Ratings for Dr. John Long

Had surgery done. Excellent skill and bedside manor. Very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2016

If I ended up in the emergency and he was on call, I'd get my husband to drive me to Sudbury. Abrasive, unkind and listens to no one, even other real specialists.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

he had to remove my gallbladder after coming into the emergency room with stomach pains, was very helpful and kind even during my follow up was very pleasant and he was very helpful with any questions or anything I had :)

flag | Submitted August 2, 2015

Husband was n the hospital after knee replacement surgery done in Sault Ste Marie on Oct 30th on Nov 12th showing a fever and stiffness, swelling and an increasing amount of drainage. Dr. Long after emergency Dr. checked him. Dr. Long said husband needed to stay in hospital on Antibiotic IV. Had fainted twice at home 9 days prior and was seen by Dr. in Emerge who checked his knee by hand and squeezed out a blot clot on his knee and sent him home without an XRay. Husband told Dr. Long that original orthopedic surgeon from the Sault was on Personal Medical Leave of Absence at present. The orthopedic surgeons secretary suggested that an x ray be done. Dr. Long said she was nothing but a paper pushing person and that he's a surgeon and doesn't think he needed an x -ray. A female was attending my husbands room and left after hearing him say this to both my husband and myself. Needless to say after 6 days in the hospital he has finally been transported by ambulance in the Sault where he's been seen by an orthopedic surgeon and requires surgery to scrape, and replace parts of his knee replacement.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014

I would crawl over broken glass to see this amazing surgeon. I have had the pleasure of his care several times over the past 20 years and cannot recommend him enough.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2013

Our son had been in so much pain and had been treated unsuccessfully for infection by family doctors and emerg doctors. Dr Long saw him and immediately knew it was cancer. When the specialist we needed wasn't immediately available, Dr Long preformed surgery the next day. He then got him to a world renowned specialist and team with the best care. He has insisted that our son comes to see him every time he has been home from chemo treatments. No appointment needed, and he sees him immediately keeping great tabs on his progress. I'm so thankful that he has not retired yet. This family will always respect and be grateful to Dr Long. Those who work with him are really the only ones who can judge how he is to work with but to us they were amazing and so supportive and they were visibly proud that day of him and his fast action. He was the first in a large team of people who stepped int o save a young man's life and we are forever grateful to him.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2012

Yup Jack Long may not have the best bed-side manner but he saved my life. I was injured in a mine accident by a steel handle that penetrated my stomach and he was the surgeon that repaired it and shipped me out to Sudbury. He has cursed at me, ridiculed me about being fat and basically said I was an idiot for smoking. He cared enough to say it and saved my life after the accident so I think he is a great doctor. BTW everything he said was true and I guess sometimes the truth hurts. Any surgeon that has practised for as long as Dr. Long is going to have some negative comments. in his proffesion you just can not please everyone and in the case of health care emotions run high when things do not go well. If I want someone to talk nice to me I will go to church. If I want a surgeon who is good at his job I will go to Jack Long.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2011

He stepped in and took over for a Dr. who really didnt know what he was doing during my delivery! Dr. Long took good care of me and each morning came in and checked on me after my c-section.. He was so nice, and kind... A++++

flag | Submitted October 29, 2010

Very poor bedside manner. Always willing to ridicule fat people but not so willing to work with them to reduce weight or to refer them to a dietitian.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2010

We are lucky to have a doctor like Dr. Long in the community we are fortunate to live it. It makes me ill when I read comments regarding his "possible cocaine issues" and "letting people die from infections". It makes me sick. Dr. Long has been a great contribution to our community and if you aren't one of the thousands of seniors that just moved to our community and complains about everything you'd know that. To accuse someone of a drug problem is a serious accusation. And to assume that someone "lets" their patients die is ridiculous. Yes he doesn't have the best bedside manner and yes you have to wait awhile to see him sometimes, he is a master of craft and we should be THANKFUL to have him, hopefully you never need to use his services because no one wishes illness upon anyone, but please keep your gossip to yourselves.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2008