Ratings for Dr. Kevin Gurr

I had an L4-5 spinal fusion done by Dr. Gurr. You can be very confident that he is the right guy for your spine surgery. Very experienced and knowledgeable and yes Pat and the other staff are great too. If he is late it's because these guys are extremely busy and in my case a co joined nerve extended the surgery time significantly. My surgery was successful and I am thankful for the help I have received. The wait times are primarily the fault of our provincial government's failure to fund the hospitals sufficiently to provide the patient services that are needed.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

My husband is a patient of Dr. Gurr's. I cannot say enough about a very positive experience from our first visit to his office right through to a very difficult back surgery including a couple of complications that were totally unexpected. When Dr. Gurr came to talk to me after my husband's surgery, he was compassionate and very caring in explaining that my husband was taken to the CCU Unit as a precaution due to complications. His calmness helped me to deal with a very traumatic time. Even with unexpected complications, my husband's surgery was a success. 3 weeks after surgery, he is pain free for the first time in almost 4 years. We are so thankful for the referral that led us to Dr. Gurr. Pat, his secretary is amazing. How she keeps everything straight is beyond me. Cheerful, caring and so helpful. I do not have one negative thing to say about my husband's experience with Dr. Gurr.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

After many years of significant discomfort and increasing numbness and disability, Dr. Gurr performed a lumbar decompression, discectomy and fusion 1 year ago today and I have been pain-free since. Dr. Gurr proved to be the most compassionate and professional medical person I have ever met. With his incredible skills, I am so grateful that he performed my surgery.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2016

Can't say enough. He's the best. Performed ACDF on C5-C7. Everything went as explained to me. I highly recommend his talent and knowledge. I'm very satisfied with everything from initial pre-op to post-op follow ups. He is in no hurry and will answer all of your questions. Thank you Dr. Gurr.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

I was a patient of Dr. Gurr some years ago and under his care I had three surgeries. I had found him to be very caring and understanding man, I have no complaints about this doctor. I felt safe in his hands, thank you Dr. Gurr. Signed: A.T.M.P.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2015

Where do I start with this guy. I waited 1 year and 9 months to see this so called best in Canada. When I get there I was told i need an xray of my back , so I get it done, mind you I have all my MRIs available . Then I wait another 2 hours . His assistant had more questions for me then Gurr did. When the doctor enters the room he doesn't even acknowledge me but starts asking his assistant questions , well excuse me arent I the patient . Then he tells me I need another MRI because my previous ones are out of date . Why couldnt somebody tell me about this like lets say 1 year ago. I felt like he was rushing everything which he was because he was done at 4 pm and I got in to see him at 330 pm. Oh and why give me an xray that day if you are not even going to look at it. You would think he would of looked at my previous MRI and the xray to see where I was at over 1 year ago to give me some kind of gauge to how bad it was back then , but nothing at all.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2015

In March of 1993 Dr. Garr put my leg. Back on after literally being ripped off by a PTO from a tractor. Don't remember much of the time but my wife said there was no BS and he got it done. 2014 now and leg is still attached and functioning

flag | Submitted December 7, 2014

I suffered from a herniated disc at L5/S1 when I was 22 years old (2010). Initially settled it down with Pysio until September 2013 I blew the disc out again while lifting weights. I had surgery June 2014. I can't say enough good things about Dr Gurr and his staff. This man literally gave me my life back. Don't expect him to be your friend he is there to fix you and that he will. Dr Gurr is a blessing and amazing at what he does. Maintain your exercises after surgery, live a healthy life style and you will be fine. I'm 15 weeks post op and have my life back and most importantly I'm PAIN FREE. If you are heading in for back surgery, all I can say is ignore any negative comments below and do everything in your power to ensure Dr Gurr is your surgeon.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2014

To start off, this was the first sort of experience I had with surgery. I was referred to Dr.Gurr in 2010 due to a herniated disc (L5). I was 16 years old and had a lot of sciatic leg pain (never had back pain until post-op), and despite PT for a couple months, it kept getting worse. When I first met Dr.Gurr, he was reassuring and comforting about surgery. When I left the consultation I was given a book for post-op exercises and care by the secretary. That is next to all the info I was given for post-op. The day of the surgery, doctors in the OR were very kind, but Dr.Gurr himself barely said a word to me. The first consultation post-op, he asked me questions, but didn't give me much advice. The second and last one, he was nearly two hours late and rushed during the appt. Two years later, I have severe pain 24/7 in my entire spine and I feel it's because I didn't do things right post-op, since I was never properly instructed. :( I had to find out on my own how important exercises are.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2013

I recently had a lumbar discectomy performed by Dr Gurr. I found him to be one of the most unassuming doctors that I have ever met, let alone received services from. He has excellent bedside manner, a great sense of humour (important to me in putting me at ease) and all in all the experience could almost be described as ‘’pleasant’. I wish I could say the same for the intern that examined me before Dr Gurr came into the room. The intern was ready to send me away with the impression that surgery was not an option, but Dr Gurr then looked at the MRI and corrected him. Literally less than two weeks later I was on the table … after a 20 year history of back pain, I finally found someone willing to take a good look. I am still recovering, and have numbness and discomfort still, but it’s only been three or four weeks since the cut and I have hopes for at least a chance of recovery … something that no one has given me to this point. I highly recommend Dr Gurr for back surgery. Great guy.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2011