Ratings for Dr. Doug Helmerson

He treated my husband after his single lung transplant in Edmonton. He was always there for him day and night. He deserves a medal for his patience and concern, always positive and never daunted with the overwhelming challenges he faced with my husband and myself.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2016

I had given up on getting a diagnosis for my breathing problems. I went to numerous tests and 2 Drs. told me nothing was wrong with me - loss weight and do more exercise. I knew I needed to loss weight and I needed more exercise but I didn't have enough energy to do that. The other Drs. told me to quit going for tests that I was healthy but I knew something was wrong. When I went to see Dr. Helmerson he explained everything to me and said the tests had given him assurance that I didn't have anything life-threatening wrong with me. He explained what was wrong and gave me a referral to a Physiotherapist who could help me with breathing exercises and diet. Even though my health concern was very minor in comparison to his other patients he took the time to listen to me and help me. He told me that after I had worked with the Physiotherapist that "if I CHOICE to loss weight and do more exercise I would have the energy to do so. " This is a Great way to talk with your patients. I AM GRATEFUL FOR HOW HE CHANGED MY LIFE .

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

EXCELLENT DR. amazing knowledge BEST of the BEST. Lots of info and helpful to both patient and spouse

flag | Submitted May 29, 2012

As a pulmonary patient of Dr helmerson and a candidate for lung transplant, I find Dr Helmerson to be extremely nice, fabulous bed side manor and I actually am anxiously awaiting the lung transplant. He made me realize I do have a lot of life to live.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2011

Dr Helmersen is a very pleasant and a very skilled professional. He has a great personality and takes his time to make you feel like you are most important. As a PH patient, Dr. Helmersen has made decisions that have saved my life.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2011

He has been instramental in saving my life. My family and I are very greatful.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2010

Great doctor, have been a patient since my open heart surgery in 2008, sometimes takes a bit long getting to his patient in the waiting room, as i am sure he gets busy, not the most "on time" doctor i have had, but great compassion and service overall. =)

flag | Submitted December 21, 2009

DOug Helmersen has been my pulmonologist for 7 yrs now(I started seeing him when he was still an intern) and is extremely competent and has great compassion for his patients. He cares about their wellbeing and takes great pains to ensure they are healthy, and to a point, happy. He is part of the AB lung transplant team, and I literally owe him my life. He was instrumental in placing me on the transplant list, and am the recipient of a healthy set of lungs. An excellent MD with a very possitive attitude. His favorite expression (uses it even when you're sick) "I now have to go see some people that are sick".

flag | Submitted March 8, 2007