Ratings for Dr. Drew Bednar

I had surgery years ago with this doctor with no complaints and my life was back to normal after the surgery. I recently had to have the other side done (l5s1) and right from the beginning having to deal with his secretary has been nothing but a royal pain. She is so rude I don’t know how she keeps her job. At one point she asked me if I smoked and at that time I would smoke if I was having a few drinks so I answered yes. Right away she says “but you have children, I suppose you’re the type to smoke in front of your children”. I was shocked because no, I don’t smoke in front of my children but who is she to judge me? Next case, their phone times are limited I understand so I call during the “available “ hours. Then I call again about an hour later and she says “well I wish you had earlier called earlier” so I explain that I did in fact call earlier but it went to voicemail. She says “don’t try to lie to me I’ve been sitting right here by the phone”. Umm.. THIRD instance with her is the day of surgery, Dr Bednar himself wrote a number on a green paper for me to call when I get home to book post op. WELL isn’t it his office, her number. So I do as I was asked, I call that number as soon as I got home. “Dear, this is not the number you call Dr Bednar would never had told you to do that”... and well that’s when I lost it on her and she hung up. Most unprofessional and rude lady I have ever dealt with. Now I’m dealing with the surgeon dismissing the fact that I am still in constant pain. He had the nerve to compare me to a football player. I may seek legal action, strictly on the way I’m being treated .. like an idiot. I’ve documented everything and I know I can’t be the only one.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2018

This surgeon may be the most gifted surgeon, and he made such a difference in my life, essentially he previously gave my life back with surgery. The receptionist however, is so rude..... it is almost unbelievable. Someone in costumer service must have some level of professionalism, but she must be the most unprofessional receptionist... I have had three back surgeries and now I need my neck fixed. I am in excruciating pain, and I get it, lots of people are, there are much more urgent cases to deal with I am sure.... I did not ask for an appointment date, or as estimate regarding time. I called and started the call with "Good Morning, how are you" and she said "I'm ok". Fine, whatever, everyone responds differently. I asked if she could just confirm that my referral was successfully rec'd, I told her my doctor said that it was, but as I am in very bad pain I wanted to confirm as I do not want to be told in three months that the referral didn't go through. I understand doctors and receptionists can make mistakes because they are extremely busy, so I was doing my part by simply confirming the referral. Initially I was told she did not have time to look through the referrals, so I said that that was fine and could she maybe take a look this week or next and let me know, she said "no". I asked how I could confirm that my referral was rec'd, as to fulfil my responsibility as a patient needing care. She advised me to "call back later when she is less busy". How am I supposed to know when that is? Then she changed her story to that she was not allowed to tell me if the referral was rec'd, as it was "above me". I did not even know how to respond because I have never been treated so poorly by a receptionist. As someone who has a receptionist and works with the public I could not even believe it. I had no words and I said "great, thank you for your help" in a sarcastic and frustrated tone. I called back to ask her another question very quickly and she did not answer, then I called again and she actually picked up the phone and hung it up without even saying hello. At no point did I use inappropriate language or yell, I am a professional and I know better. Then I called several times after that and still she would not answer, so despite the answering machine's request to not leave a message, I left a message telling her that I have never dealt with such a rude and uncompassionate person in the medical field before in my life. At no point in the conversation did she even ask my name, so it had nothing to do with if she did not like me (which shouldn't matter anyway). Previously I have found her to be short, but I acknowledge that some people are just different.. she always answered my questions in the past, and was always slightly rude, but she was at the very least professional. Today, she was nowhere near professional, every word spoken was said in a very acrimonious tone, it was appalling. I am in so much pain and all I wanted to do was confirm my referral was rec'd, that is the only information I requested, and I did not even care if she addressed my question today, as I stated above, I asked if she could check in the next week or two. My responsibility as a patient is to make sure that I am advocating for my own health. Mistakes happen, receptionists are often understaffed and overworked, and I get that... that is why I wanted to know simply if it was rec'd or not. She had no regard for my concerns, and showed zero compassion. You are dealing with individuals in terrible pain, show some compassion! Dr. Bednar however, is compassionate and kind, and remarkably talented.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018

Exceptional clinical knowledge, compassionate patience provided to an anxious-first-surgery-patient, kindness and a great sense of humour --- Dr. Bednar and Debby are a true dream team and we are so very grateful for their help! In this healthcare system, it takes time to see the best and Dr. Bednar was absolutely worth waiting for - peace of mind, absolutely. Debby coordinates everything wonderfully - she knows the ins and outs of spine-related surgery and related administration/appointments and so on and put our mind at ease - she guides the patient caretaker beautifully. As a patient and caretaker team, if you are kind, patient, and care for those who care for YOU (your surgeon/their support staff), you'd be amazed at how positive your experience can be. Debby - thank you for everything - you're an angel - and Dr. Bednar, so many thanks for your fantastic care and attention and the fun smiles throughout to keep an otherwise unnerving situation (for us) light. We learned so very much from his wonderful explanations and visual descriptions of what was to be done and how it would help. Again, so very grateful. :)

flag | Submitted January 29, 2018

I was seeing Dr, Goodwin a neurologist at St. Joe's for a neuropathy. when she noticed my hunched over level of pain caused by my back she told me of Dr. Bednar. He wasn't taking patients but when she told him about me he agreed to see me. My lucky day! Dr,Bednar walked me through the reasons i was like that and what he could do for me. He told me to keep a journal of pain days as i was a bit scared to commit and made another appt, 2nd time I saw him he went through the whole procedure and i signed the consent expecting to wait forever. It wasn't even six months and i got a date for surgery. Three weeks beforehand i was getting nervous and had some questions. Deb was wonderful and squeezed me in within 3 days. He spent lots of time with me allaying my fears. It's a wonderful feeling you get from both of them that you;'re never just patient # whatever. I'd been doing everything i could from pain clinic swim classes acupuncture walkers chairs and countless painkillers. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel. 2 days after surgery i called with some questions and i didn't even et put on hold. Again answered my questions . I get my stitches out in 4 days and i can't wait to personally thank him. And also the wonderful friendly Debbie. If you're lucky enough to get to see Dr, Bednar you won't rergret it.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

According to their phone message, they are not accepting any new referrals!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

I had a surgery 1997 and Dr. Drew Bednar is an excellent surgeon.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2017

Dr Bednar performed L5/S1 fusion and decompression. Generally I'm much better than before the surgery. He is great. Back to playing hockey etc and not constant pain like before. Yes you'll have to wait, and the hospitals are max capacity, not their fault. The post op is pretty awful, but follow instructions and you'll be fine. Lots of walking and swimming helps. Thanks Dr Bednar and Deb!

flag | Submitted December 13, 2017

I had been been suffering from excruciating lower back pain. I was left unable to work and pretty much a hermit. I was led to believe that there was little that could be done for me except take pain killers. Although in my 50's, I was hunched over and required a walker to get around IF I could even get out of bed. No position, sleeping, standing or sitting offered much relief. I became increasingly depressed. I was taken to Hamilton General emergency department. This would turn out to be a good thing as I became a patient of Dr Bednar. During my first visit with him he looked at my imaging and exclaimed he was the light at the end of the tunnel. He gave me hope. He explained what was going on with my back and how he could help. I have encountered many Doctors in my life and he is definitely a cut above. He never ever rushed me but was always kind and patient with a lovely splash of humor. I will always be grateful for his expertise in reconstructing part of my lower lumber spine during 7 1/2 hours of surgery. I will add that he is blessed with a wonderful admin assistant, Deb, who patiently took my calls and walked me through the processes. She has a heart of gold, gentle and soft spoken never rushing to get me off the phone and always made me feel cared for. A deep heartfelt thank you to both of them for my second chance and a bright future for my senior years.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Dr. Bednar , a professional, a gentleman, a skilled surgeon, a caring individual. I cant say enough about him. In the past he cared enough that after seeing my brother in hospital for an extended period he took an interest. Dr. Bednar was not assigned to my brothers file. He viewed the file and determined that he could help, within a couple of days he ordered an MRI of my brothers Cervical spine identified the severe compression of the spinal cord that had resulted in my brother being confined to bed for months, virtually a quadriplegic. The surgery was scheduled for a couple of nights later Dr. Bednar. After the surgery Dr. Bednar called me at home as I was power of attourney for my brother, we talked about the surgery and the prognosis. I was invited to meet with Dr. Bednar after clinic on a Friday after noon. Dr. Bednar walked me through the MRI showing me and explaining his surgery and what the future might bring. Prior to Dr. Bednar's involvement the medical team focus on my brothers Diabetes, and treated him for that. My brother was developmentally handicapped. Within a couple of weeks my brother was out of bed, standing and soon walking with a walker. It was like a miracle. I personally have had issues with chronic pain and mobility as the result of an at work injury. Having had many surgeries to correct various joints but still not finding a reasonable level of mobility and comfort. I continued to work and do the best I could but my quality of life was deteriorating. I asked Dr. Bednar if he could look at me. Without hesitation he arranged for an appointment we met, he requested a lower back MRI. With that in hand I had a follow up appointment, surgery was the topic and getting the documents completed. I told him I had trouble signing my name. Dr Bednar looked up " what" ? A Cervical Spine MRI was ordered. I am now two months post surgery, the outcome is a miracle. I can walk, climb stairs, stand on one foot reach over my head, my writing is improving. At our follow up appointment Dr. Bednar showed me the MRI and described his findings and the procedure. Dr. Bednar identified scar tissue on my spinal cord in the MRI while that cannot be addressed surgically the pressure on my spinal cord has been relieved. I know this happened at the time of the initial injury because thats when the symptoms started, I had many appointments with many Doctors and other professionals, I was criticized by employers and accused of "faking" by WSIB and others. This is 28 yrs later. Dr.Bedar has given me a new lease on life. At 70 I dont have to move, the threat of a wheel chair is no longer there. I can do some of the things I have wanted to do for years. Dr. Bednar sets an example of what a professional is, he lives up to his oath and exceeds the expectations of his profession. If anyone has the opportunity to be treated by Dr. Bednar consider it a privileged, he is the top of his profession.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

My husband was lucky enough to get in to see Dr. Bednar after suffering for 4 months. He was most knowledgeable, professional, and helpful. He not only got him in for surgery within 6 weeks, but did what he said he would do... "I can fix you". My husband thought that it would be a lifetime of pain management and lack of mobility for a long time. He was very happy that now after the 4 months, he is moving, walking, riding a bike, and golfing, back to normal. He did exactly what he was told for his recovery and it payed off. Dr Bednar was amazing, patient and fantastic during all follow up appointments. If you are lucky enough to get Dr Bednar for a surgeon, count your blessings. This man is a Phenom!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017