Ratings for Dr. Thomas E. Judd

It's been two and a half years since I had my first baby and since I'm currently doing some research on other doctors in my area, I figured I should let the world know my experience with Dr. Judd. The staff at his office was fantastic. Very patient, always answered the phones, and were always good to help answer as many questions as they could. Dr. Judd, however, has a tendency to downplay any worries you have, and like another woman mentioned below, likes to insert you into his idea of what your pregnancy should look like. When I was around 26 weeks pregnant with my daughter, I got really sick. It was so bad and I was so weak I couldn't even get myself up off the couch and into the car for an appointment. I was shaky all the time, every time I laid down my heart rate would slow way down, I was pale and couldnt eat much without making all of it worse. I had no idea what to do or what was causing it. Assuming my doctor would act like a doctor and help me out, I called and asked if he would check my iron levels or other mineral levels to make sure I was OK. He told me it was all in my head and I was just over thinking it. I had a miscarriage my first pregnancy and spotted all through my first trimester with my daughter and Dr. Judd knew I struggled with anxiety because of it. Figuring he was the doctor and maybe it was just my "anxiety", I waited a few more days while my mom and grandma came over to try everything they could to get me feeling better. When nothing changed, I called again and asked for an appointment. The staff wouldn't even schedule me because Dr. Judd "didn't have time" and he, again, told me it was all in my head. Finally, I checked myself into labor and delivery and demanded they do at least an iron test to check my levels. They said they had to call Dr. judd for permission first. He wouldn't give it to them. I went home and tried to get some rest but was so sick, I now couldn't sleep. I went back to labor and delivery one more time because Dr. Judd still refused to help me, but again, they couldn't do anything without his go ahead. Furious that he still wasn't listening to me, I ended up checking myself into the ER just so they could give me something to help me sleep and went home. The next day my husband finally called and demanded an appointment. The first thing Dr. Judd said when he walked in the room was not "How are you feeling?" Or "Explain your symptoms" (because up until this point, he literally did not ask one question before telling me I was making it up) No, no! His first question was " Do you have any Idea how many phone calls I've had the last few days on your behalf?" Ok, obviously when my actual "doctor" not only does literally NOTHING, but full on REFUSES to see me while sit at home, hoping to someday magically feel better, praying that what's going on isn't affecting my unborn child, without any advice or tests done to see what was wrong, no medications or prescriptions suggested, YES YOU WILL BE RECIEVING A LOT OF PHONE CALLS ON MY BEHALF. And THEN he proceeds to say "I just don't know why you don't check yourself into wasatch mental health and have yourself psychologically evaluated.".....I kid you not I have never felt so crushed by someone in my entire life. Here I am, still sick as a dog, can barely walk, have family over daily wondering why I'm not getting any help, STILL PREGNANT, by the way, and then on the other hand I have my doctor just chalking the whole thing up to insanity. I was humiliated. I promptly left his office and found a new doctor, who did run tests and found out that I had several mineral deficiencies (iron was fortunately OK), I had an allergic reaction to the prenatal I was taking and I needed to eat more protein. The fact that this was all resolved so quickly by a new doctor was almost embarrassing. The minute I told them I came from Dr. Judd's office they just smiled and nodded like they knew. I didn't have to say any more. Bottom line, Dr. Judd completely had no compassion, no empathy, no concern whatsoever for how I and my baby were doing. I know a lot of women still see him and love him but I am telling you, the minute you have any complications he is totally off your radar. He spits pregnancies out like they are cookies on a conveyer belt and then moves onto the next one. There is no real relationship there. Its literally just his "job". If your reasons for seeing him are because he has delivered a lot of babies and he has a lot of experience then that is fine, but in my opinion, it's BECAUSE he has delivered so many babies he tends to forget the magnitude of what he is doing. He is so used to it that it has become a run-of-the-mill type thing. He has no patience for anything other than super super simple pregnancies. I really could go on and on but for the most part I just truly feel that any pregnant woman would be better off somewhere else. Please take this into consideration before choosing him as your OBGYN.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2016

I am coming back 4 years later to leave a review because we just had our second child, and I had no idea how terrible our experience with Dr. Judd was until seeing it could have been so different. Yes, he is straightforward and no nonsense, but he does not encourage the least bit of patient empowerment/education. He wanted to make all of the calls and talked in a way that made sure we knew that he was the expert. No doubt he knows what he's doing in the way of procedures, but there was almost no patient advocacy. I just followed his birthplan for me to the point of having my baby around the time he predicted. He utilized several things to try to hurry the process, and did use forceps to get my baby out by 2 p.m. And while he was sewing up my episiotomy (no doubt necessary for the forceps to fit), he was on the phone with a nurse at another hospital who had his next surgery patient under anesthesia and ready for him. It's great that he sees so many patients, and has a lot of experience with medical-intervention-type births, but at the same time it's not great at all. He has no time to allow you and your baby to get through the birth process, there's no time for you to make judgement calls as he makes them for you, and he's on such a tight schedule that he is incentivized to rush through things. I would definitely recommend finding another OB/GYN or midwife. One who will support you in the birthplan you want, and help you find resources so you can formulate a plan with research and education backing it. I will also say that he was incredibly offensive one appointment and told my husband and I, "If you see a doula, run her over. Then back over her and run over her again." With my second birth, we also delivered at a hospital with an OB/GYN, but this time we had a doula assist with labor. She transformed our birthing experience and educated us to be able to create an incredibly special and empowering experience for our family. Because Dr. Judd very explicitly steered us away from this the first time around, it emphasizes the fact that he wants to be the one making all decisions, instead of the patient. Just do yourself and your family a favor, and find a doctor who will support you, not just insert you into the plan they already have in their head. You can and will have a better experience with someone else.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

Anyone who gives another rating other than this is claiming to know more than him. We had three pregnancies and deliveries by his hand and would do it all three more times. Straight forward and no nonsense are words I would use to describe him. He has delivered ten times the babies of the next closest OB anywhere but wouldn't brag about it. It's a fact. If you think that a birthing center or home would suffice instead of using Dr. Judd, then you are delusional. I have been a full time Paramedic for ten years and those people call me to fix their nightmares...I'm not who you want for that sort of thing. You want Dr.Judd for any OB/GYN related care. End of story. We have nothing bad to say about this man or his practice.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2016

I really have appreciated Dr. Judd so far he has a really funny dry sense of humor and always answers all my questions directly. He is known for having the lowest C-Section rate in Utah County. Women that have said rude comments about him either don't get his sense of humor or should just go to a Midwife if they don't want a Dr. that believes in using modern medicine. He is a very medical Dr. but he knows what he is doing and is extremely capable. I asked him about getting an epidural vs. going natural and he said he would do whatever I wanted, he really wants to make sure that his patients have a good birthing experience.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2016

I would never use him for my pregnancy or labor or both. He does so many C-sections and forceps births. I don't know who these mothers are that are saying he's so great they're all just on the bandwagon. He doesn't believe in women's ability to go to labor and birth and have a positive experience at all and he doesn't care either. He needs to retire.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Dr Judd has delivered all 4 of my kids and I couldn't trust him more. With my last baby (last week) he came in when he wasn't on call at 10pm and saved me from having an emergency c-section. He came in and within 20 minutes of him coming in I had delivered the baby. He is the most experience and knowledgeable in his field and I can't thank him enough for what he did! He is very honest and will answer any and all questions I have and I have loved having him as my doctor! I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

I've been to dr Judd for 4 pregnancies now. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy but will give you all of the information you ever need. He is never in a rush and will spend as much time with you as needed. It's not very often I have to wait more than a few minutes in his office. The few times there is a wait it's because of an emergency or he is out delivering a baby :)

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Dr Judd refused to give me pain medicine for 30 hours of my 33 hour labor until the nurses reported I was going into shock. I went into labor on a Friday evening. By Saturday afternoon, when asked why he wouldn't give me an epidural he said, "Why would I want to work on the weekend?". He explained that giving me an epidural would accelerate my labor and he was hoping I would not give birth on the weekend when he was on call. I suffered unnecessarily at his hand until my safety and the baby's was at risk, until he was forced to help me. After the epidural, my body relaxed and the Baby came in three hours. I feel that what he did to me was terrible, especially because he earlier told me Lamaze classes were unnecessary because I was just going to get an epidural anyway.

Submitted June 25, 2015

I LOVE Dr. Judd! He took me as a late transfer from a midwife group with my first pregnancy and I am so glad I switched! He is one of the most experienced in the field and is very knowledgeable and skilled. He tells it like it is. I felt very safe in his care and trusted his judgement. The most important factors to me were my health and my baby's health and safety, and that is what his top priorities are, too. He's not going to sing you lullabies or rub your feet during labor, but he will make absolutely certain that you and your baby are safe and healthy. On top of that, he will not make you go through more pain than necessary. Actually, he prefers the opposite! At 39 weeks and 2 days I had an elective induction with him. I was about 3 cm and partially effaced when we started but I had a 'favorable' cervix and it all went wonderfully! I felt very little pain throughout the whole process - I had an epidural administered before any big contractions hit, I didn't even feel my water break, and I only pushed for 4 MINUTES! With my first baby! It was so amazing. I would highly recommend him and I seriously hope he doesn't retire before I'm done having babies! Also, he's hilarious! My husband and I both loved going to our appointments with him because he made us both laugh and made us feel very comfortable.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

I believe Dr. Judd to be extremely knowledgeable and has in his heart the desire to do what's best for a mother and baby. Some women dislike his humor and others feel that his opinion comes across as pushy, but always I have only found him to tell me straight up how he feels if I ask, and he always lets it be my decision without judging me. If he ever seems against a practice or idea, I've found he usually has many experiences and reasons for thinking the way he does. A good man and an excellent doctor all around!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Dr. Thomas E. Judd's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, San Francisco, Sch Of Med, San Francisco Ca 94143 (Grad. 1972)