Ratings for Dr. Allan Craig Downs

Dr. Downs helped me put a name to the all-encompassing pseudo"safety blanket" that has governed my existence all my life-which is anxiety. Because of him, I have learned how to recognize it and take steps in overcoming it every time it rears its head. In the four years that I have been going to him, Dr. Downs helped me find my inner mature person which is a hard thing for me to do. I still have a lot of take-home assignments to do but so far my sessions with Dr. Downs helped me to realize that: 1. It is okay to be who I am - anxiety-filled and all 2. everyone has a story of their own that influences their actions to other people and 3. people sometimes have a tendency to dissipate their tensions and bad feelings to others. At the risk of sounding like a oft-spoken cliche, he truly saved my life. Thank you Dr. Downs for continuing to be the strong boulder that receives the hard slaps of life's tidal waves.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2016

My experience is Downs works with willing and ready patients. Therapy is tough work, and not for the faint hearted or close minded. Experienced, diversity knowledge base, able to interpret well and reframe to help one understand dynamics. If you're looking to dig deep and get through issues, he's a great doctor for you, looking for sugar coating...keep looking for an alternative therapist! Thanks Doc.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

I am astounded at some of the comments on here about Dr. Downs. I have worked with him for years and never have experienced some of the situations I have read here. I realize that everybody is entitled to their opinions, but these types of sites could really take down someone's reputation. The Dr. Downs I know is caring, extremely knowledgeable, and has helped me so many times , and in times of crisis, that I probably wouldn't be here today, if not for him. He is actually extremely easy to talk to, has a sense of humor ( rare for a psychiatrist) and I have never known him to be rude or arrogant. Anyone that gets a chance to work with him, should consider themselves lucky.The whole point of therapy is to have to face the unpleasant truths about ourselves, and family members, and learn to apply that knowledge to be happier in life. Dr. Downs is the one to guide you through that, no matter how long it takes, or how painful that may be. I have referred and would gladly refer anyone I know ,to see Dr. Downs.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2015

Dr Down's is an awful psychiatrist - I mean - he can write up a prescription just fine, but he should really leave the counselling to others. He did not provide any helpful counsel other than to cut my family out of my life and let the "forces of nature" be. Essentially I'm supposed to forget about having hope and a future because the problems lie in my family dynamics and genetics. Wasted my time and I sincerely hope anyone who reads this before they hope he can help.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Dr Dons is awful as a phyciatrist. Here is if anything very stvery unprofessional, he is a supporter and supplier for most if not all of his patients to become drug abused and suicidal. is not the help heis patients need nor require not to mention it is not proper behavior for a licensed psychiatrist. in my opinion Dr Downs is nothing but a enabler . and a legal drug pusher.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Very unprofessional, someone you do not want to your child or anyone to see. I know of someone who has been seeing him since a teenager and is now an ADULT. The person who is seeing him has tried to commit suicide on numerous occasions as a cry for help and unfortunately they are NOT getting the help they require. Dr. Downs will not speak to family members when they call with concerns. He apparently gives advice to the patient to disassociate themselves with people who are trying nothing but to help him. I'm sorry a professional does not give advice to a patient. Telling them to cut these individuals out of their life who have been nothing but supportive and are worried, seriously? What I don't get is why he isn't referring them to an adult psychiatrist for better treatment? No, he just continues on seeing them and this person is not getting better in fact they are getting worse. To date the family is still waiting for them to get better and should this individual succeed in committing suicide who will then be at fault and to blame because Dr. Downs won't step up to the plate like he should. As one person wrote, they wish they got the year back they spent seeing him as he did nothing for them what so ever!!!!!!

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

Just a class act, and an even better person if that is possible.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2015

Misdiagnosed our son and refused to prescribe him any medication - preferring to blame family dynamics instead. Wasted our time and put our son at additional risk.

Submitted March 12, 2015

I sincerely wish I could have the months of my life spent on this man's couch back. He was rude, arrogant, and talked more than he listened. He bragged constantly about the amount of time he had spent in his field while delivering no evidence of anything learned in that time. Every therapy session was about him and how great he was, not about me the patient. I cannot stress enough how much worse he made me feel, and now I'm too jaded to give any other therapist the time of day. I feel more angry and alone now than I ever did before I met him.

Submitted January 26, 2015

My daughter saw him for 9 months. We got very little help or explanations.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2013