Ratings for Dr. Michael S Cord

I'm afraid I cannot recommend Dr. Cord. In my experience, he is completely disengaged from the process of therapy and I got the sense he sees patients primarily for money. I think he should stop seeing therapy clients because he doesn't seem to be even interested in being a therapist. That's the sense I got after a few sessions with him. His cancellation policy is preposterous (in my opinion) - he bills you for missed appointments no matter how much notice you provide him, ie even if you give him a week's notice, he still charges you, unless he can book someone else to fill your slot. He seems more interested in income than actually doing the complex and demanding work to earn that income. He claims to have expertise in treating PTSD, but if he does, he doesn't demonstrate it. When I think of all the brilliant, compassionate researchers like Allan Schore who've been working so hard to educate clinicians about the meaning of "trauma therapy", it just makes me sad that we have folks like Dr. Cord saying they are specialists in treating trauma, when behind closed doors, clients do not experience that at all.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

If you want non directed "therapy" and a therapist who listens a lot but offers little other than the odd observation or generalization, then Dr. Cord my be the right psychiatrist for you. My time with him was frustrating and unproductive because of his lack of engagement with the reasons that brought me to see him. If you want input and some suggestions around ways to make thing better or more tolerable, then his methods may not be for you. He is very clever and well read but if therapy means some form of active healing you might want to look elsewhere. If all you need is a forum to talk with minimum input then by all means go see him. I hope this is a balanced and fair commentary to help others get the help they both need and want.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2012

doctor michael cord is wonderful. always himself. always let's you be yourself too. always having faith that you can be happy too. kind doctor. kind shrink.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2010

He is tough. He makes you work for your therapy. Don't expect him to tell you how to fix yourself. He listens and offers his opinions but ultimately if you are not willing to work on yourself and be honest with yourslef he's not the right guy for you. He was for me!

flag | Submitted May 4, 2010

I think it might be all about the match. He ended up not being my cup of tea but I accept that others might find him to be helpful. From only one (my) perspective - he was not very helpful. He has a good sense of humour but I was not looking for opportunities to laugh, especially at my circumstances. Dr. Cord was not very understanding of situations other than his own and was at times very insensitive. I would not return to see him, but others may think differently. I do think that it is about finding a good match and accept he was not the person I needed to speak with.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2009

Patients often come second to whatever else a doctor decides to do in life and, in the case of Dr.Cord doing so, as a psychotherapist, I am happy he does what pleases him in life because it makes him a better role model for me to do the things that make me happy in life. A lot of people who have problems and go to therapy aren't able to take charge of their lives and to say no to others when it is unrealistic to say yes...to realize that the only way to help others is to be a bit selfish & self-protective. Cord should probably smile more often and use fewer abbreviations when speaking :) but, hey, he is reliable and realistic. And if you don't like something he says you can tell him. He listens. He may not always agree but he has always respected my right to disagree and that means something. Personally speaking, if I wanted to be coddled or pandered to, I would stay away from therapy all together and remain attached at the hip with my looney family. Luckily, I'd rather be hip. :)

flag | Submitted November 23, 2008

He was recomended but my expecience has been that he is a therapist when it suits him to be a therapist, and that patients come second to whatever else he chooses to do. We are income fillers. I think he should concentrate his efforts and not try to do too much. The maxim is to do no harm and I think he does more harm than good, and sometmes with serious consequnces. I wish I could recommend Dr. Cord, but I cannot.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2008

First off, I would prefer to identify myself within this rating but this does not seem possible. Having noted this, Dr. Cord is a medical psychotherapist and not a family physician. While he may be referenced as an expert, my experience suggests he is unable to practice what he teaches.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2008

I wouldnt say he is cold and rigid. makes him sound like a frozen ameoba. And his refusal to diagnose makes him anything but "textbook." He has been really kind and understanding when I have been stressed and has offered logical advice.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2008

Cold and rigid. Ultimately unhelpful to me, but might work for another who is looking for an assessment of their shortcomings and need for improvement. A willingness to accept medication would likely be required. All told, well intended but lacking sensitivity to individual circumstances - a textbook kind of doctor.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2008