Ratings for Dr. Darren E. Killen

I was (because it's now past tense) a patient of Dr. Killen for 13 years. I needed to get in to see him, admittedly with same day notice, and I was refused. Wouldn't bother to see me or even speak to me on the phone. I had to call twice because the receptionist claimed she was "busy" and "forgot" to ask him the first time I called. She ultimately refused an appointment and referred me to urgent care. After 13 years of going to him, he knows I am not a hypochondriac, nor do I have a plethora of health problems, nor have I ever asked to be squeezed in the same day. I always make appointments. I needed him to squeeze me in just one day. He refused. I will no longer be his patient. To others who may need to see him right away, he won't do it. I'm flabbergasted, upset, disappointed, and so many other emotions. I'm stunned. I don't need a primary care physician who won't even bother to give me a call about something that is important concerning my HEALTH, or who is so rigid he can't make one exception in 13 years and squeeze me in. I always thought he cared. I was so, so wrong. That was confirmed at the walk-in clinic I had to go to instead. The medical professionals there were appalled that he wouldn't see me and said I did the right thing in dropping him.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

I love Dr. Killen he is the best ever. I have been going to him since 2006 and it's not 2014. I went to another Dr once when I got sick in New York and felt like I was cheating on Dr. Killen. lol. Trust me he's very caring, concerned, and even though he see man patients he remembers all of his clients issues. He connect with you.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

I feel more comfortable with Dr. Killen than I have with any other practitioner I have had. He's just easy to be around listens well, and takes care of the probem ASAP

flag | Submitted July 21, 2011

Dr. Killen is the best and I recommend him to others whenever I get a chance. He is compassionate and kind and takes as much time with me as needed. Please note that *Ann* his previous office manager is gone and the office atmosphere has improved because of it.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2011

I have gone to dr. Killen for almost seven years. The quality of care, the ease of getting an appointment and the true, genuine care of dr. Killen has kept me a dedicated customer and advocate of him. I believe this overcomes Ann and all the huge , wasteful doctor offices I have visited in the past. This is a real find.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2010

Great office staff and very nice doctor. Very helpful and very clear on advise. Would recommend him. Great brookside location

flag | Submitted April 6, 2008

Dr. Killen is a caring doctor, always listens to my issues and asks thorough questions. He is very good to work around my allergies and prescribe generics when I ask to help save money. Some have posted that he is "cool" or stand-offish but I don't think so. I enjoy the same day appointment policy allowing you to see him on short notice, and I never sit very long in the waiting room. The nurse is sweet and warm too. I like her patience with me when she asks a question I do not know the answer to (like what current medications and dosages are you taking). Unfortunately I could only give a 4 out of 5 on Staff because of the front office help. The lady that works the phone and front desk is cold. She comes off as mean and rude, maybe that is just her communication style, but I sometimes dread calling for an appt because I know she will be the one answering. And she gets snooty fast if she thinks you owe money or are delaying on an old bill. A perfect score if not for her.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2007

Dr. Killen is helpful and knowledgable. It's a shame that his office assistant (Ann, I think) would rather have an argument with a patient than help them. I'm a friendly and reasonable person, however I still deal with her attitude and witness it when she speaks to other patients. I'm going to look for a new doctor.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2007

I echo the same sentiment as other raters. If Dr. Killen would rid himself of his rude, unprofessional receptionist, he would be an ideal physician.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2006

I have been seeing Dr. Killen for several years and he is indeed excellent. Professional and helpful. He's also not afraid to seek additional information if there is something he needs to know more about before making a diagnosis or choosing a treatment. I also have had a good experience getting follow-up help from his nurse, including phoning in a prescription refill to a pharmacy. I would echo the earlier comment about the receptionist, however: She has been consistently rude to me, and was downright mean when I needed assistance with a billing matter a couple years ago, refusing to provide copies of invoices because it was inconvenient for her. I almost didn't go back. If Dr. Killen would make a change at the front desk, this would be an ideal practice.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2006

Dr. Darren E. Killen's Credentials

• Univ Of Ks Sch Of Med, Kansas City Ks 66103 (Grad. 1992)

Amerigroup