Ratings for Dr. Thomas E. Judd

I am coming back 4 years later to leave a review because we just had our second child, and I had no idea how terrible our experience with Dr. Judd was until seeing it could have been so different. Yes, he is straightforward and no nonsense, but he does not encourage the least bit of patient empowerment/education. He wanted to make all of the calls and talked in a way that made sure we knew that he was the expert. No doubt he knows what he's doing in the way of procedures, but there was almost no patient advocacy. I just followed his birthplan for me to the point of having my baby around the time he predicted. He utilized several things to try to hurry the process, and did use forceps to get my baby out by 2 p.m. And while he was sewing up my episiotomy (no doubt necessary for the forceps to fit), he was on the phone with a nurse at another hospital who had his next surgery patient under anesthesia and ready for him. It's great that he sees so many patients, and has a lot of experience with medical-intervention-type births, but at the same time it's not great at all. He has no time to allow you and your baby to get through the birth process, there's no time for you to make judgement calls as he makes them for you, and he's on such a tight schedule that he is incentivized to rush through things. I would definitely recommend finding another OB/GYN or midwife. One who will support you in the birthplan you want, and help you find resources so you can formulate a plan with research and education backing it. I will also say that he was incredibly offensive one appointment and told my husband and I, "If you see a doula, run her over. Then back over her and run over her again." With my second birth, we also delivered at a hospital with an OB/GYN, but this time we had a doula assist with labor. She transformed our birthing experience and educated us to be able to create an incredibly special and empowering experience for our family. Because Dr. Judd very explicitly steered us away from this the first time around, it emphasizes the fact that he wants to be the one making all decisions, instead of the patient. Just do yourself and your family a favor, and find a doctor who will support you, not just insert you into the plan they already have in their head. You can and will have a better experience with someone else.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

Anyone who gives another rating other than this is claiming to know more than him. We had three pregnancies and deliveries by his hand and would do it all three more times. Straight forward and no nonsense are words I would use to describe him. He has delivered ten times the babies of the next closest OB anywhere but wouldn't brag about it. It's a fact. If you think that a birthing center or home would suffice instead of using Dr. Judd, then you are delusional. I have been a full time Paramedic for ten years and those people call me to fix their nightmares...I'm not who you want for that sort of thing. You want Dr.Judd for any OB/GYN related care. End of story. We have nothing bad to say about this man or his practice.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2016

I really have appreciated Dr. Judd so far he has a really funny dry sense of humor and always answers all my questions directly. He is known for having the lowest C-Section rate in Utah County. Women that have said rude comments about him either don't get his sense of humor or should just go to a Midwife if they don't want a Dr. that believes in using modern medicine. He is a very medical Dr. but he knows what he is doing and is extremely capable. I asked him about getting an epidural vs. going natural and he said he would do whatever I wanted, he really wants to make sure that his patients have a good birthing experience.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2016

I would never use him for my pregnancy or labor or both. He does so many C-sections and forceps births. I don't know who these mothers are that are saying he's so great they're all just on the bandwagon. He doesn't believe in women's ability to go to labor and birth and have a positive experience at all and he doesn't care either. He needs to retire.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2016

Dr Judd has delivered all 4 of my kids and I couldn't trust him more. With my last baby (last week) he came in when he wasn't on call at 10pm and saved me from having an emergency c-section. He came in and within 20 minutes of him coming in I had delivered the baby. He is the most experience and knowledgeable in his field and I can't thank him enough for what he did! He is very honest and will answer any and all questions I have and I have loved having him as my doctor! I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

I've been to dr Judd for 4 pregnancies now. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy but will give you all of the information you ever need. He is never in a rush and will spend as much time with you as needed. It's not very often I have to wait more than a few minutes in his office. The few times there is a wait it's because of an emergency or he is out delivering a baby :)

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Dr Judd refused to give me pain medicine for 30 hours of my 33 hour labor until the nurses reported I was going into shock. I went into labor on a Friday evening. By Saturday afternoon, when asked why he wouldn't give me an epidural he said, "Why would I want to work on the weekend?". He explained that giving me an epidural would accelerate my labor and he was hoping I would not give birth on the weekend when he was on call. I suffered unnecessarily at his hand until my safety and the baby's was at risk, until he was forced to help me. After the epidural, my body relaxed and the Baby came in three hours. I feel that what he did to me was terrible, especially because he earlier told me Lamaze classes were unnecessary because I was just going to get an epidural anyway.

Submitted June 25, 2015

I LOVE Dr. Judd! He took me as a late transfer from a midwife group with my first pregnancy and I am so glad I switched! He is one of the most experienced in the field and is very knowledgeable and skilled. He tells it like it is. I felt very safe in his care and trusted his judgement. The most important factors to me were my health and my baby's health and safety, and that is what his top priorities are, too. He's not going to sing you lullabies or rub your feet during labor, but he will make absolutely certain that you and your baby are safe and healthy. On top of that, he will not make you go through more pain than necessary. Actually, he prefers the opposite! At 39 weeks and 2 days I had an elective induction with him. I was about 3 cm and partially effaced when we started but I had a 'favorable' cervix and it all went wonderfully! I felt very little pain throughout the whole process - I had an epidural administered before any big contractions hit, I didn't even feel my water break, and I only pushed for 4 MINUTES! With my first baby! It was so amazing. I would highly recommend him and I seriously hope he doesn't retire before I'm done having babies! Also, he's hilarious! My husband and I both loved going to our appointments with him because he made us both laugh and made us feel very comfortable.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

I believe Dr. Judd to be extremely knowledgeable and has in his heart the desire to do what's best for a mother and baby. Some women dislike his humor and others feel that his opinion comes across as pushy, but always I have only found him to tell me straight up how he feels if I ask, and he always lets it be my decision without judging me. If he ever seems against a practice or idea, I've found he usually has many experiences and reasons for thinking the way he does. A good man and an excellent doctor all around!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

Dr Judd Delivered my first child (2012) . As with all the other comments, he is a very busy doctor so sometimes the waits can be long in the office. The staff in his office are very nice and seem excited for you and your pregnancy. He has very dry humor and is one of those personalities you may or may not like. I never felt rushed through any appt. He will chat with you and is very friendly but has very sarcastic remarks when you ask things about pregnancy. If you ask "I have heartburn is there anything I can do? " his response will be "well, you shouldnt have gotten pregnant" Of course he is joking, but I know that can rub people the wrong way. He will truthfully answer when you have a complication or concern and knows what he is talking about. He is a very "medical" doctor during your delivery, he does what is best for you and the baby. If you trust in him and his judgement you will be fine. He does like to induce and get babies out as quickly as possible. I was completely comfortable during my labor and delivery and when he noticed that I was not stretching enough to get the baby out he cut me a little instead of letting me tear and cause more problems. This made delivery go by much quicker, which I appreciated. The only issue I had was when I was in the hospital the nurses had to keep calling him to come in because he didn't believe that a "first time baby" would be coming so quickly. He almost missed the birth. If you are looking for a medical approach, he is a great doctor. If you are looking for natural, midwife or unmedicated, I would go somewhere else.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2015

Dr. Thomas E. Judd's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, San Francisco, Sch Of Med, San Francisco Ca 94143 (Grad. 1972)