Ratings for Dr. Geraldine Johnston

Dr. J has has my whole family our entire lives, sure sometimes appointments take a while to get into, sometimes the wait times are long but when you do get in to see her you know your in good hands. Dr.J has never missdirected me in any aspect of my lifw I for one am greatful to even have a family doc as many of my friends dont and I see the struggle with them. Thanks Dr. J !

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

When I was in eight grade I had to miss two weeks of school. Because I had laryngitis. It sucked . But I finally went to Montague emergency my mother and I had to wait 2 and Half hours to finally get into see the doctor. I got to the bay to wait for the doctor I wouldn't stay in there because there was an old guy on life support but the nurse and my mother blocked the door so I wouldn't leave. We waited about another half hour then the nurse came in and sat down beside me and rubbed my back she was very caring told me to breathe slowly . I got a little emotional and she said what's wrong i said that I was sick and tire of not being able to breathe for two weeks she that I'm in the best care with Dr. Geraldine and she told me that everything was going to be okay . Before she left she gave me a hug. Then Dr. Johnston came in and she held me in her arms I was still a little upset she said let me check your lungs she did and she stayed with me and asked me what the matter is I said I was feed up with being sick she held me in her arms and said the nurse will be right back with some med to help with the mucus in my lungs . The nurse came back in and helped me out in the mask and told me everything is going to be fine she rubbed my back and told me everything would be fine she gave me a hug before she left they were very caring and helpful that night dr Johnston came in and to check on me to she how I was doing I was laying down and she held my hand because she could see I was still a little bit upset . She told me there was no meds she could give me very calming staff sarah Macdonald

flag | Submitted January 3, 2018

Dr Johnston has been my family physician since I was a child and my original doctor left the province. I would love to be able to say I am happy knowing she is my doctor, but unfortunately I can't. I feel as though maybe she should give up some of her patients or maybe stop taking a vacation every other week because it's close to impossible to get in to see her. I tried for a year and a half to get in to see her for my yearly physical and my appointment was bumped ahead at least 10 times. I have hit redial about 500 times in order to get through to her office - half of the time the receptionist has the phone off of the hook because she is "busy" but they wont return calls if you leave a message. If you don't get through, you're sh*t out of luck. I've been trying for 3 days to get through to book an appointment for my newborn daughter.. And honestly, if I can get her a different doctor, I will. She is friendly, sure, but I find she doesn't take you seriously. It's impossible to get a referral to any other doctor from her without a fight. You wait forever to get an appointment And then when you show up for said appt you wait another hour + before you get to a room and another 20-40 minutes for her once you are in there. You have 10 minutes to discuss and solve ONE problem.. If you have any other issues you are to book another appointment. And with that, all I can say is.. Thank God for her nurse practitioner (who is run off of her feet) for being there every time I (and any of my family members) have needed her.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Dr. Johnston is a lovely person and very kind. While her bed side manner and personality are wonderful, I'm not sure that she has the best medical opinion. In my experience and in observing how she has treated other families, I do not believe she does her due diligence to ensure that she is providing the best care for her patients. Prescribing medication can be a simple fix and can make people feel better, but in some cases greater attention to detail is required and a simple fix does not work. In my own experience, with a family member, Dr. Johnston prescribed pain medication for back pains and it wasn't until my family member came into her office with jaundice that she investigated further and made a referral. Long story short, a cancer tumour the size of a grapefruit was found. Given the size of the tumour, it is evidence that this diagnosis happened much too late. I believe that Dr. Johnston may be capable in dealing with day-to-day symptoms and illnesses, but if you have more serious doubts, a second opinion should definitely be sought.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

Johnston is my family doctor and all my life I don't think I've had one bad sitting with her. Though the wait times usually tend to lap over your appointment I can see why it happens as she takes her time with patients and makes sure they are getting their issue resolved before you leave the office. She is kind and considerate and never makes you feel bad about anything varying from anything between weight or life choices. When I went to her with concerns about weight gain caused by medication, her first response wasn't "you just need to exercise and eat better" like other doctors, but instead made sure before readjusting meds that there was blood work done and gave me information on how to go about seeing a dietitian/nutritionist. Once I met with a dietitian long enough to resolve the fact that the weight gain was due to medications, she happily changed the kind I was on and not once made me feel as though I was delusional or in denial. Her and her staff are both kind and considerate, and make you feel right at home. Amazing and well knowledgeable as well!

flag | Submitted January 20, 2017

In the 8th grade is went to see doctor Johnston in the emergency room in montague . I had to wait two and half hours . Then I was called back to the exam room I wouldn't go into the room because there was a guy on life support . But the nurse and my mother stayed by the door. So I could not leave. I sat up on the exam bed then an other nurse came in and sat down right beside me and put her arm around me and rubbed my my back and told me to breath slowly . I started to cry the nurse asked me what's wrong I said that I'm just fed up with not being able to breath for over two weeks she said its okay no need to be upset dr Johnston will figure out what's worng. Then she left and the dr Johnston came in and sat down beside me and put her arm around me and gave me a big hug I was still crying a little bit she asked me why I was upset and I said It was hard to breath for to weeks she said it was okay and she would figure out what was wrong with me she then took out her stethoscope and she put it only back and told me to breath in and out then she put it on my chest and told me to breath in and out. Then she told me that the same nurse would come back in and give me a mask to put over my face and breath in a medication to help loosen up my mucus in my throat. The same nurse came in and sat down beside me and gave the mask with medication in it she helped me put it on and put her arm around me and and rubbed my back and told me to breath in and out to get all the medication into my lungs . Then when she left I layed down because I was tired and then dr Johnston came back into check on me she held my hand and told me to keep breathing in the medication. Then she told me to sit and she checked my breathing to make sure it was better.dhe told us there was no medication she could have given me so then mom and I went home.i had layryngists

flag | Submitted October 6, 2016

When I was in the eight grade I went to the emergency room in montague PEI for layringitis . I could barley breath mom and I had to wait two and a half hours . When they finally took me back into the exam room I would not go in because the was a guy on life support I went to turn around to leave but my mom and one of the nurses stood by the door way so I wools leave they turned me around. After that's I sat up on the examination table.after about fifteen minutes another nurse came in and sang down beside me she put her arm around me and started to rub my back and told me to take slow breaths she told me it was going to be okay and kept rubbing my back I got a little nervous when i could barly breath I started to cry she told me that it was okay and I was in very good hands with Doctor Geraldine i told her I new that she asked me why I was so upset I told her I was fed up with not being able to breath or talk for a week she said it would be okay she understood she stayed with me and kepet rubbing my back until dr . Johnston got there. Then she left and told mom and I that the doctor would be in soon. Then when Doctor Johnston came in she sat down beside me and gave me a big hug she told me to breath slowly she then took out here steathoscope and told me to breath in and out. Then she told me that the same nurse was going to come in with a mask that contained a medication that would lossen up the mucus that was in my lungs. The same nurse came in she sat down beside and told me to breath in the medication after she put the mask on my face it was like a little gas mask like the ones they use in the operating room. She stayed there sitting with me to make sure I was breathing in the medication right she rubbed my back again and told me to breath in and out and I did after she left the room I layed down on the pillow because I was pretty tired by then after I had taken the medication the doctor came back in she held my hand and asked how the paitent was doing I told her okay. Besides I could barley breath for two weeks. She then took out her stethoscope And told me to breath again she said it sounded a bit better then before. That there was no medication that could help after that mom and I left the hospital and went home.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

She is wonderful and if it's something serious she will help right away, but you have to wait to long to see her and it's tough when you don't want to sit at outpatients for 6 hours

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

I went to see Dr.johnston in the emergency room in montague in grade 8 when I had laryngitis I couldn't breath and couldn't talk . I waited for about 2 1/2 hours . When i got to the exam then nurse came in and put her arm around me and held me and told me to breathe slowly . She held in her arms and took my temperature . Then she left and Dr.johnston came in and sat down beside me and put the sethscope and told me to breathe . Then she gave me a hug and then she gave me a mask to breathe humidifier air it was very easy to breathe through

flag | Submitted December 17, 2015

Dr. Johnston is a wonderful woman. She's kind and diligent and reassuring. However, the office is NEVER open. It is only open for four days of the week, and the hours are not guaranteed through the week. When you call, you usually get an answering machine saying they are closed until "Monday" but no time of opening is mentioned. I think it might be somewhere around 10am? When you do reach her receptionist she is usually quite curt with you and will give you an appointment time within any time from 2 months to a year. I find this quite unacceptable to be honest, because this is the reason our 'Emergency' clinic in Montague is overflowing with people that aren't in emergency situations, but need to be looked at in a smaller time frame than 2 months. Her nurse is fantastic and always very sweet, as is Geraldine. However with the wait and the constant appointment changes, I'm thinking about changing doctors as well. I know there are better programs in place at other offices, whether we choose to pretend we're getting the best care possible or not. I feel bad writing a poor review of her office, since she is such a wonderful human being, however this type of care is unacceptable.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2014