spoiled child. His self righteous indignation was through the roof. making unnecessary comments all the while I was confiding with him my issues. As far as I'm concerned, doctors should answer your questions as straightforward as possible, with consideration and care to provide understanding for their patients. In any case, Dr. Mah shattered this belief of mine. I eventually came right out and said "You are a very rude doctor, do you have people who are often rude to you? he said "Only you". If I was in any way rude, it was because I wouldn't be bullied by this arrogant wanker. So I thought I'd try and start over, I apologized and he did too, half-heartedly. I paraquote Mah "some people just don't get along from the start". That was a shocker to me, because I thought it had started off well. One more kind of odd thing I noticed, he told (not asked) me to take off my shirt, I said I didn't feel comfortable doing that, and I'd rather just lift it half way and he asked why not, as if prying, almost annoyed by my reluctance. I restated that my reason was because I didn't feel comfortable! What a creep! Anyway, there is something seriously strange about this doctor that I just can't pin. Maybe it's the arrogance that comes with the salary. Or just the noted hollowness in his character. I would recommend not going to him, as far as I can tell he's, at the least, unreliable. The clinic itself was decent enough, the OTHER doctor seemed quite nice, he would come out and say something goofy like "That's why they call you patient". The punctuality was pretty bad, I waited 90 minutes, but then they let me leave and hold onto my appointment so that when I walked in later I would be next on the list. That was kind. I'm giving it Dr. Mah a 1 star all around though because this ratemd page pertains specifically to him, and not the clinic he works for.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2016

Dr. Mah was the worst doctor I have ever seen. I have been struggling with digestive issues for over 2 months. He was dismissive, rude and offensive. He did not listen to a thing I had to say. I even heard him talking to the patient in the room next to me - a little old man, and he was so rude to this poor old man I knew I would be in for a bad visit. Despite not having had a bowel movement in 5 days, he told me I just wasn't eating enough and should eat more. He said I need more fibre and broccoli and that I did not have IBS (I have been told I have). He said I am not constipated I just don't eat. He lacks interpersonal skills and honestly was the rudest man I have ever met. I will never go back to him again. I literally left crying.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2016

The worst doctor I've ever seen (and I come from a third world country!). Extremely rude and arrogant, took no time with me to hear my history. Dr. Mah lacks significantly in interpersonal communication and is very dismissive of his patients; and I would sincerely doubt his ability to provide quality patient centered care as he has failed at doing so during my unfortunate time as his patient. He is a very cold doctor and doesn't demonstrate any humanity towards his patients. The clinic was supposed to be open until 9pm, but by 5pm they stopped taking patients, I guess Dr. Mah was in a rush to go home and enjoy the rest of his Sunday afternoon. The Tillicum Medical Clinic should be ashamed they still have him on staff after all the complaints you see here on RateMds.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

Oh dear! What an unpleasant experience! He asked me questions but then seemed annoyed when I answered. St the end, he was writing me a prescription and said very rudely, "What kind of name is that?" I guess we can't all be Mary or Mah.... The only positive things I have to say are the clinic at Tillicum was deserted during the middle of the day--twice--so at least you don't have to wait. Second, he did give prescriptions both times. Avoid if possible unless you don't want to wait. You'll be treated poorly but you'll get meds.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

This doctor is completely rude and arrogant. We went in with our 5 year old son who had a terrible ear infection, he asked us to weigh him "take the plexyglass off and put him on there" and when he saw his weight he said to us in front of our son "that's big for a 5 year old". We didn't reply as we didn't want our son to feel bad, so he looks at me and says "have you talked to anyone about it" to which I replied "I am not willing to talk about this in front of our son." He is a complete and utter jackass, goes to show you, you can have money and brains but they aren't worth a darn thing if you have no class.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Dr. Mah was rude, offensive and dismissive. He was the worst doctor I have ever seen and would recommend to ignore him. I was not up to date on vaccinations and he informed me that if I was not vaccinated I would die, which is no where near the truth.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015