Ratings for Dr. Charles Akena

Very unhelpful Doctor. Horrible bedside manner. Doesn't let you speak, just states that there is nothing wrong with you. I saw him for strep throat. I normally get a case of it every year. I told him what my symptoms were. I had waited three weeks to see if it would clear up on it's own and it did not. He told me he didn't think I had strep but he could give me antibiotics anyway. I requested a QuickStrep test to make sure that I need the antibiotics. He ordered me out of his office and pointed to a chair and spat out wait here. A while later he called me back into his office with ride pointing gestures. The test cam back positive (much to his surprise). He then threw some pills at me and told me to leave.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2011

I have seen Dr. Akena when I am ill. I do not go unnecessarily only when I am not well. As a doctor, he sees many patients who are not ill. He takes the time to diagnose and do what is necessary for treatment. I find him thorough when I am ill. Dr. Akena will do what tests are required for a proper diagnosis. He has helped me and given me proper medical treatment when I was ill.Thank you, Dr.Akena.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2011

I've seen Dr. Akena twice. Both times, he appeared to be dismissive, treating me like a hypochondriac. He dismissed any benefit I could get from an allergy test or allergy shots, but said he would give me a referral to an allergist. He seemed annoyed that I didn't know my family history of allergies yet (something that wasn't required until after I got an actual referral elsewhere). I had to end up getting a referral from another doctor months later. When I asked him for a referral to a dermatologist, he said he saw no redness on my face and nothing was wrong with me. He also dismissed any suggestion that my allergy spray could be reducing the redness--my brother's allergist said it could. Again, he claimed he would give me a referral, but he seemed and I got the impression he wouldn't actually filed the referral. I ended up getting a referral from my allergist instead of Dr. Akena and the dermatologist confirmed what I suspected, that I had the same skin condition as my brother. I got the proper medication for it, no thanks to Dr. Akena.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2011

WORST DR. EVER. I cant believe he is a doctor. He is unsure of him self and doesnt even listen. I was telling him how sick I have been for the last few days, my tongue was swollen, I have been getting horrible coughing fits and loss of appetite and he looks at me like Iam making it all up and goes nothings wrong with you your fine, DR. AKENA says your fine so your fine, totally arrogant. I waited like an hr to see him and was out in 2 minutes. I would never refer this dr to anyone, he is a waste of time and a horrible doctor.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2010

Wow I came on here to see if there was something wrong with my perception. I thought I was over reacting as I was in so much pain. (thought my pain was interfering with my feelings) He was dismissive and rude. When I asked what he thought might be wrong he just waved me away. I asked three times before walking out of his office in tears! He doesnt offer anything. Just said it was not my lungs. Refused to say what it might be :(. I am upset at myself for walking out without saying anything. This clinic is great just ask for a different doctor!!!

flag | Submitted July 2, 2010

I have never encountered such a rude and uncaring doctor.Would not answer my questions,argued with me about my physical discomfort,would not listen to my concerns.Very difficult for me to understand what he was saying.My dog's vet has more compassion for his 4 legged patients than this doctor has for his 2 legged patients.Will not go back to that clinic until this doctor no longer works there.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2010

I have been seeing Dr. Akena since he came to Lakewood and find him excellent. Three years ago he correctly diagnosed a heart problem and I had a valve replaced. Since then he has phoned when my INR test is out of range even though Manitoba Medical does not pay for the phone call. I have also had thyroid and prostrate problems and Dr. Akena has been very helpful and knowledgeable in the treatment.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2009

i have had good and bad experiences with this Dr. At times he is helpful and listens to everything i have to say and at times he just doesn't care. One time i was not feeling well and sleeping lots i was telling all this and he made me go for a pregnancy test and it turned out i was pregnant but he told me just point blank that i was pregnant didnt offer any thing to help like a brochure or anything was not impressed.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2009

I have had the pleasure of seeing Dr. Akena on a few occasions and have found him to be very knowledge --- thankfully he was able to quickly diagnose my H. Pylori and it got treated rapidly. He has always greeted me with a smile (works both ways) and always has time to listen to my questions and is very good at explaining things to me, even a few chuckles.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2009

WORST Doctor Ever! (I hesitate to call him a Doctor) I had gone to him with a problem with my eye. He came into the room, didn't even say hello, and I told him about my problem. Akena just looked at my face from across his desk and said "I can't see any problem, Come back when you have a problem" He didn't even exam my eye with a light or instrument. This was a Sunday and I was the only patient in the office, it's not as if he was too busy that day. Ticked off, I said nothing and slammed the door to his room. Akena is one person who should not be in the medical field. He does not want to help people. On an aside, my wife was also an ex patient of his and he once said she had a serious blood disorder and laughed while he told her this. She worriedly saw 2 specialists who told her nothing was wrong with her blood. The only reason we were with Akena to begin with is b/c he was the only Dr. accepting patients. Now he has 2 more free spots. Do not let this person care for your health.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2008