Ratings for Dr. Iain Cleator

The worst doctor and clinic, he had done 5 bandings or more and I still have hemhrroids, In 2 ocasssions the bandings fell off 1/2 hr after the procedure and he said its was completely normal (which doesn't make sense) they will never answer your questions and have no time to listen to you. I started to believe they make you go as many times as they want so they can charge to the government whatever they want. Bad results, bad clinic, horrible service. I agree they should be investigated.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

I went to Dr Iain Cleator about 15 years ago. If it was not for him I would probably not be alive right now. He saved my life. May not have the best bedside manner but he sure knows what he is doing. All I can say is thank you Dr Cleator

flag | Submitted June 10, 2017

Worst doctor you could possibly get a referral to. Please do yourself a favour and see someone else, even if it takes way longer to do so. Trust me, he could cause more damage. First off, the appointments are always late, so factor in at least 1-hour before being able to see him. Secondly, his demeanour is too cold and unsympathetic. He is in and out within 5 minutes, rarely gives good advice and will end up telling you to do something that will undoubtedly aggravate the area. Originally, about 4 years ago I had 3 internal hemorrhoids that required attention. He banded the first one but caused major damage during the 2nd banding. The band was placed in a position which caused more damage and as a result, scar tissue that to this day was causing pain. I switched doctors and was told that hemorrhoids are normal and should be left alone. As a result of treating me for hemorrhoids, Cleator exacerbated my fissures. Told me to put a finger in my behind 3 times a day, again causing more damage to the fissure. Every chance I saw him he would dismiss the pain and tell me that I was on the road to recovery. He had no idea what my progress was and only said that to justify his misguided advice. His follow up visits seemed like an old record player and a complete waste of my time. The advice I got from seeing the best CRS was pretty much the opposite of what this incompetent doctor gave me. I truly feel that he caused more damage than good and probably shouldn't be treating patients anymore at his age. Do yourself a favour and seek out a good surgeon. The area you're messing with can really affect your quality of life and having this doctor be responsible for that is just one of the dumbest things you could do for yourself.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

I had great experience of hemorrhoid surgery with Dr Cleator. Surgery was required because my hemorrhoid was too large to be handled by the O'Regan clip. Dr. Cleator was so experienced that my hemorrhoid was removed at such a speed that I hardly noticed it. I used the nitroglycerin cream during healing - it relaxes the rectal muscle and prevents it from constricting while healing and narrowing the rectal exit. We are lucky to have a rectal surgeon specialist so skilled in Vancouver. I have heard of many cases of terrible (botched) surgery in the US.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2016

Appointments run extremely late, and you have to pay for parking, which can get expensive when the appointments are running late.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

Was seeing Dr. Cleator for about a year when he did a procedure on me that thrombosed a roid. I couldnt walk and ended up in emergency. I was told that I couldn't even go back and see him until my next appointment and was told to take lots of hot baths. When I asked him about it he said it was probably because I didn't use my cream that day. I felt it when he nicked the roid that ended up thrombosing. The worst was being told by staff to rest and keep my feet up, which I was told later could have killed me. WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK TO THE CLEATOR CLINIC AGAIN AND THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE INVESTIGATING HIM.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

In my view the Cleator Clinic is a scam. I was in terrible pain from a fissure and hemorrhoid. Cleators associate Dr Tomas, a very unsympathetic person with zero personality, told me to put Nitroglycerin on my finger and insert it fully into my behind 3 times daily. Absolutely absurd. there was no way I could do this and I am sure Tomas has never inserted his own finger into his behind with or without a fissure. I have since learned that a lot of doctors do not recommend this practice if you have a fissure as it can make it worse. I suffered with these clowns for about 2-3 months and then went back to my GP. I got a referral to another surgeon who had me back to normal in less than 3 weeks. The Cleator clinic should be shut down. They are causing needless suffering.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

The worst experience I have ever had. The external hemorrhoid was so painful I screamed. I will never go to this doctor again. No external anaesthetic, nothing! What a grump and is not very polite.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

I've read a number of other's complain about Dr. Cleator's style of communication (saying he's grumpy). If you need a lot of hand-holding and emotional support for your hemorrhoids, fissures, or fistulas, I understand he might not be the best match for you but I very much appreciate and really enjoy his straight-forwardness and dry sense of humor, reminiscent of Anthony Hopkins. As for punctuality, I don't find waiting for my appointment with him to be any better or worse than waiting for any other specialist I've been to. And if there is something he can complete with the visit I am currently in, rather than making me book and come back for another appointment, extra bonus points from me!! His staff are wonderful as well.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2015

Dr Cleator uses the best method of hemorrhoidectomy available today. All doctors should be using this method, called the O'Regan device. Hemorrhoidectomy is not fun, but the O'Regan device is relatively painless, and when it is done you can simply carry on with your day in most cases. Personally I like the guy, but I could care less if he got grumpy, because the method he uses is light years ahead of what most other clinics use.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2015