Ratings for Dr. Andrew Furey

Fell and fractured my foot in early June while on vacation, also broke 2 toes and sprained my other foot too. Saw dr. Furey when I returned and had the worst dr visit I have ever experienced. He did not even remove the orthopaedic boot I was wearing to assess. Just grabbed my foot where it was broke and said yep it's broken. When I asked about using the crutches he dismissed them completely and said I didn't need them. With two injured feet and major swelling I certainly did need them at least for a couple of more days. I then asked about returning to work as my job causes me to be on my feet most of the day, his statement was if it was me I would be working. I told him again my concerns about my job and he repeated the same thing and told me to take it up with my family doctor. I have been working for over 35 years and other than having 1 surgery 10 years ago have had less than 10 sick days in my career. He was so abrupt and rude he made me feel like I was trying to get time off when it wasn't needed. His consultation was all of ten minutes and I left in tears and called my family doctor who scheduled another appointment with another specialist. Dr. Furey was rude and definitely not compassionate. I waited for 2 hours in his waiting room only to be broken down by his lack of compassion and professionalism . I think he has a GOD complex and should get over himself and be the doctor he probably planned on being, but after my experience I don't know if that is possible

flag | Submitted July 21, 2016

I suffered a significant trauma which required a complicated plan, a rapid response, and years of follow-up. At all times, I was well informed, he clearly explained my options, followed up daily, then every few days, then weekly then monthly for years - in other words, he gave me the level of care and attention I needed when I medically needed it. Imho, he provided medical care and encouragement the likes of which feel-good movies are made of. When I needed critical care and painstaking follow-up, he and his trauma team and office staff made me feel like I was his only patient, day and night, for months. I have raved about the outstanding care I received to all who will listen. That includes emergency trauma care, bedside post ops, and follow ups. He is not a cheerleader. (Some called him "Dr. doom and gloom" I guess because he seems to manage expectations and not promise things he can't guarantee. ) He consistently under-promised and over-delivered. He is frank and straightforward in his assessment about weighing risks and benefits, logical and methodical in his approach, and considers the person and that person's pre-accident lifestyle / activity level and type before committing to a plan . Perhaps that isn't for everyone and it explains some peoples' reactions to him, but it was exactly what I needed: honesty and a good dose of reality. I would recommend him unequivocally. And his staff? Very good. They always provided what I asked for in a timely fashion in accordance with the level of response that was medically necessary at that time.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

I was assigned to Dr. Furey after visiting the Emengercy Room at St. Clair's Hospital. I had waited an hour and a half after my scheduled appointment time. The resident asked me a few questions without reading my chart, but I didn't mind answering them. Then he had to ask Dr. Furey how to examine my ruptured achilles tendon which is fine because he is learning, then Furey touched my leg and left the room. No one answered any of my questions, I have no idea when I'll be able to walk. I left very frustrated. I thought it was very rude, and unsettling that this was the service I was receiving. I had to go to my family doctor to receive some answers .

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

I had a major car accident and destroy my hip thanks to Dr furey I am able to walk again. Has excellent bed side and a amazing surgeon

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

Best of the best.!!! Dr. Furey treated my 2 broken arms, he is awesome.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2015

(23M) I recently had a consultation with Dr. Andrew Furey about a torn ACL. When I first received the appointment with Dr. Furey I was excited to chat and weight my options. I looked online for bio's and articles by him and noticed he volunteered in Haiti 2010 and set up his own foundation called "Broken Earth" shortly after returning home. I was pleasantly surprised; I've had very rude, unhelpful, uncompassionate, doctors in the past so I was looking forward to our meeting. Day of my appointment we got there in plenty of time, wait time wasn't long, about an hour. When I got called into the examination room it was nice, clean and professional. First his resident Orthopedic doctor took a look at me did a couple test, which was fine. She was friendly and understanding, we talked about sports and how the injury happened. She left, we waited for about a minutes. Door opened, it was Furey and his resident doctor again, couldn't wait to get the process rolling get my knee fixed so I could continue playing sports. A couple arrogant, un-personable , rude comments later he was out of the exam room basically saying there was nothing he could do... with his secretary rushing me out. Dr Furey doesn't look at you like a patient he looks at you like a dollar sign, if its not in his interest he won't take you on as a patient with former resident doctors saying he schedules 40-60 people an hour(He gets paid by appointment) makes sense I was only there for 2 minutes tops. What hit me the most was his lack of empathy and compassion. If you get an appointment with him, ask to change. Their are better orthopedics on the island. Save yourself the headache.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2015

Dr. Andrew Furey was the Orthopedic Surgeon assigned when I shattered my distal radius (wrist) early in April. He recommended surgery, I was hesitant. In the end, the bones shifted and surgery was required. The process, procedure and end result was excellent. Six weeks following surgery, the wrist has healed well, with minimal scarring and significant mobility of the joint. I strongly recommend Dr. Furey as an orthopaedic surgeon.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

Rude, arrogant; know it all. Does not listen to his patients and has no interest in doing so. Very poor bedside manner and absolutely no compassion. In the wrong profession.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

The finest doctor I have ever met. Andrew Furey is the best of the best.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2014

The only negative issue I had was with the office staff. Very difficult to reach his receptionist and calls were rarely returned. Clinic visits at the hospital were usually on time, I was treated with respect and questions were answered. My condition was well managed and when the time came for surgery, the operation and recovery went extremely well. I would see Dr. Furey again and would recommend him to others. I found him to be a busy but, pleasant Dr.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2013