Ratings for Dr. Robert J. Black

He's not very interested in helping his patients. He doesn't want to be bothered with the time that it takes to tweak multi-focal contacts. He says that multi-focal contacts are useless and that no one is satisfied with them. Go elsewhere!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

Not very caring nor compassionate. Blunt, rude, not very interested in patient care or concerns. Go elsewhere!

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

My actual time with him was very fast because he knew what he was doing. The waiting time was a lot longer because he had many patients coming in for him and he seemed highly book. Overall, he was excellent with our one on one. If you are free for the day then definitely go to him. It doesn't take long for him to get the prescription right. But if you're in a hurry & have a busy schedule then find another doctor.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015

After a 3 hour wait, I only received a contact lens fitting, which was NOT the intent of my visit. My appointment was supposed to be for a full eye exam, which I did not receive. I was told I only needed an exam every two years, but if I wanted a full exam then it would be a longer wait. Funny, but it had been exactly two years since my last exam and they didn't even realize it. As I was checking out, I was told that they did not accept my insurance and I would be charged $89.00 for a contact lens fitting fee. I DID NOT WANT contacts! And today, I see they filed with my insurance company for $162.00. I will not be going back to Dr. Black or MUSC! The receptionist told me that she doesn't even go to him... she goes to WalMart!

flag | Submitted June 17, 2014

After a two hour wait for a repeat visit because I suspected my prescription was lower than it should be, I was essentially told I didn't know what I was talking about and the prescription was fine. I have been wearing glasses for 40 years. I have a sense of what is right for me. I will not be going back.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2014

Dr. Black was the worst eye doctor I have ever seen. He "fitted" me with contact lenses, and told me to wear them and come back if they were uncomfortable. Uncomfortable???!!! I knew they were wrong after 2 minutes in the office! Over the phone, they suggested remaking th contacts. When I made another appointment in a week, his office sent me a bill for follow-up visit. Still didn't work out the problem. He then said he would get them made one more time and mailed to my home. The result was contacts much larger in diameter than I usually wear, and I instinctively thought they were the wrong perscription. Back to his office (and another bill), and he said they were my perscription just in a larger size because some patients find that more comfortable. I left unsatisfied and had to search out a new doctor. Black should not be practicing.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2013

Worst visit I have ever been to. Very inattentive, suggested a strength that was lower then what I was currently wearing and had blurry vision in. A month later I find out they coded my visit as a medical diagnosis as I said I had "blurry vision" but I scheduled just an annual exam. NOW my insurance refuses to pay and I am stuck with large bills

flag | Submitted March 6, 2013

I was really dissappointed with the service I received from Dr. Black. Each appointment took a couple hours and I did not feel he was that attentive at all. He would have me put in a pair of lenses to try, go see another patient for 15 minutes and return, starting the process again. After expressing concern over the new lenses not feeling right, he was adamant that never happens and i was wrong. Will be seeing another optometrist from now on, as Dr. Black was not very helpful or open to listening.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2012

Terribly late every time I see him. Was first appointment in the morning and still didn't see him for 70 minutes!!! Very unapologetic about it all. Won't go back.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2010

I spent nearly $1000 on a contact lens exam, two pairs of lenses that didn't seem to fit properly, and new eyeglass lenses, only to realize 8 months later the prescription Dr Black was using was considerably off. Though he is a respected academician and knowledgeable, I'm sure, the high volume practice he runs means less attention is paid to individual patient care. In my case, he didn't devote much time to double checking the machine generated prescription manually. I found it hard to get back in to see him when I had problems and ate the cost of 3 pairs of corrective lenses. My new optometrist (and the other few I've had in 15 years) haven't required me to foot the bill for bad lenses. However, at Dr Black's office, a "CONTACT LENS POLICY" is a required part of the initial appointment paperwork, stating among other things, that "There can be no guarantee for visual outcome or comfort." Signing it was an expensive mistake, obviously I won't be going back, and don't recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2008