Ratings for Dr. D. McPhalen

Dr. D. McPhalen is the most terrible and irresponsible doctor we have met in Canada. We have been following up with him every year in the last 5-6 years since our son was born due to my son's eye lid birthmark. Like other people commented here as well he wouldn't do surgery until my son turns to 5. When the year 5 comes, he started recommending us trying laser and all kinds of different excuses not wanting do the surgery for my son. When we followed up with him before, he said he would be the one who do the surgery not anybody else such as students. Today was supposed to be the last appointment before the surgery and he said he might not be one who does the surgery and can not promise. Since you guys want some doctor does the surgery himself, maybe you should try US or some private doctor. I will refer you back to your family doctor. I don't want to be your doctor. Just like that, he kicked out my wife and my loved son out and left. What a ridiculous and terrible excuse! We know he should still be the doctor who personally does the surgery himself. What a terrible liar! In the last few years, he also kept changing the surgery plan ideas. It looks like he is not completely confident and doesn't exactly know what he is going to do. I know my son surgery is not easy which is close to the eye. We wasted 5 years and now we have to start finding new doctors. I am so glad he is not my son's doctor now, because we know we can not trust him any more any way.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

He did surgery in my daughters ear, he was incredible with her and very kind and comforting. What a blessing he is to health care.8

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

He has been my plastic surgeon for years. He stepped up to the plate when no one else would and made an incredible difference in my life. This man is so kind and compassionate. He always squeezes my appointments in and always made sure I understood everything when I was a child. My quality of life would not have been the same without him. He is incredibly skilled and my surgeries were incredibly dangerous. He really is as good as everyone else says. It will be a sad day when he retires.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2016

Had my first consult with him today and left extremely unimpressed. He didn't seem to listen to our concerns or feelings towards the medium sized nevus sebbaceous on our 14 month olds head. He out right refused to do a removal of it till our son was 5 since new research that hasn't been proven says putting him under before that age is detrimental to his development. We wanted it removed sooner then later so he doesnt get teased about it or have to under go a surgical procedure and a two week recovery while trying to adjust to going to school ect. Dr. Mcphalin didn't even seem to want to hear anything from us and told us we could go see another surgeon if we wanted. I found him quite rude.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2016

I was born with a giant congenital nevus covering well over half my body. We went to see Dr.Macphalen for 36 operations between the ages of 8 months and 10 years, and are more than thrilled with his work. Even as a child he made sure to listen to what I had to say and answered not only my parent's questions but mine as well; which can be rare for a surgeon. His calm and soft spoken bedside manor always left us feeling calm and confident in his knowledge and skills, making the long road of tissue expanders and weekly inflation visits easier. When I needed work done that he felt was beyond his expertise, he referred me to a previous student of his that had observed him work on me in the past and even assisted her in the OR to make me feel better. Not enough great things to say about Don!!!

flag | Submitted January 4, 2013

We have gone to see him - for my son - on several occaisions! He is LOVELY to him and to us! Which sometimes isn't the case! My son has a rare genetic disorder - that causes any scar to be a stretched out and deep scar! You can NOT see where Dr. McPhalen operated! Also we went to see him for some jaw surgery, he was honest and said he didn't think he could do anything for my son. Phoned his friend - one of the best jaw surgeons in North America - within 2 weeks my son had surgery to remove 5 MASSIVE growths from his jaw! We LOVE Dr. McPhalen and of course the Childrens Hospital!

flag | Submitted November 15, 2012

I took my son to see Dr.Mcphalen for a sacral dimple on his back when he was 8 months old....at the time I found him to be very caring and reassuring. However after my son had an MRI to assess the dimple I received a call from another Dr's office saying that we had been referred to them by Dr.Mcphalen, before I had a chance to discuss the results and find out what was happening with my son. I feel that he and his staff acted irresponsibly by making the referral before seeing my son, and sending me into a panic thinking the problem was something serious.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2012

Extremely competent and friendly, have been taking my son to him for years, and have absolute trust in his abilities.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2012

He has been seeing my child for 11 years, and has performed 3 seperate procedures to date. I know this man to be an amazing surgeon! His work on my sons face has left many shocked that he was (is) a Cleft Lip and Palate baby. You cant even tell. His knowledge, soft spoken nature and talent as a surgeon drew me to ask for him as the surgeon for my sons next surgery in 5 days! I would trust this man with my most precious gift!! Oh wait... I DID! and do!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2012

Dr. McPhalen (aka McFail'n)is a terrible plastic surgeon. He recommended the removal of a tiny cyst on my child's chest, and ended up leaving a wide, jagged, irregular, and inflammed 2.5 inch scar. Another plastic surgeon whom we consulted after the fact was appalled at McPhalen's work. Do not let this man anywhere near you or your loved ones. In my view, he should not be practicing.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2011