Ratings for Dr. John D. Heefner

I would like to counter the negative reviews about dr john heefner - in fact they are so contrary to my experience with him that i wonder if there is another dr with the same name. he saw me over the last 5 years at a sliding scale clinic and part of that time I was homeless. he treated me with respect and dignity as well as helping me navigate some very difficult circumstances. without his consistent help I am not sure I'd even be alive. this man cares about people and their particulars. I highly recommend him if your bio chemistry is not typical and needs to be addressed or regulated.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

Heefner loves to give out meds...why buy them on the street when you have Dr. John Heefner

flag | Submitted December 8, 2010

I saw Dr. Heefner a few times after being referred by a counselor in the same clinic. He had a year long file for me on his desk but I don't believe he'd more than glanced at it. I'd been referred for an assessment with the suspicion I may have Bipolar Disorder or ADHD. When I asked him for help with these & explained that the antidepressants I was on were making matters worse, he accused me of trying to score pills despite no drug history, YET he upped my dosage & a dangerous amount of tranquilizers! He accused me each visit & made remarks about how I should get a better job for insurance. Since being diagnosed I've learned that the antidepressants cause Mania and my state was OBVIOUS! He neither assessed me nor asked about my personal life or history. I don't feel he is educated & I suspect he looks down on everyone utilizing the sliding scale clinic I saw him at.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2010

Dr. John D. Heefner's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1967)

AHC