Ratings for Dr. S. Nikki Powar

I am so blessed to have her as my family doctor, she is punctual, pro active, extremely knowledgeable, and caring...thank you Dr. Powar!!!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

“Dr.” Sukhbinderjit Kaur Powar failed to order the proper blood work that my College requires for Paramedicine hospital and field placement. I had returned to finalize the documents by obtaining signatures in regards to immunity, only to find out that she had left out the vast majority of communicable diseases to be tested in my blood work and attempted to pass it off as if a different doctor had made the mistake when it was in fact her that ordered the initial tests. She stated that I couldn’t receive a signature from her until the rest of the blood work was complete so I simply said, “so I just go to lifelabs and ask them for the blood test and come back.. so we’re all done here and I can go?”.. “Yes”, she replied. I had actually asked twice to confirm that everything was in order because it was odd to me that she didn’t write the typical requisite forms that are needed in order to have blood work completed. I honestly figured that the system may have changed and that I would be able to simply request a full analysis from the lab but I soon came to my senses after leaving and acknowledged that she was just being dismissive. I’m not shocked by her failure to do her job since the ABSOLUTE WORST part of the entire encounter was when I mentioned that I have recently been experiencing unexplained shortness of breath and high blood pressure so I kindly asked if she would check my blood pressure and she complied but what she did next, I find ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. She inflated the manual sphygmomanometer gauge between 180 and 200 mmHg, which is perfectly fine but what I find so troubling, is that she deflated the BP cuff at full speed. I promise you that you will never come across a Nurse, Paramedic, or MD in your entire life that would be able to competently argue that this method is a reliable approach to obtaining a proper BP reading. She then FLAT OUT LIED TO ME and stated that my blood pressure was fine and that the reading came back as 120/80.. the clinical definition of an optimal BP is 120 systolic and 80 diastolic (120/80 aka 120 over 80). I managed to keep my eye on the gauge as it plummeted down at full speed and the only true comprehensible “blip” on the gauge happened at the 100mmHg mark, likely indicated the loss of turbulent flow against my artery and indicating what my diastolic blood pressure was, which was likely much closer to 100 millimeters of mercury and not 80 as Mrs. Powar attempted to declare. I’m not a compete neophyte and based on my knowledge of manual Korotkoff sounds and manual BP readings, is that you may notice minor “blips/spikes” during systolic BP and then generally a smooth decline once diastolic has began. Yes, Korotkoff BP relies on sound and not spikes on the needle gauge but if you’ve ever taken a manual BP yourself then everything I’ve stated should make complete sense. To top all this off since I hate calling people liars, is that in the past week I had my blood pressure taken about a dozen times.. by a Doctor at my college, an advanced care paramedic, a primary care paramedic and also paramedic students.. my lowest blood pressure out of all of them was 137/87. I’m almost always over 140/90 and only 2 out of about 12 readings in the past week was minutely under the 140/90 range. To be told I was 120/80 by Mrs. Powar is just so utterly disturbing since she could stoop so low and fail to perform a very basic duty as a medical professional. She had her head turned for the majority of the time the needle was dropping so the fact that she got a “reading” at all without keeping her eyes on the gauge deflating at that speed is just beyond me. Look out for your health and safety with this so called doctor Powar.. she must think she can take advantage of the general population’s lack of medical education and makes purfunctory efforts in regards to her medical treatment. It’s not only unprofessional but also dangerous. If I was a loved one of yours and happened to be experiencing a hypertensive emergency then strokes and myocardial infarction are a very real possibility. Avoid this “Doctor Powar” at all costs and get you and your family to a physician that is actually adept and not so condescending and dismissive.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2017

She is one of the best doctors I know. Easy going, thorough and precise. Never had any issues with her or her staff.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

Good doctor with good knowledge. She is very punctual.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

I have been going to her years. I haven't had any issues with her like those stated below. She is great with my newborn daughter, husband and myself. She is precise and very thorough. Recommended her to a lot of family and friends.

Submitted November 21, 2017

Doctor Powar is always in rush and bossy. She always blame everything on her patients. Never go to her. The front desk receptionist is very rude. I had numbness in my feet and my hand and she ignore it . When I had to go to a different doctor, she did a test and found out I diabetes. I left doctor Powar. Smart person should run away from her.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

I was surprised to see I am not the only one that had bad thing about Dr Powar. Rude and always in a rush. She is a real example of why the Canadian system , a real money grabber. The reception is rude as well.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

Don't expect scripts without having to do your part with dr Powar. The more you see her and try to take responsibility for your health, the better she becomes. I like her a lot, it I didn't the first few years.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2017

terrible doctor and pries into your personal life. I asked her many times to refer me to a dermatologist but she still won't do so.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2017

She can seem a bit rushed sometimes but is always willing to investigate further into any problem you tell her about

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017