Ratings for Dr. Chris Lai

He was late and did not seem to care. Over an hour both times.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2016

I also had read the comments here before going and I was curious to see what would happen. I was completely impressed in every area. The staff were pleasant, helpful and funny in a quiet way so the atmosphere was always quiet and respectful. Dr. Henderson was interning under Dr. Lai and I was sent to visit with him for a very long relaxed interview before Dr. Lai came in to complete the interview. Attention was paid to every area of my issue. I could not say more positive comments on my experience with Dr. Lai and his staff. I suspect if you had a bad experience in this office you might look closely at your own day, perhaps you were having a difficult time personally on that given day.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2015

To be honest, I was rather apprehensive about seeing Dr. Lai after reading some of the comments here, but my own experience with him turned out to be wonderful -- and I'm not an easy-going patient. I went into my appointment with Dr. Lai ready to do battle because I felt there were problems with a test result and I wasn't prepared to follow a treatment plan until the test had been redone. Based on some of my other experiences with specialists in Tbay, I was prepared to have to fight with a doctor who was rushing through his appointments and dismissing my concerns. But Dr. Lai did not seem rushed at all in our meeting. In fact, I saw him pick up my file on the way into his office and sit there and read it with his door open before calling me in. When I went in I found him calm and approachable. He listened while I shared my concerns about the test, and said he also had concerns about one of the things that was bothering me. He asked me a lot of questions about my symptoms, said he suspected I might have been misdiagnosed, and ordered some more tests. No talk of how to treat the thing at all until a proper diagnoses had been made. So instead of feeling like I had to fight to be heard, I actually felt listened to by Dr. Lai. Another thing that impressed me was that he sends all new patients to see his pharmacists before your consultation in order to make sure he knows exactly what you're putting in your body that might react with anything he prescribes. All doctors should be so thorough but many aren't. And his pharmacist, Justus, was a super nice guy. As for Dr. Lai's front office staff, I can't say I had any problems with them. They weren't all beaming rays of sunshine, but nobody was rude or curt to me. So, while some people here have clearly not had great encounters with Dr. Lai, and I don't want to diminish their experience, I can attest to the fact that this is not a universal phenomenon. I personally was overjoyed after leaving his office because after several bad experiences with doctors and specialists since moving to Thunder Bay I felt for once I'd found a good one!

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

Dr. Lai is a wonderful knowledgeable doctor. As for his blonde secretary - rude and arrogant and very unprofessional!

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

Staff EXTREMELY rude!He discharged me from the hospital when I had a rare heart tumor and 27 weeks pregnant and still didnt think it was worth keeping me in the hospital for.. My Ob gyno doctor was the one who found me a heart surgeon in toronto, and made arrangements for me to get there. You would think that would have been from my cardiologist.I found him very useless in my situation and I have not heard great things from anyone else I know who has seen him.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2012

I find his staff extremely rude. He seems to be very arrogant and flirts with his staff members. He doesn't truly care about his patients and does not show true compassion for his work.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2011

He used to have a friendly, helpful staff, now they are very difficult to deal with, sometimes to the point of being rude. They close themselves behind a door with an opening and you have to talk to them through the door. Dr. Lai is knowledgeable on most things but he is quick to hand out prescriptions and doesn't seem to care if you are having side effects. Very difficult to get in touch with if you have problems or emergencies.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2010

This doctor prescribed mega medications for my husband, resulting in a year-long succession of diarrhea, dehydration and other side-effects. His druggist suggested he reconsider some of the meds, and the dr refused. Finally family Dr, and hospital regulated his problems. We found him unavailable in crisis events. BE ALERT!!

flag | Submitted April 4, 2010

As a patient you must advocate for yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions.Stand your ground with his receptionist. In his rush at my father's last visit, he made a significant error writing out an incorrect prescription for a narcotic pain patch instead of a nitro patch. When the pharmacist brought it to his attention he tripled the dosage!!BE AWARE!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2010

He is very knowledgeable. Great bed side manner at both the hospital and in his office. He makes sure he spends enough time with you to explain what is happening. His staff in the clinic are very helpful and friendly.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2009