Ratings for Dr. John van Westenbrugge

Dr. v W did my PRK surgery a few years ago. I had 2 surgeries. The first surgery went very well. Dr. v W's office distributes a form in advance asking if you would like Dr. v W to pray for you before your procedure. I thought why not, signed the form, and he said a quick blessing before my procedure. During my surgery, I was alarmed by the "burning hair" smell - they should warn the patient about that beforehand, because it freaked me out! After the surgery, I was very impressed with the customer service that Gimbel Eye Centre provided me with all their staff and several follow-up appointments were done with me and they were thorough and meticulous. I was told at the time of signing up that any surgical tweaks could be done for free if done within a year of the first procedure. As my first year was drawing to a close, I decided I would opt in for a tweak to correct my vision a little bit more. The second procedure - the customer service just wasn't there. I signed that prayer form again, only this time, Dr. v W didn't bother saying a blessing even though I had signed the form. I felt like he was annoyed that I was coming back to get the tweak done for free and that I got the feeling that I was wasting his time because he wasn't making money from me the second go round. Then when it came to post-surgery follow-ups, when I came in for my one and only appointment, it turned out that Gimbel had laid off a bunch of their amazing doctors who were providing the excellent post-surgery care and made the decision to have the surgeons be the only doctors to work there and be the only doctors to provide the post-surgery care. After my first surgery, I used to get into to see a doctor very quickly. At this final appointment, I waited a long time to see Dr. v W and then he basically told me to not come back unless I had an issue. So after the second surgery, I only had one post-surgery follow-up, whereas after the first surgery, I had about 10 follow-ups - they were so thorough and careful with my eyes the first go round. The customer service post-surgery after my second surgery was night and day from the careful follow-ups that happened after my first surgery, and this soured my experience.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

I did IntraLase LASIK with Dr.Westenbrugge and I cant describe how satisfied I am with the outcome and the service in general at the Gimbel center. During the operation , Dr.Westenbrugge kept talking to me and made me forget that my eyes have been operated on. I enjoyed the whole experience and in brief , I can say that this is the best investment I have ever made. Thanks Dr.Westenbrugge for the great service and thanks for correcting my vision after using glasses/lenses for more than 10 years!

flag | Submitted June 1, 2014

My experience of cataract surgeries was a breeze. Very professionally handled. Dr. VWB was very thorough in explaining throughout the surgeries what I might see or feel. All staff members were very helpful each time I phoned.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2013

In 1993 repeat 1993 Dr. Van Westenbrugge operated on my eyes with his mentor and colleague Dr Gimbel. They performed PRK for high range myopia. 20 years later I can still drive without glasses and have had no problems with my vision at all. Like people with completely normal sight of my age (63) I do need reading glasses that I can buy at London Drugs. Dr. Van Westenbrugge is a fine gentleman and surgeon.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2013

Dr. van Westenbrugge performed PRK on one of my eyes (mono vision) so I could see long distance with that eye and still be able to read without glasses with the other eye in June 2011. He was very gentle and soft-spoken. He very quietly talked to me during the entire procedure, although I didn't understand anything he said (wasn't loud enough for me), it kept me calm. Surgery went very well and did not take long at all, just a few minutes. It was completely pain free. I had gone for a 1st appointment with LASIK MD and felt like I was in Future Shop, where they wanted my money. I was scared away from them. I then went to Gimbel and had a very different experience. So happy I had this top notch surgeon perform my eye surgery.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2012

Top notch specialist at the top of his game! He did the catarct surgery on both of my eyes and even in spite of my skittishness about my eyes, the whole procedure was a cake-walk.He is gentle and soothing. Just what one needs during somone digging into your eyeballs! Dr.J.V.W. is a gift to the profession and mostly to the Patients who are lucky enought to have him for the procedures. Thanks Doc.!!!

flag | Submitted January 28, 2012

I had PRK 1 year ago at Gimbel. 12 years previously I had a Lasik attempt that had a complication, also at Gimbel--they were great at ensuring I healed properly but I did not have the laser correction. When I finally went in for the PRK I was very nervous, but Dr. van Westenbrugge was great and I have had wonderful results! I have two friends that had PRK at another clinic in town, and they had terrible experiences, so I just wanted to say that the Gimbel people really know their stuff. The medications I was on were quite different than my friends, and I truly believe that this made the difference in post-surgery comfort and long term results.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2011

John van Westenbrugge is an amazing doctor, extremely professional. He performed my Lasik surgery 11 years ago and subsequent enhancement a year ago. The Gimbel Eye Centre is an excellent organization.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2011

I had lasik eye surgery 5 months ago and was and am very impressed with the Gimbel Eye Centre. All of the staff, from Reception to the Optometrists, Technicians, were all very professional. They certainly exemplify the idea of "informed consent". Dr Westenbrugge was very reassuring and calm during the actual surgery. (I was very nervous, telling me exactly what he was doing, and what to expect next. The follow-up after surgery was also very thorough. If you decide to have lasik, or any eye surgery I would recommend that you ask for him personally.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2008

It is scary getting your eyes operated on. With early cataracts and RP it needed something done for the cataracts as they were advancing quickly. I had the right eye done. It wasn't 6 hours later I could see what cataracts cost in vision and 2 days later had the left eye done and was relaxed the second time. I was back to work in 3 days! I went from worse than 20/40 (just gave up driving) in both eyes to 20/15 in the left and 20/25 in the right. I now drive just for the fun of it! Not only did this doctor impress me, this whole Gimbal clinic and everyone in there was a top class act! No one else touches my eyes! One note, they are busy, very busy, but for very good reason, they do most excellent work. I still give them on time as to get it right is worth the wait! And they were on time with me. And interesting and relaxing to talk with others while you wait to hear their stories. It will comfort you to know they are the best eye clinic around. DaveA

flag | Submitted September 22, 2007