Ratings for Dr. Drew Bednar

According to their phone message, they are not accepting any new referrals!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

I had a surgery 1997 and Dr. Drew Bednar is an excellent surgeon.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2017

Dr Bednar performed L5/S1 fusion and decompression. Generally I'm much better than before the surgery. He is great. Back to playing hockey etc and not constant pain like before. Yes you'll have to wait, and the hospitals are max capacity, not their fault. The post op is pretty awful, but follow instructions and you'll be fine. Lots of walking and swimming helps. Thanks Dr Bednar and Deb!

flag | Submitted December 13, 2017

I had been been suffering from excruciating lower back pain. I was left unable to work and pretty much a hermit. I was led to believe that there was little that could be done for me except take pain killers. Although in my 50's, I was hunched over and required a walker to get around IF I could even get out of bed. No position, sleeping, standing or sitting offered much relief. I became increasingly depressed. I was taken to Hamilton General emergency department. This would turn out to be a good thing as I became a patient of Dr Bednar. During my first visit with him he looked at my imaging and exclaimed he was the light at the end of the tunnel. He gave me hope. He explained what was going on with my back and how he could help. I have encountered many Doctors in my life and he is definitely a cut above. He never ever rushed me but was always kind and patient with a lovely splash of humor. I will always be grateful for his expertise in reconstructing part of my lower lumber spine during 7 1/2 hours of surgery. I will add that he is blessed with a wonderful admin assistant, Deb, who patiently took my calls and walked me through the processes. She has a heart of gold, gentle and soft spoken never rushing to get me off the phone and always made me feel cared for. A deep heartfelt thank you to both of them for my second chance and a bright future for my senior years.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Dr. Bednar , a professional, a gentleman, a skilled surgeon, a caring individual. I cant say enough about him. In the past he cared enough that after seeing my brother in hospital for an extended period he took an interest. Dr. Bednar was not assigned to my brothers file. He viewed the file and determined that he could help, within a couple of days he ordered an MRI of my brothers Cervical spine identified the severe compression of the spinal cord that had resulted in my brother being confined to bed for months, virtually a quadriplegic. The surgery was scheduled for a couple of nights later Dr. Bednar. After the surgery Dr. Bednar called me at home as I was power of attourney for my brother, we talked about the surgery and the prognosis. I was invited to meet with Dr. Bednar after clinic on a Friday after noon. Dr. Bednar walked me through the MRI showing me and explaining his surgery and what the future might bring. Prior to Dr. Bednar's involvement the medical team focus on my brothers Diabetes, and treated him for that. My brother was developmentally handicapped. Within a couple of weeks my brother was out of bed, standing and soon walking with a walker. It was like a miracle. I personally have had issues with chronic pain and mobility as the result of an at work injury. Having had many surgeries to correct various joints but still not finding a reasonable level of mobility and comfort. I continued to work and do the best I could but my quality of life was deteriorating. I asked Dr. Bednar if he could look at me. Without hesitation he arranged for an appointment we met, he requested a lower back MRI. With that in hand I had a follow up appointment, surgery was the topic and getting the documents completed. I told him I had trouble signing my name. Dr Bednar looked up " what" ? A Cervical Spine MRI was ordered. I am now two months post surgery, the outcome is a miracle. I can walk, climb stairs, stand on one foot reach over my head, my writing is improving. At our follow up appointment Dr. Bednar showed me the MRI and described his findings and the procedure. Dr. Bednar identified scar tissue on my spinal cord in the MRI while that cannot be addressed surgically the pressure on my spinal cord has been relieved. I know this happened at the time of the initial injury because thats when the symptoms started, I had many appointments with many Doctors and other professionals, I was criticized by employers and accused of "faking" by WSIB and others. This is 28 yrs later. Dr.Bedar has given me a new lease on life. At 70 I dont have to move, the threat of a wheel chair is no longer there. I can do some of the things I have wanted to do for years. Dr. Bednar sets an example of what a professional is, he lives up to his oath and exceeds the expectations of his profession. If anyone has the opportunity to be treated by Dr. Bednar consider it a privileged, he is the top of his profession.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

My husband was lucky enough to get in to see Dr. Bednar after suffering for 4 months. He was most knowledgeable, professional, and helpful. He not only got him in for surgery within 6 weeks, but did what he said he would do... "I can fix you". My husband thought that it would be a lifetime of pain management and lack of mobility for a long time. He was very happy that now after the 4 months, he is moving, walking, riding a bike, and golfing, back to normal. He did exactly what he was told for his recovery and it payed off. Dr Bednar was amazing, patient and fantastic during all follow up appointments. If you are lucky enough to get Dr Bednar for a surgeon, count your blessings. This man is a Phenom!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

My Mri and Xrays in hand i had them done in the us to speed up my search for a surgeon i was lucky to get in to see Dr Bednar (his secretary fit me in and knew i had to drive 4 hours she organised my apts with that in mind ) he was great to deal with and answered all my questions i . Without him and his staff i would be in a( wheel chair diaper and in constant pain )as my family doctor explained and its been almost 4 month since my surgery I feel great (walking riding bike waiting to be able to go back to work . All i can say is thank you Dr.Bednar and his staff as well as his assistants in the surgery it must have been hard working steady for 8 hours .

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

I had L4/L5 decompression surgery done by Dr Bednar. He is a very professional, thorough, compasionate Dr who never rushes his appointments with you and helps you feel confident before and after surgery. I am very happy with my results and could not have been referred to a better Dr. I had the pleasure of meeting Deb in the office who was very helpful in directing me to X-rays and answering all questions I had about my paperwork. She even wished me a happy belated birthday which was much earlier in the month. Thanks for the hard work and positive experience you both have given me. Kris

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Dr Bednar preformed a decompression and fusion of the L4 L5 and much more than I can accurately detail. He listens to every word and gave me all the time and detail of the surgery. He never rushed and answered every concern my husband and I had. Contrary to what others say about his secretary, I found her to be patient , kind and certainly answered my questions with compassion. If you treat someone with respect, they will return the courtesy. If you are lucky enough to get Dr Bednar for any surgery, count yourself blessed with having the best operate on you. You will be guaranteed to have a great outcome.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Of the 200+ doctors (physicians, surgeons, and residents) that I have met with as a patient on one or more ocassion, Dr. Bednar is the best doctor I have ever encountered. This man is incredibly friendly, competent, punctual, shows an astounding level of genuine empathy and actually listens to you and every one of your concerns. He doesn't rush you either even though his specialized area of medicine is so understaffed. This is honestly the kind of doctor that ALL doctors should aspire to be. I came to him to have tumors on my cervical spine which were bothering me which were caused by a genetic bone disorder. He listened to my all my concerns, answered all of my questions, he even inquired about my overall health, areas which he didn't have to care about at all. He was genuinely empathetic and even offered to write referrals for specialists to address other unrelated health matters, that is how much this man cares. He gave me a rough estimate of wait time for my surgery to be booked, which despite a large back log was able to work through it and offer my surgery ahead of schedule. The surgery went flawlessly, my scar is really clean and minimal compared to other surgeries I have had. Every step of the way was pleasant, the before, the surgery, post surgery and follow up. I did have my surgery bumped once back a two months which was still ahead of schedule and did have to wait a month for a follow up but that isn't his fault at all due to the number of patients and the lack of orthopedic surgeons in this province available so I don't fault him for that at all. It is a shame that his secretary has to be included in his rating, otherwise he would have been perfect in every category. The secretary is rude and ignorant. Tried to argue with me that I already had a CT scan done when I first called. Clearly I would know if I had a CT scan already. Other than his secretary you couldn't be luckier to be referred to Dr. Bednar as your surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2016