Ratings for Dr. Ruth Hussmann

It is striking to see that a percentage of patients have had a wonderful experience with Dr Hussman, but with me she was moody and inconsistent - occasionally warm and attentive, and at other times disconnected (writing with her back to me), rushed and dismissive. Referrals were not always completed. I once had to ask her explicitly (2 x) to please stop writing and to make eye contact when I nervously wanted to speak with her about concerns about our previous appointment. I had asked to be on a more natural form of HRT and she was so against my using the medication in any form (study outcomes remain complex and ultimately one has to weigh risks against quality of life) that when she changed the type of HRT as requested, she actually cut the dose in half without telling me. (The dosage format was different so I had no idea.) I had consequently been struggling with severe insomnia and other symptoms, having been suddenly, unknowingly withdrawn from half of my medication, and only realized what had happened when soeaking with a pharmacist. I had also been distressed by her opinionated, lecturing attitude about the medication as I am accustomed to a more balanced, professional stance and she had not taken a moment to find out about the unusual severity of symptoms which led to my use of the medication in the first place - cutting me off as I attempted to relate these. It is one thing to inform patients of risk and another to dismiss symptoms which have had a serious impact on work and life, and 'sneaking' in a reduced dosage is unacceptable. I had been fortunate to have wonderful doctors in the past so I knew my expectations weren't unreasonable, and am grateful to be in a different practice with an attentive, consistent MD.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

I am presently looking for another GP. I am unable to get to see her when I'm sick and need help. The receptionist is rude and makes me feel belittled and suggested, when I couldn't get it to see the doctor when I was sick that I could go out at night and travel to North Toronto at night and see their after hours clinic when I had pneumonia. I finally went to a drop-in clinic in my neighbourhood!! Dr. Hussmann is a very reserved person and she now sits in front of a computer while talking to you distancing herself from you.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

Dr. Hussman is always running late by an hour or more and even if you book the first appointment of the day she is still late. She has made some errors with my health and isn't as knowledgeable as she should be. This office charges for photocopies and yearly fees and will harass you until you pay. The staff is also quite rude and I hate dealing with them just to make an appointment. If you need a physical be prepared to book one 4-5 month from the present date I am looking for another doctor.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2016

Dr Hussman is great so helpful and patient! Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the receptionist Carla. She is probably one of the worst receptionists ever. I normally do not write negative reviews, but today after 3 hours of calling to try to book an appointment with no answer or call back after leaving multiple voicemails I just had to. We've been going to Hussman for about 4 years now and have been going through the same thing with Carla each time we try to make an appointment, I cannot tell you how frustrating it is ! We're considering leaving Hussman just because of her which I would hate to do because he is such a great Doctor .

flag | Submitted June 23, 2016

I feel blessed to have an excellent, caring physician like Dr. Ruth Hussmann. She has been the GP to my spouse and I for about a decade and many of our friends are her patients as well. She was personally recommended to us by a colleague and we both remain deeply grateful for this stroke of good luck especially in a city where it’s almost impossible to get on the list for a regular GP, let alone one as human and loving as she. I feel cared for personally by Dr. Ruth and her practice is well covered by her collaborating physicians Dr Trambokoulos and Dr. Friedman when she is away. Dr. Ruth invariably finds time to fit me in if there is an urgent matter and this is very rare in my experience. For several years I have been dealing with a life-threatening disease and while I also see a specialist to whom she has referred me, Dr. Ruth has on her own initiative familiarized herself with the condition and its treatment options even though I am almost certainly her only affected patient - and she has done so such a degree so that I know that my long term personal health issues and this latest condition are all very well monitored and managed leaving no room for misdiagnosis or gaps in my treatment. On two occasions when dealing with difficult news, Dr. Ruth has spent up to an hour with me and my spouse personally helping us deal with the non medical emotional and practical implications of my diagnosis and processing it herself. From reading the other comments here which vary wildly, I surmise that the individuals who have expressed highly negative opinions, are in search of attention or validation and consequently feel slighted when non-serious health conditions do not receive (as they should not) attention disproportionate to their significance and these people must have a lot of time on their hands to complain on online blogs as a viciously and mean spirited way to voice their loneliness. All I know is that when I needed attention, she responded and followed up perfectly and quite contrary to the notion of the patient feeling personally responsible for managing their care (although I am ultimately), Dr. Ruth and her team even remind me to come in and to get tests done and every imaginable thing . She is, in my opinion, a deeply empathetic person possessing a very well –tuned sense of humour which I adore. I am very well looked after (other friends who are physicians have noted this to me) and I feel cared for both as a patient and as person. And while I don't ever recall observing extraordinarily long wait times, who doesn't expect to wait in a doctor’s office? That’s why it’s called the waiting room. If you are kept waiting for your appointment, it’s because someone else urgently requires more attention than you right now and you can be confident that when you need this attention, you will receive it. Having doctors provide drive through service upon demand is not possible in a managed health care system such as ours. You will find that the two receptionists in her practice are both friendly, professional and helpful if you engage with them Thank you Dr. Ruth, Elvie and Brenda. You guys are the best health care team imagieable and I am so lucky to be in your care.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016

Just an awful expirience every time I go. I have switched now

flag | Submitted February 4, 2015

She is very helpful, nice, and is always welcoming.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2014

I have been seeing Dr Hussman since she took over the practice. I agree that she is always late, but she never makes me feel rushed, she is always compassionate, professional and up to date with her medical knowledge. I am honoured to be her patient.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2014

Dr. Hussman has been my family doctor for about 10 years and also cares for my 2 year old. I find her very knowledgable, helpful and practical. She is always available to return a call if I have a question or concern about my child and she fits in last minute appointments if it's urgent. I feel very safe and well cared for with Dr. Hussman.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2013

Sad to learn that her long-time assistant has retired. The replacement is rude, not helpful and acts like a know-it-all. I quite like Dr. Hussman and have had great referrals from her, but if her 'gate keeper' continues to act in this manner, something needs to be done.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2012