Ratings for Dr. L. WAYNE Houk

Terrible experience, has a complex about getting questioned. Doesn't treat you as an individual and forgetful. I went to the ER for bleeding and was told I had fibroids, when I informed him, he didn't know, despite the records being in the file, then said the ER was incorrect. Came in at my next ultrasound and he informs me I have fibroids.... Bedside manner is TRASH. Told him about severe nausea, he then tells me how his wife lost 30lbs while pregnant and mine is not a concern. He could never remember my gestational age, despite it being in my file. Which resulted in getting my ultrasound and blood work done at the wrong time...and having to have it redone, which insurance didn't cover another ultrasound video. When discussing options of a VBAC, he attempted to use scare tactics...I fired him at 33wks, best decision I ever made.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2018

Somewhat competent but patriarchal and insecure, and practices with a "fear of litigation" based practice model. Poor communicator. Wouldn't recommend.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2018

My wife got recommended to Dr Houk from a new physician she recently starting seeing after moving here from out of state. My wife came home nearly in tears saying he was the most condescending doctor she had ever visited. She said he continually cut her off as she was trying to explain and answer questions about symptoms she was trying to explain. He wasn't even familiar with the name of the birth control she was taking ...let alone what its side effects may be...and basicly took what should have been a medical and physical discussion about birth control medication side effects...and turned it into a physiciatric lesson that was completely off base...100% wrong...and he would have realised it if he had allowed to her to finish her sentences in the first place. Then when she was leaving, she could easily over-hear him laughing with the other nurses... saying "Well this is really what her problem is".....Not trying too hard to consider she was right across the hall in plain hearing distance (almost as if he intended for my wife to hear them making fun of her). I'm sorry, but proffesionl doctors should not act like high schoolers gathered around a locker smirking and smiling as you walk down the hall...especially when they are not even right...and getting paid good money to at least treat someone like they are being taken seriously. Obviously...me being her husband... I take much offense to this. I only would recommend him if you enjoy feeling like you are being taken as a joke and are not worth his time.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016

I had been seeing Dr Houk for annual exams for 10 years. At my last visit I told him I was having worsening depression. He told me that I needed to get right with Jesus. I won't be going back to him ever.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2015

I LOVE Dr. Houk. I was very nervous about having OB but he is wonderful. This is my first pregnancy and he has made both me and my husband so comfortable with any and all questions. He doesn't make you feel stupid and will actually listen to what you're saying. If there is something that he thinks may be cause for concern, he acts on it immediately. The only times he's ever been late to an appointment is when he has been at the hospital delivering a baby. This hasn't happened very often but the staff is very good at letting me know if I will have to wait any extra time and giving me the option reschedule if that works better for me. It doesn't bother me at all because it tells me that if one day I am the emergency, he will be there to take of me. My (and my husband's) favorite thing about Dr. Houk is his sense of humor. He is hilarious! So many doctors have zero personality but Dr. Houk is so funny! I recommend him to everyone!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2015

I chose Dr.Houk because my insurance would not cover the doctor the I wanted. He made me cry when I was pregnant with my first child and had concerns about my baby's health. He was so rude when I asked for another ultra sound to she just on the baby's extremities as his answer was " ultra sound is not for fun and there is no medical indication for you to order it." It has been 10 years since I used him as my doctor but I still remember his name and his red and unkind personalit at the time when I was extremely exited about my first child.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2015

I've been going to Dr. Houk for about 6 years now and have always been very happy with him and his staff. Very nice man, easy to talk to, great bedside manners and hilarious!

flag | Submitted October 25, 2014

Dr. Houk has been my GYN for the past 4 years. He performed my ablation in 2012 & my hysterectomy a week ago. He's a wonderful doctor with a great manner and a lot of knowledge. I would recommend him to any woman I know! As I am moving out of state soon, I will miss him as my doc & hope to find a gyn just as hood as he is.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2014

Dr. Houk is a WONDERFUL Doctor. He has delivered all three of my children my beautiful healthy son my beautiful daughter and one unfortunately with anenencephaly. With a 0% chance of survival for her, Dr Houk and I decided to induce at 5 months along with my baby girl. Dr. Houk admitted me and kept me comfortable. I was in labor for two days and two nights, He slept at the hospital at night so he'd be there when it was time. Him and the staff were very compassionate and showed that they cared. 3 months later I was pregnant again and he delivered my healthy baby girl 9 months later. I recommend Dr. Houk to every one I know! He is funny, nice, stern when necessary but all with good intentions. If I decide to one day have another, I will go back to him!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2014

Dr. Houk delivered all 4 of my kids! He has great bedside manners! Is an awesome doctor. Spent time with us and answered any questions we had! Very funny and has a great personality. If you need a wonderful and caring OB/GYN Dr. Houk is the doctor for you. He staff is also very friendly and caring.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Dr. L. WAYNE Houk's Credentials

• Univ Of Tn, Memphis, Coll Of Med, Memphis Tn 38163 (Grad. 1993)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal