Ratings for Dr. Joanne Seltzer

just not a nice person. Really I don't think she wants to be a Dr. There's no compassion or care from her when you bring a problem up, its always a dramatic response, she gets flustered and angry because it's more work for her. She charges my insurance the full amount and CANNOT wait to kick me out of the door as soon as she hands me the prescription.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2015

I've been seeing Dr. Seltzer for five years following the dissolution of my marriage, and to treat long-standing depression. It took 2 appointments to become comfortable with her, as it always does when starting to see a new psychiatrist. After the second appointment, I was comfortable with her approach and recommended treatment. What is refreshing about Dr. Seltzer is that she is also a good therapist. So often you go to a psychiatrist and the only objective is to write you a prescription; that is not the case with her. She listens, provides constructive suggestions and advice. I don't know why the other reviews are so poor. Maybe they only went to 1 appointment.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2014

This doctor was clearly not listening to a word I was saying. She kept staring out the window and at one point commented on how beautiful the tree was. I felt like the 45 minutes was a total waste of time. She didn't really have anything constructive to offer me except to have me come back again. I moved on.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2013

Callous, uncaring, and incredible rude, please do not pursue this woman as your doctor. 1. Recommends an outdated and expensive workbook with insulting and incessant activities in it which I purchase on Amazon for $45.00 plus shipping to get it in time for appointment two. 2. Spends 45 minutes with me at the first appointment and ends the appointment with a comment that clearly indicates that she has not heard a word I just said. "Well wouldn't you just love attending function X since you are a student of XYZ." No, I'm not a student. I have a masters degree in an unrelated field to XYZ and my professional situation is the reason I am pursing a psychiatrist. Sigh. 3. Second appointment makes me wait for 45 minutes in her waiting room with the indicator light on. When she comes out and blames me for getting the time wrong, I politely respond that I would have never made the appointment time for the same time I start work every day Mon-Fri. She got the time wrong. No apology.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2013

Dr. Joanne Seltzer's Credentials

• Suny At Stony Brook Hlth Sci Ctr, Stony Brook Ny 11794 (Grad. 1975)