Ratings for Dr. John D. Douthit

Very poor doctor. Doesn't listen, is dismissive. Harps on weight loss as solution to every problem, even when say you are not interested. Suggests ridiculous things such as a diet where you starve yourself every other day. Gave me a "diet tip sheet" containing advice like "Don't have variety in your diet, that just means more calories!" It sounded like he got it off a pro-ana blog. Also harps on silly, unproven things like resveratrol-- he even said I should drink MORE than I do currently "for my health". Tried to diagnose my husband with pre-diabetes only because he is fat, despite an a1c of 3.9 (far below normal). Medical assistants are not very knowledgeable, are completely unfamiliar with common medications like levothyroxine, metformin and Symbicort. They also give you guff if you ask for the proper size blood pressure cuff for an accurate BP measurement. Very poor practice, would not recommend to anyone.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2011

I came to see this doctor for siatic nerve pain and problems with my lumbar spine. He sent me to get an MRI which showed 2 herniated discs. He reffered me to a surgeon who set me up for surgery to have a disc removed so it would stop pushing on my spine. Dr Douthit didnt even read my MRI fully so when I called him to get his opinion at first he basically told me I was lying and my MRI didn't show that. He refused to give me anything for the pain. He called me later and apoligized and admitted to not reading the MRI report correctly and admitted to me that I had a huge problem with my back and ended with writing me a script for some pain relief and said "call back if you run out and I will get you more." When I did run out I called with no answer, I came in and was told to set an appointment, I paid and arrived at the appointment and he was sooo rude to me I nearly cried and he sent me home with no my pain meds. He is lazy and judgemental. If you are in pain RUN and go some where else.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2009

Dr. John D. Douthit's Credentials

• University Of Kansas School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)