Ratings for Dr. Ilene B. Spitzer

dr spritzer is the most helpful person i've ever met with. she understands me and understands who i am and really helps me with communication and is very welcoming. i've met with many people to crack my case and after tons of unessary money wasted on trash people. she finally help me with what i really needed and didn't just search and search.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

This woman is psychotic herself and needs to be on meds.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

I completely agree with the below comment. Psychotherapy means nothing to her without drug therapy. SO If you are looking to be heavily sedated on a daily basis, she's the psychiatrist to go to; however, she's not the one for you if you are actually looking to heal yourself through talk therapy, her specialty seems to be drug therapy. (probably just learned behavior from all the times she was sedating people at Menniger Hosp.) She prescribed me Risperdal a very controversial medicine to be giving an adolescent, mind you i was only 15 at the time; a very hard time for me considering it was around the death of my father whom i never met. This medicine is a very potent anti-psychotic that really affected me in the way she wanted it to, it messed with my chemistry so much so that i was actually developing the symptoms that she stated to my family before putting me on that medicine; the paranoia, anxiety, and "upcoming personality disorder," that she sold so perfectly to my Mother. Oh and yes my Mom also loved her, Illene Spitzer was her answer for me, because that "MD" told her everything she wanted to hear. I'm guessing through her training as a psychologist and psychiatrist she learned how to really manipulate conversations and convince people her "diagnoses" were accurate.. SO if you want to have your health insurance exploited and exploit you, by a corporate pharmaceutical company, be heavily drugged, and have no intention to heal through psychotherapy, Illene Spitzer, she's the "doctor" for you. It really is sad that this is how modern medicine works, drugs that really don't do much for the average citizen, like all of the Benzodiazepines, SSRIs, anti-psychotics and other drugs that just push aside the problem and don't actually fix it; hey i mean it's not all of her fault, she's a slave to the system too. Even after all the BS I went through with her, right now I'm on no medicine seeing as soon after i started developing symptoms on Risperdal, I stopped taking it, she had me on seroquel before, another disastrous anti-psychotic she prescribed to a developing adolescent that really was just going through a hard time in his life and needed a friend (guidance) more than a drug dealer. I feel completely fine now that i'm a developed adult, even after all the chemical overloads that took place in my body ages 13-16. And Just so you know Illene because I know you probably do read these, I will be including your name in the Risperdal settlements/claims once i get around to calling the number; that medicine really did affect my wellbeing, in negative ways. Not only did it make me develop many symptoms that you were selling to my family well before prescribing me the medicine, i bet you knew fully the extent of the side affects.. including the potential Gynecomastia growths. Overall she's a terrible person to open up to, cold, non-understanding, but great for being sedated and prescribed potentially dangerous medicines.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

My family paid out of pocket for me to see Dr. Spitzer as I was having problems balancing high school with life. My family loved her, thought that she was great. However, she was the one constantly medicating me instead of guiding me in the right direction. Do yourself a favor and see a cognitive/developmental Psychologist. I took myself off of all the medication she prescribed me, ate healthy, exercised and moved out on my own. I have seen my psychologist now for 4 years and I have never been happier or more competent. He also cringed when I mentioned her name. Seemingly nice woman. However, doesn't use best practice.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2015

Dr. Spitzer is the best! She is a gifted doctor, committed, and works harder than most people I know. She is also respectful, responsive and courteous. Our family has been more than satisfied with her services and would not consider going anywhere else.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2014

This woman is horrible...period. Comletely does all the talking and is obsessed with "Payment in Full' It is only about the money with her. Refused to bill my insurance, and calls repeatedly telling lies about how she will be your advocate between the insurance company and you. This doctor should be taking her own meds, pathological liar with a Holier than thou complex. DO NOT consider this "doctor" you WILL regret it. Lying, manipulative, psycho .

flag | Submitted August 6, 2013

Dr. Spitzer is an exceptional doctor! She answered a special calling to be not only a physician, but a very competent psychiatrist. She possesses the wisdom, as well as common sense and judgement.While diagnosing psychiatric disorders is extremely difficult she is is very competent in diagnosis of patients' psychiatric disorders. Dr. Spitzer possesses special qualities: listens, really listens and conveys concern to the patient,shows empathy,she always is respectful of the patients concerns and feelings and she is extremely trustworthy. Dr. Spitzer is very knowledgeable of psychiatric medications and is willing to try new medications when necessary. When I have been hospitalized she was always present and involved in hospitalists final diagnosis. In fact, I would not be functioning in society and maintaining a very good position in the work force if it wasn't for Dr. Spitzer. I always leave her office feeling like a simple thank you is never enough.

Submitted November 1, 2012

Worst experience of my life was the day I began therapy with Spitzer.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2012

Dr. Spitzer is not only a competent and knowledgeable doctor, she is a compassionate person. If she is not on time, it is only because she is responding to the needs of her patients. She always available to them no matter what the time of day is. She will come in prior to her normal office hours and/or stay late if that is what is needed to treat her patients. I can only hope that my family will not still need her services when she decides to retire. There will not be anyone that could replace her services.

Submitted April 18, 2012

My son was being molested by a 40yr old man the entire time while in her care. He had all the symptoms;severe depression,cutting,threats of suicide,running away(to memphis tenn from maine),problems at school and home,bulimia...She felt all his problems were because of his problems at school(he has aspergers)After 2 school changes and finding a school he loved she still felt that wasn't good enough. She was involved in all iep's and charged the school and us crazy amounts of money for her help.($1,700. for a 5page letter)The scum who molested our son got 20yrs federal prison and 20yrs on the state charges. She never apologized for missing the real reasons for our sons problems,she instead sued us for the final balance(while we were busy in court on the child molestation)guess she felt we weren't dealing with enough. She lost in court,she tried to fight their decision by saying we lied.We proved we weren't and they stuck with their verdict.Please do not blindly put your faith in this Dr!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2011

Dr. Ilene B. Spitzer's Credentials

• Northwestern Univ Med Sch, Chicago Il 60611 (Grad. 1986)

Top Hospitals in Portsmouth, NH