Ratings for Dr. Neil J. Wells

Dr. Wells has performed two surgeries - one cosmetic and one hand reconstruction...great doc...very easy to talk to. Answered all my questions...he staff is great too....always avalailble, answered all my questions...great girls...would not hesitate to recommend him ....

flag | Submitted July 23, 2016

My initial appointment with the doctor was fine and he seemed very nice and took the time to explain things to me. He seemed very knowledgeable and I would like to arrange another appointment with the doctor to discuss options regarding a procedure I would like to have but I hesitate to go back to the doctor because I don't want to deal with his rude assistant again. My first encounter with Dr. Wells' MOA/receptionist was by phone and I found her to be rude. My second encounter with her was in person and she was extremely argumentative and defensive and she did not put me at ease at all. I tried to explain some very valid concerns I had. She was unwilling to listen, talked over top of me, and was extremely rude and did not ease my concerns at all. This is the first time I have had such a negative experience with anyone in the medical profession. The assistant is the first person that patients encounter at a doctor's office and I think it is very important that the assistant is able to put people at ease as opposed to becoming argumentative and defensive with the patients.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2016

My first encounter with Dr. Wells was less than favorable. I felt rushed and left feeling blindsided and confused. I'm guessing I caught him on an off day. For my follow up appointment, I went armed with tons of questions. He was wonderful! He patiently answered all my questions and then some! He spent a great deal of time with me and I left feeling that he really wanted to help me and he really wanted me to get through this injury. I watched him interact with the other patients in the clinic and he was just as patient and thorough with each of them. I truly believe he was having an off day the first time I met him, and we're all human so I would no let that effect my rating. I am very grateful and would not hesitate to recommend him!

flag | Submitted May 19, 2016

Excellent surgeon with excellent bedside manner, explained options clearly so average "Joe" could understand. Wonderful results.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

His staff, Kelly and Diane, go out of their way to be kind, caring and compassionate. Dr. Wells is great. Very easy to talk to and an excellent surgeon. Would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

Not only does this surgeon not go out of his way to help but he has the rudest, most argumentative staff that I have ever encountered. The problem is that when you are the big fish in a little pond -- you can act this way. It isn't appropriate but that is the way it goes so if you are looking for a surgeon-- I would say he would be average in the U.S but because of our medical system - you take what you get. God help you if you need a letter or follow-up because it appears that once Daddy Warbucks gets his pound of flesh (literally) from you then it's the rude argumentative staff that you deal with. The good doctor knows how rude his staff is. . This means he knows his staff runs rough shod over people at their most vulnerable-- those injured, in pain or desperate. He has no checks or balances so anyone with this kind of power can't help but believe their own b.s. and believe it is okay to treat people the way his staff does. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

fixed my scaphoid and left almost no scar after a pin was installed. it is 100% i have beat on it for over 10 years and it is still awesome! thank you!!! now i need the other wrist done!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2016

I have recently had surgery by Dr. Wells and couldn't be happier. I found Dr, Wells to be professional and I immediately felt at ease with him. He answered all my questions and was not in a rush, as some physicians can be. My surgery was booked shortly thereafter and the front office staff were beyond helpful. Kelly was very competent and I felt I was in good hands. She even called me earlier than expected with the time of my surgery and to reassure me that all would be well and the call her at anytime if I had any questions. Surgery was done at the Squamish General Hospital. It is a lovely place and all the staff were truly amazing. I would not hesitate to go there again for any health issue.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2015

Dr Wells himself is a decent enough guy. Not very warm or chatty, and a little dismissive and distant, but he's a surgeon and that's how they often are. It's OK. But my experience with one of his staff was so terrible, that I need to contribute it to this site. It was either that, or file a formal complaint with the health authority. And this method is quicker for me and I believe more efficient at creating public accountability. Kelly (his MOA I assume) was rude and condescending to me when I called to ask a simple clarifying question about my procedure. She jumped right to being defensive and combative and blamed my GP's referral (inaccurately). I was calm and attempted to re-explain, but she refused to listen to my actual question and insisted on scheduling a second assessment. This strained my relationship with Dr Wells, as once we were in this 2nd appointment together, neither of us felt it had been necessary to schedule the appointment to answer my simple question about the procedure. The actual surgery went OK - and while the results haven't been entirely ideal (I've lost sensation at the incision site), it's been an improvement. The staff at St Paul's Hospital were very warm and friendly and the attending nurse really put me at ease during the procedure. After the surgery, Dr Wells verbally gave me a few post-surgical instructions and, after answering a couple of my anesthetic-garbled questions, sent me on my way. There really wasn't much follow up care needed, so he made a joke about not wanting to see me again - but honestly, I was already too uncomfortable to call his office for follow up after how I'd been treated by Kelly, even if I had needed it. Kelly's behaviour was just so egregiously inappropriate I couldn't keep it to myself: from being rude and condescending, to dispensing unqualified and speculative medical advice, to blaming my GP, to insisting on scheduling an unnecessary appointment (and then telling me the wrong date over the phone). I know other people have had good experiences there, and the rest of the staff seemed honestly quite apologetic for her behaviour. But Kelly greatly and negatively impacted my experience of surgery, my relationship with Dr Wells, and how helpful I was able to find his care. I felt an obligation to share my experiences, as I hope that it might provide impetus for improvements - or at least help others know what to expect.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

I had implants done by Dr. Wells, he really took the time to find out exactly what I was looking to achieve & gave me suggestions based on my body type & wants. My appointment did not feel rushed at all & all my questions were answered during my appointment. After my procedure I spoke on the phone & via email with Dr. Wells, he contained to check up on me & answer my recovery questions. All the staff were extremely friendly & non judgmental. If I get anything else done in the future I would definitely go back to Dr. Wells!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2015