Ratings for Dr. Douglas A. Murphy

I had the surgery in June of 2007 so I am an early success. I am now retired but was back at work in six weeks. Going strong!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2019

Dr. Murphy performed Mitral Valve repair for prolapse / regurgitation. Both side of the valve needed repair. I was 55 at time of surgery and otherwise in good health. The robotic procedure was tremendous. Recovery time of only 2 weeks. I can't imagine anyone having sternotomy when minimally invasive robotic surgery is available. Highly recommended. St. Joseph's was also top-notch, including the team of nurses in the Cardiac unit where I recovered for about 2 days before going home.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2018

Dr. Douglas Murphy literally saved my life in October 2017. My mitral valve was destroyed after having endocarditis approximately 7 months. I was not a candidate for robiotic surgery as it was feared at the last moment that I could possibly have endocarditis on my aorta. Plus, I checked into the hospital with kidney failure, septic blood, and heart failure. Fortunately, I did not have endocarditis on the aorta, but the mitral valve was replaced successfully! Dr Murphy is such a great surgeon! He has a very wonderful Christian attitude, and he was very patient with my questions and very reassuring. I recovered fully, and within 4 months gained back the 30 pounds I had lost during my illness. I stayed in the hospital 16 day following my surgery. I am completely fine now...no medicine required, no special diet, and I walk an average of 5 miles a day (100% energy) and go to the gym to workout every couple days. And there is no scar on my sternum from open heart surgery! Thank God for Dr Murphy!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

I am a (now retired) physician who needed a mitral valve repair. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I used all of my knowledge and looked for the best. I did not see geography or insurance as any limitation and literally looked far and wide across the entire country. I also searched the medical literature and talked to others who had the surgery...and found the best right in my home town of Atlanta. Had surgery done about 6 years ago with perfect... yes, perfect results ever since. Fully active, lots of energy to spoil 12 grand kids and no evidence of problems on Echo or symptom-wise since. Dr. Murphy is amazing. His staff were also wonderful to deal with. Had the surgery on a Thursday... went home on Sunday and 1 week after surgery walked 1.5 miles. 6 weeks later I started running again. I recommend Dr. Murphy without reservation.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

I had robotic mitral valve repair surgery Aug7, 2015 by Dr. Murphy....follow up appt Aug 13... Results were a perfect repair...off al pain meds by Aig 11...dr. Murphy is the most skilled surgeon in the world for this repair and yet has a humble, caring, honest, and sincere manner...his staff is equally wonderful. There would be no one else that me and my family would trust with any member of my family's life...should another situation occur. We are truly blessed!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2015

I found Doctor Murphy after a little research. My GP heard an murmur in November, sent me to a Cardiologist who found that my Mitral valve was the issue and needed repair. I interviewed a couple of surgeons and was pleased with Dr. Murphy's straight forward answers to my (and my wife's) questions. Dr. Murphy performed my repair robotically at the end of February which, if you need open heart surgery, is definitely the way to go. I spent 4 days in the hospital and was given a clean bill of health at three weeks. No restrictions. Dr. Murphy and his staff, as well as the hospital staff, did an outstanding job. I would recommend them all in a heart beat. (Pardon the pun.) Stephen Maag, Woodstock, GA

flag | Submitted May 23, 2014

Dr. Douglas A. Murphy's Credentials

• University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine (Grad. 1975)

HealthFirst