Ratings for Dr. John L. De Couto

It seems like the good doctor of the past has really been slipping. I have a family doctor, as well as an orthopedist, due to an injury many years ago. Now I have severe arthritis in my hip which has caused my right leg to shorten and my spine to "scolios" (if that's even a word). So... I injured my good left knee a couple of months ago. It hasn't got any better no matter how much rest and ice and heat I've given it, and it has been swollen on the inside and I am unable to completely straighten it. My family doctor is busy and hard to get an appointment and I need a referral for the specialist. I went to CarePoint and got Dr. De Couto. ALL MY CONCERNS WERE DISMISSED BY HIS THEORIES AND ASSUMPTIONS. My "good" , injured longer leg was actually not injured but only compensating for the "bad" shorter leg. He said I should just "walk it out" and, as he looked at my age info on his screen he said "We're not getting any younger". I walked out thinking "Thanx for f#%*n nothing". I hope he made an easy buck pissing off another patient. I'm sure there are those who like him for prescribing pills and a bunch of bullsh+%, but it seems like there are a few of us that aren't impressed.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2017

I have only seen him as a walk-in at the clinic but liked him very much. I had his full attention. I didn't waste his time, he didn't waste mine. Got to the heart of the matter quickly with good questions, and listened carefully to my answers.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Dr De Couto used to be my family doctor for many years. I often remember going to see him and him being happy with prescribing pills to fix issues or on the other extreme not doing much at all for his patients (ie wait it out, it's not that bad...) A couple of the more disappointing experiences I had with him: I was dealing with anxiety and he prescribed me medication which didn't work. I went back and he just majorly over upped the dosage - I ended up weaning myself off of them completely as I was a walking zombie. I didn't like feeling that way and was given no alternative treatment. About 7 years ago while I was still a patient, I found out that I was pregnant. He left it up to me to try and schedule my first ultra sound and figure out where I would have the baby - didn't make any suggestions or offer any help (this is when he was at the Care point medical center). I had a struggle getting any sort of help as most pre natal appointments require a referral. I ended up finally finding a doctor that was willing to be my pre natal care giver. I ended up losing the baby and got not assistance or steps to ensure I was healthy after that. I ended up getting pregnant again right away pretty much and now have my healthy almost 5 year old daughter. since my miscarriage I have found another doctor that I adore, and would not recommend Dr. John De Couto to anyone. His bed side manner always seems rushed, he is quick to try and get you in and out of the appointment room ( most likely to fill his quota for the day) and he doesn't always let you explain what is going on, often cuts you off mid sentence. He is always running late (I waited 1 hour once for an appointment that I had scheduled with him). Honestly I think that there are better doctors out there. He was decent years ago but now I think he is just staying in practice to make money and not really listen to his patients. He has his own strong religious and morale views, and if your's dont agree with his, its almost like he doesn't want you as a patient and will brush off all your concerns. I know it's hard but there are better doctors out there to deal with. I don't recommend going to see him. He was much better when he was in his office, completely has gone down hill since moving to the Carepoint clinic

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Rude. In a rush, unwilling to deal with more than one health issue in one visit. Terrible bedside manners. Makes the patients feel worse after visit to him. WHY some people just choose professions that are obvious they don't enjoy practicing???? There is something urgent that Canada needs to do with Health system so that patients have more choices and don't have to deal with such doctors

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

I have see Dr John De Couto for 15 years as my only GP doctor. He is usually late (even when I deliberately book the first appointment in the morning or after lunch in order to reduce wait times) and is almost always in a rush and quickly gets impatient if I have more than one or two health issues to deal with. He is medically knowledgeable and makes diagnostic decisions quickly. I like this. He does not share information or provide good or complete explanations and is not at all good at engaging with me in an informed and adult conversation about my medical/health situation and the various treatment options and risks. I do my own research on my health conditions and want him to share with me his greater knowledge and to provide me with references that will help me learn more about my medical/health conditions/needs. I will be much happier to find a doctor who takes me more seriously, talks with me and listens to me regarding my medical/health situation, and generally shows more respect for me as an equal adult human being and as a partner in improving my health.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

In the process of looking for a new Dr. as Dr. De Couto makes you feel like your not important, brushes issues off. He makes it seem like he has more important things to do over listening to his patients. Since moving to the walk-in clinic his hours are terrible.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

Been with Dr John for many years. Very satisfied with his service and willingness to listen to me.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

like the dr. but most of the staff are rude. Carrie is very helpful but the receptions are RUDE.

Submitted August 20, 2015

He was our doctor since 2008, a caring and professional one, he goes to the issue directly and address the problem medically and on time; as a family doctor he provides practical ways of dealing with our medical issue i don't find it offensive but just frank and he just want to help his patients the best way he can.

Submitted February 28, 2015

Amazing bedside manner. I'm dealing with a recurring infections as well as some unfortunate family circumstances and Dr De Couto took the time to patiently listen to me and counselled me on how to work back towards better health medically, holistically and spiritually. It was a really crazy day in the clinic too, I was blown away by how thorough and empathetic he was despite the long line-ups and busy-ness of the place.

Submitted January 3, 2015