Ratings for Dr. Cheryl D. Ackerman

Horrible experience. She was beyond rude. I felt like I was bothering her by being there. I was rushed out. I bizarre experience.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2017

Ackerman is not about helping patients. Her bedside manner is horrendous and she barely spends anytime with you to give you a correct diagnosis or to help you understand your skin better. Before her, I never went to a dermatologist for my acne and never really understood why my skin acted up. I sat down with her and she barely looked at me; all she did was write stuff on her notepad and look at my face briefly. She prescribed me 2 medications (a face wash and a topical gel) without any discussion of options or how the medication was supposed to help my acne. The end result: it damaged my skin even more. I wish I never went to her.. Luckily I found a different (and SEVERELY COMPETENT) derm. I took the medications to him as I wanted a better explanation and he said the topical gel she prescribed me would've been the last option to use. He spent about 20mins explaining my skin and discussing different medications to use and in what phases we would use them in. So glad I found him!!!

flag | Submitted September 20, 2012

This is one of the worst docs I have ever had to deal with. After calling her, writing her a letter and stopping by her office personally, this quack continues to bill me, even though she is an in-network doctor, and for some reason refuses to process it through the insurance company. The last bill I received says she is taking me to a collection agency! And to make matters worse she gave me a wrong initial diagnosis. If I wasn't insured I would had to pay around $60 out of pocket for the wrong skin cream. And her bedside manner is very strange-- she asked me, "So, how's your year going so far?" Well, it would be a lot better if you give a correct diagnosis and stop sending me bills I am not responsible for!!

flag | Submitted June 25, 2012

Do yourself a favor and look for a better skin specialist. This doctor has given me most difficult time. Wait time is more than an hour. First of all she saw me in the roster waiting in line to see her for more than an hour yet she takes another patient (relative of her) before me. Second, her evaluation of my skin was totally wrong, thanks to another doctor that I ended up going to. She told me to get the blood checked, i did it, and then she would never get me an appointment to have a follow up neither she would mail me my report even after so many phone call requests. DO NOT go to this doctor - she seems to have some issues.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2012

Went to Ackerman and had such a terrible experience. On the day of my appointment I waited for about 40mins after the person before me left (15mins prior). I mean was the doctor taking a nap or something?!?! I finally go into the room and tell her about my ackne issue; barely looked at my skin yet prescribed 2 medications along with pushing her products on me. I was in her office for not more than 6mins-what was the rush for?! I'm baffled at the terrible way she practices. How can a derm not take a few minutes to take a good look at someone's skin?? Needless to say the medication she prescribed me only made my skin worse; it attacked my skin even more than the acne attacked it. I now to to a new AMAZING derm. Granted he is 35mins away, he is totally worth the commute. PS: If you go onto Vitals.com and check her reviews, you'll noticed way too many positive ratings that seems to counteract all the negative remarks. VERY fishy...

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

Wow. These people are completely lost. They had no record of my appointment for a follow-up visit or even for the initial visit. Dr. Ackerman didn't even know my name but pretended to remember me and my issues. I'll find a new doctor.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2012

Her office is dirty. She herself is somewhat disheveled and unkempt. She dresses in a somewhat gothic motiff which is inappropriate for a professional. When she closed a cabinet in the exam room, dust particles went flying all over the place. She did, however, clear my rash very effectively. I just think she needs to actually ponder the comments posted by her patients and change her practice. I heard her telling someone on the phone that her practice is not doing well, despite being open from 8am to 8pm and on weekends. If she would hire staff and clean the office to APIC or Dept. of Health standards, instead of using a generic janitorial service, or cleaning it herself, as it appears she is doing, her practice might start to flourish because medically, she is right on the money and personally, she is very sweet, pleasant and caring. It is just that her appearance and her office's appearance are in need of professional makeovers in order to instill confidence in patients.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2011

I would like to completely agree with the previous negative comments on Dr. Ackerman. I like to call her the mad scientist of skin. She has an extremely weird bedside manne and her office is filthy. Her own physical appearance mirrors the general unkempt atmosphere throughout the office. The staff at the front desk is abrupt and a bit vague with their instructions. This was my first and only visit to the office. I had gone there to see if she performed the spider vein procedure and discovered that she was inexpensive, but the cheaper price is not worth it. I don't think I can have a procedure done in an office that is so dirty and disorganized. Try to avoid this office at all costs!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2011

I completely concur with all negative remarks made. I now have a hole in my upper back, where she botched a biopsy a few years back. I stopped going to her, and further biopsies done by a different dermatologist yielded no such markings at all. That's the difference between a professional, and Cheryl Ackerman - Don't go near this lady, if you value your body, and your health.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2010

This Dr. has been nothing more than phenomenal. I started treatment with her a couple of months ago after many years of struggling with acne. I have been to many Drs. in NYC who were not able to help me the way Dr. Ackerman has done in the past couple of months. I have cystic acne which is one of the more severe formes of acne. It took a couple of weeks for me to see a difference in my skin. I am totally HAPPY with the results. I also had a acne scar removel treatment done which is very difficult to perform on African Americans because of potential keloids. The scar removal surgery came out much better than I would have ever expected. I would recommend Dr. Ackerman to anyone because she is very knowledgeable about her busniess and really catered to all my needs as her patient. Her office hours are also very convenient since I work in New York. She has been more than flexible with me.

Submitted January 1, 2010

Dr. Cheryl D. Ackerman's Credentials

• Suny-Hlth Sci Ctr At Brooklyn, Coll Of Med, Brooklyn Ny 11203 (Grad. 1986)