Ratings for Dr. Gordon Russell

I'm an active late 40's male who was referred to Dr. Russell last year by my family physician for a shoulder issue that was causing me considerable lack of mobility and discomfort. He replies to questions with two word answers, spends minimal time with you and characterized my condition as "more of a nuisance thing". I saw him twice and still didn't fully understand my condition. I then was fortunate enough to get in with another doctor (who is highly rated on this list). I now have a doctor who took the time to fully explain what is wrong and I am now booked for surgery.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2016

He did surgery on me in 2008 for a herniated disc. He explained nothing to me about post surgery care or anything. I got freaked about a black discharged from the incision but apparently thats normal. I went back to see him a month and a half post surgery as I hurt bad still and when I explained the pain, instead of laying out quality of life he said "you had spinal surgery what did you expect?" and left the room without trying to find out lvl of pain etc. So I left thinking lvl was norm. Over 3 years I got worse and my spine got compressed and I became paralyzed until a followup surgery from another doc saved me.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

Great staff 2009. A knee and hip Dr. He should have told me that and refer me to somebody else, instead of doing a back surgery on me. Heard he doesn't do back anymore. Thank you for realizing that it's not your expertise. Not to discount the surgery eased 20% of the pain.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to have seen this man. He was kind, compassionate and very knowledgable. He was able to diagnose the reason for my pain and initiate my treatment. Excellent Doctor!!

flag | Submitted November 24, 2015

Dr Russell is a very busy man. Don't blame him for Albertas medical situation. I have seen him over a 4 yr period, started with special made braces and finally ending up with BTKR which is Jan 16/15. I am young for this surgery but he knows bone on gone in both knees left me with no life. He doesn't want to hear your life story!!! He's a dam bone surgeon.!!! You need your head rubbed and feelings massaged, go find a different dr!! And all his staff especially the case nurse Jane are amazing!!!

flag | Submitted January 11, 2015

I seen Dr. Russell at the Hip and Knee Clinic in September 2013. I was referred to Dr. Russell by my family doctor. Prior to my 1st. visit I went to rate md's and read the reviews. I am glad that I decided to ignor the negative comments about his poor bedside manners etc. Upon meeting him I was sent for xrays down the hall. I was 49 years old at the time and had been previously turned away for knee surgery 4 years ago from another orthopedic surgeon because of my age. After seeing my xrays, Dr. Russell told me I needed total knee replacement surgery as I was walking bone on bone. He then said my left knee was worse and we should do it first. He told me we may not have to do the right knee because sometimes after doing the first knee it will compensate for the opposite knee. I had the surgery on June 16, 2014 at the Misericordia hospital. Dr. Russell was thorough and professional. My surgery was a great success and I would recommend him as a surgeon.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

Most frustrating dr. ever. If you need a knee replacement and are under 60 do not go to him. He does not care about your quality of life at all. He admits that I need a new knee, but I am not old enough and it does not matter that I can not even go shopping anymore or anything that requires walking, standing, bending etc. He is very good at making you jump through hoops and doing things that do not help at all. Wasted a year of my life with him.

Submitted April 13, 2014

I am sooo frustrated with this office and dr. Rudest staff I have ever encountered; could just care less about you. I was told I would be called for an appt and nothing. When I try to get ahold of them, no one ever answers the phone, just an answering machine day after day. If I hadn't been waiting months to even get this far, I would be switching drs.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2013

One of the worst Ortho's in Alberta. Does not pay attention to patients when they are explaining the MOI. Would not listen to me at all, until I repeatedly called his name to show him what happened. He finally looked and agreed that the incident I described would cause the type of injury I was suffering. However, he refused to put this information in his report and suggested activity modification. A few months later, I had an MRI from a different Dr. and I am now awaiting surgery.

Submitted April 18, 2013

From now on I will check this site when referred to a doctor. I would not have accepted the appointment had I been aware of his reputation. I did not even see Dr Russel. I arrived 20 minutes early in case I had paperwork. Was immediately sent for xrays which were not required since an MRI was already in my file. Seems this is common practice and the xray staff were none to happy as it backs up xray. My appointment was for 1 and on returning at 2 from xray was told another hour or more weight. Very disrespectful of my time. I voiced my opinion to his staff who shrugged it off. Other patients verbally supported me . When I walk in and see an office full of angry annoyed people it speaks volumes. Dr Russel gets thumbs down for customer service and professionalism. It is time for people to stand up and demand better health care on all levels. Unnecessary tests are a burden on our health care dollar.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2013