Ratings for Dr. Lloyd Mah

I have been experiencing puzzling eye problems for the last three years. My family doctor referred me to Dr. Mah while at the same time setting up appointments with two specialists. I visited Dr. Mah first and he spent quite some time with me doing extensive tests and then patiently explaining to me using online references what he thought the problem might be. Over the next two years, I had many appointments with the two specialists (and eventually a third) and had many tests done. While these all confirmed what wasn’t causing my problems by process of elimination, I was offered no explanation as to what was causing the problem. So I made a second appointment with Dr. Mah and he again patiently demonstrated to me what the problem was, again explaining why by showing me references, and then proposing what would help me. I all made perfect sense to me. I found him and his whole staff to be kind, helpful, and sympathetic, They all have my highest recommendation.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

I am very grateful. They've been helping to improve my daughter's congenital eye condition. One of the eyes moves out of synch in some cases, quite noticeable. The ophthalmologist says that is because of the muscles, and that only a surgery might help. Another specialist advised to see a developmental optometrist, and I chose Dr. Mah. He did a thorough exam, answered all our questions and prescribed eye exercises. I bring my daughter to their clinic once every 2 weeks for a re-assessment by their eye training specialist, and we do exercises at home every day with the materials and software they provided. We have now been doing this for 2.5 months, and both I and my daughter's teacher see an improvement. The issue is still there but the eye movements look noticeably more synchronized. My daughter is now 7, so she already cooperates better than if we started that a year or 2 ago, I think. We will definitely continue with the training. And also I myself had an eye exam done by Dr. Mah, and I am very happy. Very comprehensive, different kinds of imaging (if I remember correctly, they took pictures of the inside of my eyes with 3 different machines), and the doctor looked himself with a magnifier, with the lenses, etc. I felt he did have a good and detailed look. He answered my questions and clarified my concerns, gave an advice. He is very knowleageble and a nice person. I recommend Dr. Mah.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2017

I have taken my children to see Dr. Mah and have felt very frustrated leaving his office each time. He never explains my children's exam results. When I try and ask what things mean, he seems to get frustrated and never clarifies things. Basically I walk out of his office not knowing what's going on. Be ware, this office will also nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING! A family member had gone in to have their eyes tested and the machine that measures your eye pressure wasn't working properly and tested the eye pressure on the high side. The doctor recommended a follow-up and the appointment mentioned that the machine wasn't working properly. Long story short they charged for the appointment again when it was their fault that the equipment wasn't working properly. Unbelievable! No customer service or care what so ever! I should also mention that they are never on time and have kept us waiting for up to an hour. I am in the process of looking for a new eye doctor.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Dr. Mah has been our family Optomotrist for years. He is very knowledgable and takes extra time to not only answer my questions regarding my family but as a teacher he takes extra time to answer my questions regarding vision concerns in young readers. One of my children has completed his vision tracking program and the time and expense was very much worth it. My son went from reading two years below grade level to reading a year above grade level over an 18 month period. I highly recommend seeing Dr. Mah if your children have been struggling to learn to read.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2017

I have been going to Dr. Mah since I was young. He is extremely knowledgeable and precise. I appreciate that he doesn't rush anything and he always gives every issue I have a lot of thought. I have been seeing him for my post laser eye surgery woes and he has helped me greatly. I Highly recommend him and his great staff.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2017

Not a personable dr. Very staunch and abrupt. Expect patient to be very precise with problem. Would expect the dr. to know what the patient is trying to explain as he must have seen cases and not get exasperated. This is the worse optermetrist I have seen and I think he is overrated unless one is of the same character. There is more to talent and I only went to him because of move and there are some questionable charges that I was not charged before. Going back to my old friendly optometrist who treats a patient with dignity vs being chided for not clarifying precisely. I was really afraid in that silent sterile room - can't hear a pin drop! The staff must have thick skin. Perhaps, learn to smile from your staff. Not recommend and coincidently just found out a coworker friend also sees Dr. Mah and is not planning to go back.

Submitted April 14, 2017

Our kids come here, and he has also seen one of my parents post-cataract surgery. Excellent knowledge, professional & courteous, and the lab and front-desk staff are also great. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2016

Dr Mah has been my optometrist since I was young excluding a few year hiatus in Alberta. June 2012 I suffered a traumatic brain injury. It was a severe concussion that left me off work for many months hidden in the house away from light, sound and life. I suffered chronic debilitating migraines. Everything seemed to be a trigger. I eliminated foods, activities and changed my surroundings to try to aleviate the pain I was suffering. I saw Dr Mah in November after my injury for a routine eye exam. I told him about my suffering and he told me about a program he offered of perceptual development. I didn't think much of it, got some glasses and moved on. Fast forward two years and November 2014 came around. Time for my next routine eye exam. This time i comlained that when driving if the sun was behind the trees the flashing of light gave me migraines along with the same issues I was having before; two and a half years after my injury and I was still plagued with the same problems. This time when he mentioned the perceptual development program I took more interest. I started the 10 week course a couple of months later. I looked at the first week's exercise and I have to admit I wasn't sure how this would help me. I admit I was wrong. Every week I was challenged in a way I didn't realize I needed. This program brought to light some of the many issues I was having that I didn't realize were there. Balance - I had no idea I couldn't walk sideways along a small board laid on the ground without falling off. My balance was a disaster.  I didn't realize I couldn't track a tennis ball with my eyes or that it would be so difficult. I was surprised to find out what damage was truly done to my brain. Fast forward many more than 10 weeks. The course took me a long time. I had to slow down and re-do exercises until I could do them without headaches. I was relieved. I was shocked. All the issues I was having before are muted if not eradicated completely. I cannot say enough good things not only about Dr. Mah but about the perceptual development program he has. It truly made such a difference in my life and I am forever grateful. It has been almost 4 years since my brain injury and I finally have the relief I was looking for thanks to this program. I feel like I have my life back.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016

Dr. Mah is a very caring, professional. I would give him 10 out of 10.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

Our family Doctor recommended Dr. Mah because he and his colleagues go to him and consider him to be the best. We feel very lucky to have found Dr. Mah and would not consider going anywhere else.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2014