Ratings for Dr. William E. Callahan

I saw this doctor three times but by the third visit I realized his treatment practices were very unusual. The visits were very stressful. He has no staff so you wait in the waiting room hoping he shows up. I waited 30 minutes thinking he was with a patient to realize that was not the case. He offered no apology. After sitting with him in almost complete silence for the next 15-20 minutes, I got up and left. I can only assume he is knowledgeable because he has the required degree to be a doctor but I wouldn't know from experience because I never saw it. He seemed almost angry and was rude. I would have appreciated him speaking up if he didn't want to take me on as a patient. I understand he works out of Mission Hospital Laguna Beach. I hope for the sake of the patients admitted there that he is a bit more compassionate with them. If it makes a difference, and it shouldn't - I am a woman.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2013

I can't remember the exact price I paid, as this was several years ago. After about 1 or 2 sessions with Dr. Callahan, he concluded that I should be on 'effexor' and that I needed to take this for the "rest of my life" - I took his free samples for a week before I started feeling weird, then I looked up effexor online and discovered the many problems with it. He struck me as a cold man and each visit to his office was very stressful. After a few sessions I found another psychiatrist who told me I may have a mild anxiety disorder, but that it could be handled through therapy and exercise. Also, there was never a receptionist in the waiting room when I was there, I waited for 15 minutes the first time wondering if the doctor was even there. Dr. Callahan asked me maybe 5 different times if I was gay - I found this quite odd until I googled his name and found out that he is a prominent member of the gay community (not that there's anything wrong with that)

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009