Ratings for Dr. Michael Mulligan

I first saw this Doc years ago. He seemed annoyed that I was looking for help with my issue. Didn't make eye contact, just socially awkward. I switched after my first visit to Dr Ian Reid. Who was great. Sadly, he had to leave and now years later I find myself in need of a urologists once again. Years later, he still doesn't look you in the eyes, just kinda stares at the floor when talking to you. He then scolds me for changing the reason I came to him in the first place. Well due to the fact that it took 7 months to see you. The first issue cleared up. Why would I cancel a chance to talk to you about my health because the reason changed? After which an appointment was made for surgery. I left feeling not good about the appointment. After which I asked others who had him for the same procedure and nobody had a good word to say about him. Then checking the reviews and a pattern emerges. With the poor handling of my case from the past and now so far, I refuse to let this man perform any surgeries on me. It means I have to start the process all over again, but If it means be treated better. I'll gladly wait.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2018

Since when did being a decent human being, kind and uncondescending become an "extra" or "bonus" that one should not anticipate from their doctor? How is that not a bare minimum expectation we should have of the people who enjoy the privilege of being called a doctor? I am baffled that some of the reviewers on here seem to think that it's an unreasonable expectation to be treated with respect by their physician. As if as long as a doctor doesn't kill you on the table we should just feel fortunate and excuse any dismal behavior as reasonable within their context. I'm a woman in my sixties, I have three degrees in microbiology and biochemistry and haven't experienced sexism and chauvinism of the likes that I did in my consult with Dr. Mulligan since my undergraduate years at Western. What a time warp. I sincerely hope he doesn't have any daughters. If he has a wife she either has bulletproof skin or incredibly low self-esteem. I have gone back to my family doctor and requested to see a different specialist. Despite having to go back on the waitlist for another 10-12 months, I refuse to be treated with such disrespect and misogyny. I would rather remain in the often extreme discomfort I'm currently in than subject myself to what Dr. Mulligan seems to think is acceptable behavior in 2018.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2018

his staffs are aweful racist people ! i WILL MAKE SURE THE PERSON will not get away with the damages that has done to my health ... The doctor himself is a good guy as a physician looks mediocre at his best ...

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

I have removed myself from this man's "care". I cannot take the stress that came anticipating my follow-up appointments. I have had no relief and healing has taken significantly longer than others my age who have had the same procedure done by another physician in years past. I know this because my sister saw Dr. Reid year's ago for the exact same issue and is now doing splendidly. Her entire experience was night and day different than mine. I have had nothing but complication after complication and not empathy during my appointments. Instead, I get interrogated for not follow drinking enough cranberry juice. Like that's supposed to make a messy incision heal right? Now, I have no one else I can see as Dr. Reid has left the island. Worse still is my friend at Health PEI told me that Dr. Reid left because of a dispute instigated by this man. Thanks a ton Mulligan. Jealous perhaps? Looking at the stark contrast between his reviews and yours I can see why. So if you're wondering why you're waiting so long for a urology appointment, he's also to blame. If you get one, you get to see someone less skilled with no people skills. Lucky us here on the island. Ego trumps professionalism I guess.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2018

I had my first appointment with Dr. Mulligan this morning. I found Dr. Mulligan to be very thorough, he took the time to ask detailed questions about my medical history and listened very intently to my answers. Dr. Mulligan was very personable, knowledgeable and made what could be a very awkward subject to discuss much more relaxing. I left my appointment very satisfied with my treatment plan and with various resources to help me understand my condition. Unfortunately, I did have wait for over a year from the time my family doctor submitted my referral for my appointment, which can’t be blamed on Dr. Mulligan or his staff rather the healthcare system on PEI. As for his staff, I had no issues. Check in was quick and to the point. I am very satisfied with my experience and feel that I am in good hands.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Let's point out how any "good" reviews on here don't go into any detail and try to make excuses for Mulligan's terrible attitude and condescending nature. Hypochondriacs? Dr. Phil? Is it a coincidence that these are exactly the words he used to describe me when I questioned my treatment plan when it wasn't working? Mulligan is writing his own good reviews on here and that's a fact. Urology in PEI is in a BAD state. Health PEI get your act together!!!! Being kind, compassionate and a good communicator is a prerequisite to being a good doctor. It's not an optional bonus trait for god sakes! Having MD in front of your name doesn't equal a license for treating people poorly or like subordinates. I have three degrees including a doctorate but I consider this my good fortune, not an excuse to elevate myself above others. I have removed myself from this man's poor care and am now seeing the new temporary urologist now that Dr. Reid is gone. Anything will be an improvement over this man. Anything.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2017

I am pleased to see / hear that many of his patients have the same negative feelings and experiences that I had under the non-care of Mulligan ( I won't say, Doctor ). He scoped my blatter and without telling me if he found anything wrong, he, in the OR, started filling out the paperwork for surgery. I told him "I don't do such important approvals, just like that, without much more thought and information ". The nurse, who was / had to be in attendance, in the OR gave a big smile of approval when I said I wouldn't sign up for surgery. He said " I never want to see you ever again " and topped that off with his idea of a professional comment " It's no skin off my nose ". All through the care? process with him he gave no eye contact, would not answer my questions and was very rough / rude during the 8 needles, to the prostate. procedure. I feel very sorry for all of the poor old guys who have gone under the knife, as patients, with - ( under + beneath ) - him. Should be removed from practice, on PEI +.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2017

Totally closed mind. Doesn't answer question simply because he does not know how to listen!! I am told I have a swollen prostate. I am taking Flomax and it was not working that well. As soon as I started drinking EZ Flow tea my urine flow improved considerably. I asked him about the tea before telling him I was taking it. He laughed and called it garbage. I told him it is working great for me and he scoffed. The man is a jerk. He told me if the flow does not improve after the catheter is removed we will talk surgery! He hasn't even examined my prostate NOR scoped me inside to see if the prostate is swollen or the urethra blocked. There is now effin way we are talking surgery . Totally incompetent!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2017

Great doctor. Maybe not the best bedside manner, but in surgery it is the surgery that counts and he was excellent in what he did for me. Sounds to me like some of the bad reviews are from hypochondriacs who want someone to hold their hand and be Dr Phil.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

I wrote my review below and want to delete but I can not. I now see very well what all people all over the other reviews were saying was true about Dr. Michael Mulligan. He asked me very hard to write my review on ratemd after I had his service which was not bad at that point. Now that I post a good review saying I make my own judgments and giving him 5 stars he has turned into the bad doctor that everyone says. He doesn't answer my next questions and I now have complications and pain. He is unavailable and doesn't have the patience to answer my concerns. I no longer support my previous review underneath and wish that others would ignore it as it is no longer what I believe. I believe you should still make your own judgment but my judgment was wrong and only valid until he got what he wanted from me which was a rare good review here on ratemds. I feel very used and now think he is a bad doctor and not a very honest person.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017