Ratings for Dr. Steve R. Lobacz

I was treated by Dr. Lobacz between 2006 and 2008. Echoing the experience of the previous reviewer, I was once in the process of switching therapists in 2007 when I received a call from Dr. Lobacz telling me that my parents had contacted him saying they were worried (and rightfully so according to him) and that I needed to go back to therapy. I once told him of a crush I had on a male friend's girlfriend and he replied, "I think you have a crush on him." He later wrote me seemingly excessive scripts for xanax (180 with three refills) and repeatedly told me that we needed to talk about my love life when I brought up troubles with work, school, platonic friendships, or family issues. Anytime I brought up my love life, such as a date with a woman, he brushed it off and changed the subject. Like the previous reviewer, he told me I was lazy and responded to complaints about the lack of familial support as a youth with a shoulder shrug and a "some kids get nothing." He also called my father close to a year after our last session demanding 10$ for which he had accidentally underbilled me/our insurance, shouting over the phone. Dr. Lobacz never shared what type of therapy he was practicing (and I'm pretty sure he holds an MD in psychiatry and no therapeutic/counselling degrees), so I had no way of knowing if he was serious or if he was attempting to perform psychodrama. I grew increasingly uncomfortable with him after these experiences. I would not recommend Dr. Lobacz.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

I tried to end therapy but he thinks its a game. I have tried to connect but can't talk to him about my emotions. He called me stubborn, lazy and spoiled.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

Dr. Lobacz is friendly, humble, helpful and very flexible and accomodating to my schedule. I love that he offers therapy sessions as well as consultations (a lot of shrinks farm that out to therapists these days). He is very good at offering simple, practical suggestions to complex issues. The office where we meet is located in an old church in North Chicago and is very informal; despite my discomfort with religion, the informality of his office really helps me relax, open up and look forward to my visits with him. He doesn't employ staff and is involved in all aspects of his practice. I never feel like he is rushing me out the door to get to his next patient. I have worked with 4 or 5 psychiatrists in my life and Dr. Lobacz is by far the best in my opinion; I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2011

Dr. Lobacz is extremely collaborative. He has no imperial syndrome. He always returned my calles, listened patiently, and often spent 15-20 minutes on the phone--free of charge. His intake was 90 minutes and his medication management meetings are 50 minutes, almost unheard of in psychiatry. He's like a caring, old-time doctor who is young. And he's gay friendly.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2009

Dr. Steve R. Lobacz's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1994)