Ratings for Dr. Robert H. Varney

Terrible bedside manner and arrogant beyond I have ever experienced. He was assigned to my case at Frederick Memorial Hospital in February 2012. While he, thankfully, deemed that surgery was not necessary, his manner and what he said to me was out of line. When I asked about anesthesia, (had minor surgery been needed), he said, "What makes you so special?" He was totally unsympathetic to my severe pain. I pray that I never encounter him again in a hospital setting and that people I care about never are put in the position of having to deal with him.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2012

Awful bedside manner. Completely unsympathetic while I was suddenly dealing with a life-threating illness.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2012

Dr Varney first fixed on my wife's abdominal hernia, and after seeing how well that turned out, he fixed mine 6 months later. His bedside manner could seem to be stand-offish, but considering how long he knows his patients, how personable can he be? I saw him 3 times for a total of maybe 1.5 - 2 hours (and that includes 45 minutes of surgery). I think he's a fine general surgeon and would have no problem going back for additional work, if needed.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2010

The doctor was not caring and his comments could be very disturbing and disheartening. Also heard of a botched surgery from a personal friend.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2009

Has performed surgery on my entire family, and is extremely capable of his craft. His staff is most excellent and has helped no matter the situation.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2008

Dr. Robert H. Varney's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1972)

Beech Street Corporation