Ratings for Dr. Hershel Kagan

After nearly seven years as his patient, I find Dr. Kagan to be quite unfriendly and distant. He makes no effort to explain much of anything and is a bit passive aggressive, clinical and cold. He conveys little compassion and initially might offer a fake smile but no sincerity otherwise. His practice is efficent but he's clearly just going through the motions and seems to care little about understanding issues or origin of problem(s) and just treats symptoms (often poorly). He's the kind of doctor who one doesnt really want to speak with or open up to and he has a manner of judgement and arrogance. He's on autopilot. One of the worst doctors I've seen really. He's only really good for writing a prescription if you need one.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2018

I have been a patient of Dr. Kagan's for about 16 years and he has been wonderful seeing me through a variety of health related issues and the death of my wife in 2013. His nurse, Jan, was a delight and probably was the best nurse ever. Sadly, she retired a couple years ago and is missed by everyone. Dr. Kagan and I get along very well and he always gets to the bottom of things quickly and efficiently as he is very thorough. I am grateful to have him and the staff at there for looking after me so well all these years. He is never rude nor arrogant to me like some people have posted. I am very happy with the care I have received and continue to receive.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2018

I have mixed feelings about Dr. Kagan. On the plus side he is efficient, willing to listen, and seems basically competent. On the negative side he does not take initiative to resolve difficult problems and at times seems more like a gatekeeper for the healthcare system than an advocate for his patients. Unfortunately I can't be more specific because I don't want to offend him. It's not easy to change one's primary care physician so I try to cultivate a good relationship and get what I need from him.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2018

Seems reasonable unlike others involved in his practice. Clinical skills at the Central Ottawa Family Medical Association need greater attention to detail and care of providing the correct diagnosis. Also doctors in this practice need to be mindful of ensuring patients are treated with respect and listened to, especially from a clinical standpoint.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2018

Does not take the time to listen to patients complaints and rushes to diagnosis without evidence. Displays zero compassion for patients.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2018

Terrible "Doctor" and a thoroughly arrogant individual!!! Avoid at all costs and I am being mild in my remarks. Missed basics on my elderly mother and was exceptionally rude to her. Should be struck off the medical record for his gross incompetence and lack of professionalism!!!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2018

Very thorough, excellent records (and on a computer!), follows up immediately (calls back, same day, even a flu-shot reminder call on a Saturday morning!), staff are great, all with great sense of humour. Great doctor, wish we had more like him.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2016

Dr. Kagan is compassionate and caring, he has supported our family for many years. He listens and is willing to admit when he does not know the answer. I agree Jan is amazing.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2016

Dr K takes care of my family. He listens. He is honest. He is cautious. He is a good healer of mind and body. Love the digital records. I expect a short wait time from a life in our health care system. I love nurse Jan and support staff.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2015

The Best Doctor Ever .. He never forget the yearly stuff PAP Breast exams Etc... Easy prescription renewal his staff/nurses are awesome He's Competent, Caring Kind Genuine Punctual Helpful We recently moved to B.C so thank you Dr Kagan.. Really going to miss him

flag | Submitted March 3, 2015