Ratings for Dr. Lisa G. Newman

Was billed a lot of money for tests I wasn't entirely sure I needed and was never made aware by her that the tests would not be fully covered by insurance, so now I owe over $500 in medical bills I did not know I would be billed for. She keeps trying to throw tests and medications at me that I don't even think I need. She also makes a lot of assumptions and that makes me uncomfortable.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

Worst encounter I have ever experienced with a health professional. For whatever reason, Dr. Newman completely disregarded my input I gave her describing my lifestyle. I was raised by a family of organic health food freaks and, as a result, have lived a fit lifestyle all of my life. I had been diagnosed with PCOS the previous semester and was sent to see Dr. Newman regarding period irregularities and symptoms of a hormonal imbalance, despite my use of birth control. Her advice for me was to lose 7 pounds by adopting a healthy diet of whole grains and fresh foods, which was beyond unhelpful considering I told her from the very beginning that my diet is extremely unprocessed and clean... Perhaps, if she cared a bit more about her patients, then she could be more helpful in providing legitimate solutions for health abnormalities. Perhaps, if she adopted a much less condescending approach toward communicating with patients, she would also be less inclined to make false generalizations. I'm still in disbelief by the "services" I received, in addition to the out-of-pocket charges I have been forced to pay for my unbelievably short visits with her (only around 5 minutes, as others have mentioned.)

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Would give zero stars if it was possible. Agree 100% with what all the other reviewers said about her being generally horrible. It was actually a relief to read them because I was afraid it was me or something lol. Nope. She actually took the time out of my visit to complain about how SHE was sick. Have you ever been to the doctor only to have THE DOCTOR complain about being ill with a cold? And she then proceeded to examine me with her virus-ridden hands, no gloves even. I was honestly about to walk out. And then she harped on about how if I were overweight (I'm rather thin) I would probably be diabetic because I have one grandparent who has diabetes......? Talk about irrelevant, not to mention ridiculous. I have no signs of insulin resistance/blood sugar issues whatsoever and was seeing her for a completely different problem. Terrible, condescending, doesn't listen to you, cares only about diabetes, so especially if you don't even have that problem, avoid her at all costs.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2016

The rudest doctor ever met! Does anyone care about the quality of doctors they employ to help the public? She has to go.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2014

I had her as my endocrinologist while at NYU. I'm a type-2 diabetes and also relatively in a great shape. Always felt that she was detached from her patient. Most of my visits really never lasted more than 5 mins -- except the first visit. My last doctor at Columbia Medical School was very thorough and spend nearly 30-40 mins checking my vital signs, etc. Not sure if it's my health plan or doctor, my blood test bills also went up quite a bit compared to my last doctors, as did the cost of my meds (I'm guessing it was probably due to inflation).

flag | Submitted July 10, 2013

For every visit this doctor charges a 30 dollar co pay. Brings a medical student with her in the room. It's embarassing. Asks to be on diet. I agree to all the comments people have made about her. Won't recommend her to anyone

flag | Submitted January 14, 2013

As mentioned above she is rude, shows no compassion and lacks all communicative skills to be a successful doctor. It had been 5 minutess since I had seen, I forgot to get my prescription called in. When I went back in she had completely forgotten that she just saw me. I have been to many endocrinologists before and this has been the worst experience.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2011

Rude doctor. rushes through your appt, and dismissive. Told her i had a hard time losing weight despite dieting and vigorous exercise, she said i should try dieting. HELLO! did you not hear what i said?! cant believe this woman is still licensed!

flag | Submitted February 15, 2011

Lisa Newman was my doctor at NYU. I can confirm everything these other reviewers say. She is completely rude. And she will bill the sh*t out of your student insurance with whatever she can think of. As a student, I guarantee you will run out of insurance with this woman. Unfortunately, as a student you also may not have a choice.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2010

By far the worst doctor I've ever had. She's nasty, condescending and rude. I cannot wait until I graduate and can find a doctor who is competent and cares about my health. Dr. Neuman is dismissive, ignores my concerns and pushes treatments that I am just not comfortable with. Her staff is wonderful (not that she chooses them), but they don't make up for her treatment, or lack of thereof. She makes me feel like asking questions is a waste of her time and that she is bothered by answering them. Not only this, but she takes personal calls in the treatment room. I'm not a big crier, but I cry after nearly every appointment in frustration and feeling like I will not get my health and condition treated as long as I'm a student.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2009

Dr. Lisa G. Newman's Credentials

• New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1985)