Ratings for Dr. Hans Harlos

What some of Dr. Harlos's "regular patients" (at his clinic) may not know, is that he is also the "resident" doctor for a large senior's residence in Barrie. Dr. Harlos has been caring for my mom since she arrived three years ago (and some 160 other residents for I don't know how long!), and mom has always been very happy with him. In addition, there are other medical people in the family, and they, too, have been very happy with his treatment of mom! No doctor is required to be open 7 days a week, or even 5 days a week, depending on other work they may do (e.g., walk-in clinics, hospital privileges, etc.). I could not rate the good doctor for "Staff" and "Punctuality" (since I have never been to his clinic, and I am not there when he treats mom at her residence), but otherwise, he is excellent!

flag | Submitted January 26, 2017

OK, so i've been reading through some of the comments that people have been leaving and i am always impressed by those that leave very poor ratings because they are apparently medical experts themselves. I'm sure that they have all gone through the 10 years of training that is required to become a doctor and then spent years no the front lines learning even more through personal experience gained from face to face interactions with people that do not know how to accurately articulate their symptoms. I have been a patient of Dr Harlos for approximately 8 years and i have found him to be personable, caring, interested, knowledgeable and very helpful. I am in reasonable health but my wife and one of my children have had very serious health conditions to deal with and he has always taken the time to explain everything that is important about the issue and the planned treatment. He will take into account your opinions regarding treatment if you take the time to present a logical argument as to why you would prefer an alternative course. When i visit, it is not usually serious and i get in and out in a few minutes. I like this. When it is a family member that needs more time and sometimes even emotional support, he gives the time needed to provide the right level of care. Lets not forget that 4 out of 5 patients that a doctor sees is presenting a self curing ailment anyway so spending a lot of time with someone that will be better without treatment in a few weeks seems like a waste given that almost all doctors are completely overloaded with patients and some of them need real time with their doctor rather than a quick in, script and out. The fact that wait times can be extended by up to half an hour later in the day is not that big a deal given that as i have said earlier, some people need more time than others and doctors try to see as many people as they can and often overload their clinics just to try to get everyone seen. As an employer, i am told very frequently that people can't get into their doctors for 2 or even 3 weeks. I have seen Dr Harlos on the same day when i have described a medical emergency that needs treatment so i have no idea why people say that they can't get timely treatment. The fact of the matter is that doctors are not miracle workers. They have a finite amount of time to deal with more people than they can see and in my experience, most still try to see them all, even if that means that time is tight and appointments slide a little during the day. Those of you that take the time to write poor reviews, get over yourself and be happy that you live in a country where socialized medicine is available to all despite the system being run very inefficiently.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2016

Dr. Harlos has been my family doctor for about 10 years. He has taken good care of my spouse and children. I fear the day he retires. I am a cancer survivor because of Dr Harlos's actions. He looked into my family history (he does look at a family's history), and rightly concluded I had Melanoma again. Through him I was directed to the proper surgeon who removed a grapefruit sized tumour that was stage3. The short and sweet, Dr. Harlos saved my life. I can never say thank you enough to Dr. Harlos. M. Denomme

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

First he is never open, ( can never get an appointment unless you stock the place) He is rude and when open it takes an hour or more to go see him . He is also a pill pusher. Wish Elmvale had another doc .

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

He is a very caring and knowledgeable Dr. Yes, a little more rushed than years ago. He has made home visits to me and other house bound seniors. And street smart enough to extra watch his (special medication) patients. K.A.Radcliffe Barrie

flag | Submitted October 23, 2015

Dr. Harlos has been my physician for 30 years. I followed him from Collingwood to Elmvale. He has always treated me with respect and has been caring and a good doctor. He has never pushed any addictive medication on me and I have never asked for it. In my opinion he can see through the fakes or the attention seekers so that could be the reason why some people feel rushed and pushed out the door. If you have a legitimate medical problem he is an excellent doctor. One of the things I respect the most about him is if he feels he is not qualified to help you, he is confident enough to refer you on to a specialist. My biggest fear with Dr. Harlos is that he may retire someday and I know I will have difficulty finding another doctor that I respect as much and feel so comfortable with.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2015

This physician has no skill. He risks patient safety because he lacks fundamental knowledge. Best to have no physician than this guy.

Submitted December 30, 2014

Very RUDE rushes through appointments, does not listen. I will never return he just prescribes and sends you on your way. Was rushing out the door while I was still talking. Very unprofessional booking every 10 minutes is not enough time. Perhaps that's why I was 45 minutes late being called in then rushed out!!!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2014

I have been under Dr Harlos's care for over 6 years and other than the fact that he always squeezes patients into his schedule, making him run behind by approx 1/2 hour on most visits, i have found him to be an excellent physician. He is very knowledgeable, always listens and is very helpful, has an excellent bedside manner, always cheerful and provides an all round excellent service. I grew up with a doctor in the family and never needed one until my adult years and Dr Harlos is by far the best doctor that i have found since then.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2014