Ratings for Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson

Dr Gwynn Patterson is a refreshing change from the regular doctors I see. She was friendly, funny, knowledgeable, and put me at east IMMEDIATELY when she walked through the door. She kept me waiting for only a short period, and when she came in, she apologized profusely for being late. Her staff is absolutely wonderful and very cooperative. I will recommend Dr Patterson to my family and friends. I decided to read some of the reviews before I submitted my review, and I am very confused. It's as though we met two completely different doctors on the negative reviews below.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2017

I made a comment on July 12, 2017 and got a response from the doctor on my post stating I might not be her patient. First of all after reading all the other reviews I was very careful to not specify any certain situations because the responses I saw from Dr Patterson were very defensive on her practice and was rude towards the people leaving the review. Also I wouldn't imagine she would remember anyways since she never knows why I am there or my name every time I have an appointment with her even though some of the times I saw her the following week. Seems as though she doesn't take criticism well. I have already called your office to cancel my next appointment because I have moved onto the Southern Arizona Midwives who seem more hospitable and friendly as well as answered my questions over the phone unlike Dr Patterson who was very rude when I asked her the same questions making me feel stupid. I have brushed off her attitude for over a year because I listen to my Doctors and respect them and their education but I just felt very uncomfortable in her office. I felt belittled. The comments regarding me not being her patient and pretty much stating I was writing a phoney review is untrue. I truly had an saddening experience and I am not the only one who has the same thoughts about this doctor. I have no serious issues that needed to be tended but I was concerned about my fertility and just needed some helpful advice/answers which Dr Patterson didn't help with. Like stated before, she really only saw me for a few minutes, didn't answer my questions and just keeps making me come back in for appointments where she doesn't even know why I am there! I am just frustrated, she didn't let me explain myself or help resolve any matter after a year so I am ready to move on. Speaking with others they have loved the Southern Arizona Midwives, especially my friend and her grandmother who previously went to Patterson's office and she was really disrespectful to my friend saying she needed her tattoo removed when she was doing an examination inside her then was rude to her grandmother when she was asking questions.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
I hope you get the care that you are looking for. You can sign a release form and we will send a copy of your record to your new provider. You do not have to come into the office to do this, unless you would like to. I am fine with that of course- whatever works for you. This would save you from having to repeat any testing. I wish you the best.

Submitted July 24, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Patterson for several years now. She is a no-nonsense doctor with a lot of knowledge. I find her easy to talk to, respectful and down to earth! She often adds a humorous flavor to our visits which always relaxes me when being examined. She's a doctor after all, not a comedian, so I think her added humor keeps our visits together light. I'm not a huge proponent of "bedside manner", I just want someone who listens and then provides the best treatment that her education and experience can provide!

flag | Submitted July 14, 2017

I am really disappointed with this doctor. I've been going for over a year now and I only stick with her since she's in town. The staff is kind, however the doctor is very rude, demeaning. Any questions I asked, her answers were very rude and half the time she never actually answered my question. I am very confused on this whole process and she has not been helpful with my concerns and she makes it to where I feel uncomfortable to ask any questions. I am not a specialist so I went to her for advice and she talks to me like I know what she is referring to and when I ask her to clarify, she clearly gets annoyed and treats me like I am stupid. When I asked a few people, they have had the same exact experience especially my friend and her older grandmother which Dr Patterson was really disrespectful and demeaning to them as well. Every appointment I feel like it takes Patterson several minutes to figure out who I am and why I am there even though I was there a couple days prior and I have been going there over a year and she loses my files. It took us many MANY appointments to figure out some type of solution or even inform me what is going on because she kept spacing out apts for no reason when other doctors would have done in one sitting. She would see me for no more then 10 min, rush me out, and try to have me come back when my schedule is already hectic enough. At one point I cried because I was in pain and she was just trying to rush me to get out and was annoyed because I wanted her to fix the issue like she was supposed to when I scheduled after promising she would the last appointment. She was really not a kind lady to me and I am very shy so I felt pushed around and felt like I had no voice, she expressed herself as very uncaring and made the whole situation confusing and uncomfortable. I heard the MidWives in town are a lot more helpful and caring so that may be my next step. I used to hear Dr Patterson was really kind and a good Christian lady, but I am not sure if her beauty practices have made her less motivated to do OBGYN work but this is not a comfortable location for women who are looking for reproductive advice or help.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
It saddens me that you were so unhappy with your experience. Usually, either I or one of my office staff can put a face to any posted review. However, in your case this is not so. Due to the anonymity and dishonest nature of this review, it makes me doubt if you have even been in my practice and what your motives are. If you think that this is a way to help another practice, you are mistaken. You will fare much better if you just do good honest work. In the small chance that you are my patient, I can only answer in very general terms here and would invite you to please contact my office so we can discuss your visit in more detail. Various issues are evaluated and treated in this office, ranging from infertility, urinary incontinence, pelvic pain, to serious infections and cancer. Also, patients often times have misconceptions about their issues and may think questions should be answered with a simple, yes or no, when that is not possible. Usually when a patient comes in with a new problem a complete history and physical is done. Patients then have a consultation in my office. At that time, I explain the findings of the initial evaluation and if any further testing needs to be done. Blood work is often ordered as well as other laboratory testing and radiographic imaging, if necessary. Very often, especially if patients are having pelvic pain or dysfunctional uterine bleeding, patients are instructed to come back for an endo vaginal ultrasound. For convenience purposes, I do in office vaginal ultrasound. Patients are not sent elsewhere for this. Some patients are used to having ultrasounds done at an x-ray facility so this may seem like an extra exam. Patients are instructed that at the time of the ultrasound, I am just doing the ultrasound without any consultation. I make that clear to every patient because the ultrasound will be correlated with all the lab work that's done. It can take several weeks for lab work to come back. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to get pap smears back, STD testing, and pathological report such as biopsies. Sometimes further testing is required with other appointments because of abnormal results. I can't possibly know this at the time of the first appointment. Most patients, after thorough evaluation and treatment, come back on a yearly basis for follow-up and maintenance. If Pap smears are abnormal, then a colposcopy may be done or patients may be asked to return for repeat test. If patients are having abnormal bleeding, then another procedure often is done which is called a hysteroscopy and usually a biopsy is done at that time as well. All these extra appointments cannot be done at the initial appointment. Further, on follow-up examination all this data must be reviewed. I go out of my way not to cause people pain. Although, some procedures can be painful, patients are offered nitrous oxide and anesthetic blocks are routinely placed for various procedures. This is extremely disappointing to me that you thought I purposely caused you pain. It is even more distressing that you thought I didn't care. Yes, my aesthetics practice is very rewarding and gratifying to many patients. However, I have many patients who are not interested in this at all and they are still very much valued. I hope that you will get the care that you need. I think it's fine if you seek a midwife. Midwives are trained in low risk obstetrics. As long as they practice within that mid-level scope, I absolutely, think the care can be acceptable. I make no apologies for my painstaking thoroughness and attention to detail. There are no shortcuts in medicine. My recommendation is that you listen to what the doctor is trying to tell you and explain to you. Ask questions. Don't be shy. Don't be apologetic. Don't assume that your question is "stupid". If there is something you do not like or do not understand, you should say so. If you really are one of my patients, then please call the office and set up an appointment so that I can answer your concerns and try to understand why you feel the way you do.

Submitted July 18, 2017

Dr. Gwynn Patterson was rude with zero bedside manners. Every single time she would ask me a question she would interrupt me in the middle of answering. She also corrected me in my answers a few times like I should know all of the medical jargon. If I knew what I was talking about then I wouldn't need to see a doctor. She made the entire exam quite uncomfortable and her rude manners made me angry. Unfortunately, I cry when I am angry and when I started crying in her office she literally told me to stop and became even more rude and impatient with me. Like I can just flip a switch and turn it off at will? Lady I wish I could, trust me. I made it clear to her that I was uncomfortable with doctors due to past experiences, but she made no effort to change my opinion of them. Yes, I realize not all doctors are bad, if I believed that then I would not have even made an appointment, let alone gone to it. She also told me that I need to start fasting... I think not. Everything I have read about fasting says it is not healthy. I went to her because she had such wonderful reviews, she was in my insurance network, and her website gives her the appearance of being a Christian. However, Dr. Gwynn Patterson will not see me on her patient list again, that is for sure. I have never left a doctors appointment more angry and disappointed. Trust me, if you knew my history with doctors then you would know that is saying something.I pray that future patients are not treated the way I was. See her at your own risk. The only good thing Dr. Patterson has is a very friendly secretary and nurse! Can't complain one bit about those two ladies.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
I am happy to hear that you had good things to say about my office staff and nurses, they are wonderful and I’m grateful for them. However, I am sorry that you perceived our encounter in such a way. As a doctor, I try very hard to give my patients my very best in a comfortable and respectful environment. I don't know what I could have done differently. I tried extremely hard to evaluate, treat you, and make you comfortable in every way possible. You have repeatedly stated that you hate doctors. You told me that to my face unabashedly as though it were my problem and not yours. I don't know what has happened to you in the past that has contributed to this attitude but I for one, was never able to overcome this palpable animosity. I would suggest that this attitude will not serve you well in the future with other providers. However, I wish you the very best. There are some blood tests especially certain hormonal blood tests that must be done fasting. This fasting is not detrimental to your health. It is not a long-term fast. It requires a one-time fast for a few hours after midnight. The blood work is done first thing in the morning, then you can eat again. Again, I tried my best to meet your needs and it saddens me that I was not able to accomplish this. I sincerely hope that you find the help that you are looking for.

Submitted May 18, 2017

I highly recommend Dr. Patterson and I wish I had known about her years ago. She is currently treating me for, what I was told by my urologist, a rare form of vulvitis. She knew all about this condition and even spoke to me over the phone before I saw her for the first time. She is extremely knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate. She spent a lot of time with me and was genuinely concerned about helping me. I've seen some of the other OB/GYN's in Sierra Vista and Dr. Patterson is, by far, the best of the best. Thank you, Dr. Patterson ever so much!!!

flag | Submitted April 17, 2017

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
Thank you for taking the time to write such an encouraging review. I hope you're feeling well very soon.

Submitted April 21, 2017

Have been seeing Dr Patterson for over 5 years for ob complications and lately for skin care and treatments. She is bright, forthright, talented and very trustworthy. Her office staff are very friendly and remember me on the phone and in person, making me feel very welcome. Every procedure Dr Patterson has performed for me has been done with care, compassion and great results with very minimal side effects from cryoablation to ipl. Dr Patterson is the best!

flag | Submitted December 15, 2016

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate the fact that you listen to medical advice and have a wonderful attitude. Thank you also for the comments about my staff. They represent me well.

Submitted December 16, 2016

I dealt with this doctor back in 2008. I was pregnant with baby #2. She continually gave me grief about my weight and was generally not very personable and far too critical. I'm now pregnant with baby #6 and am very knowledgeable when it comes to OBGYNs and know now that she is not a good one. At 32 weeks, I switched to Dr. Kacenga because I was so uncomfortable with her. He was SUCH a breath of fresh air, said nothing about my weight and was very kind and personable. When it came time to have the "big ultrasound" she stood in front of the ultrasound machine the entire time. She did tell me the gender of my baby, only as a courtesy because "that wasn't what these ultrasounds were for". I was shocked! Wait time was ALWAYS at least 2 hours. I've never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for an appointment with other doctors. The only redeeming quality was that her staff was nice. That's it! I would not recommend this doctor. I really hope that she reads these comments and takes them to heart, because she isn't doing her job compassionately and needs to change that.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
The fact that you bring this up after eight years, suggests to me that I hurt your feelings. I never meant to wound you in this way. I do not remember you, so I can only answer you in a very general way. I would also comment that memory is selective. I do not apologize for discussing the difficult issues such as obesity. I recognize that it is a sensitive subject, but that it can lead to serious medical conditions such as diabetes and hypertension. It can also lead to obesity later in life in the unborn child. I am very sure that you have learned much from your pregnancies. However, this does not make you an expert. Please listen to your doctors. They are only trying to help you.

Submitted December 9, 2016

I had Dr. Patterson for my first pregnancy and part of my second pregnancy before we moved away. She is very honest which I admire and she is very knowledgeable! I absolutely loved seeing her because she'd also always compliment me when she saw me and interacted with my daughter as well. I highly recommend her! We were sad to go!

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
Thank you for the encouraging words. It has been a privilege to know you and your family! You are such an amazing woman! Best of everything to you! We miss you.

Submitted August 5, 2016

She is the best OBGYN by far in the city of Sierra Vista, She is very accurate in her diagnosis from all of her years of Military and private practice experience and by using the latest technological advances. On a personal note I was one of her first patients in Sierra Vista over 20 years ago she is not only a great physician but a truly gifted and spiritual human being.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's response
Thank you. I am glad that I have been able to help you.

Submitted March 4, 2016

Dr. Gwynn R. Patterson's Credentials

• English

• George Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1980)

MSP/BC Med