Ratings for Dr. Gerry Heymans

Doctor Heymans has been my doctor since he first started in Russell many years ago , yes wait times are a bit long , he does have tenancy to dose off briefly at times , but he is very concerned about his patience well being , he is by a long shot one of the most caring ,kind hearted individuals i have ever met. Truly a wonderful doctor , did the best he could , unfortunately there was just not enough hours in the day for Doctor Gerry Heymays , All the best in your retirement , you 'll be missed.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2019

Great doctor! Very knowledgeable and compassionate person. Too many other responsibilities. You’ve worked very hard and deserve a rest! Happy retirement!

flag | Submitted August 12, 2018

Gerry was our family doctor. Like most people, he made some mistakes, nobody is perfect. He helped me through difficult times as well my child, mother, father, and grandmother. He worked too many hours a day for his whole life. His generosity and caring with people resulted in his being overused. He did not know how to cut a person off mid sentence, asked far too many questions about others in too caring a way, made it so he was stretched too thin. He did as well as could be expected given the situation he was in - in a small town where he went to school with some of his patients (very 'Little House on the Prairie' where everybody knows everybody), delivered babies of people he loved and cared for most of his life. I hope his retirement is complete and full / that he can have some peace of mind / sleep well and be rewarded for the job he did. I discharged the Dr of his responsibility to oversee me as a patient in 2009. It was a difficult experience for both of us. He had been my only doctor for 27 years up to that point. Subsequent to releasing him due to what I perceived to be something he had done wrong, I requested my file from his office. My request was not immediately forthcoming and I required to complain through Privacy to get it in full and paid $300 to get a copy. When I did get the information I had requested, I was ashamed of myself for questioning him or doubting him. I had requested he refer me to a psychiatrist. I discharged him due to what I thought was his lack of action to refer me after many months of repeated contacts, I just gave up as the referral never came. He never explained it to me. I thought he wasn't doing his 'job' and needed to move on. When I got my file, I saw he had done the referral after all. The psychiatrist had responded to him - told him that I was too crazy to take;he refused to see me. Dr. Heymans did not tell me. He spared my feelings as he knew I would be hurt if I knew the truth. He protected me from learning information and chose instead to take the blame for not doing a job I asked him to do - I asked afterward to return to his practice, he refused me. I was not angry or upset. I understood. Sometimes doctors have hard days too - although we want them to be a god and be able to fix everything, they also have trials and hurdles just like everybody else. Dr. Heymans did fall asleep a couple of times over the 27 years I cried on his shoulder. It made him human and I felt sorry for him he gave so much of himself to everybody that he had nothing left for himself.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2018

*HE IS RETIRING* He was the dr on duty for after hrs walk ins. Very strange and rushing, kinda in his own world, lots of muttering. Called my 3 yr old a nickname that wasn't his name (Jakey instead of Jacob) and went in to touch him quickly while he was showing signs of being unsure about this new person he'd never seen. Didn't like that. HE DID seem to know what he was talking about and was friendly, used his own kids as a reference "when I used this with my kids". Caring but odd.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

Dr. Heymans has been our family doctor for over 30yrs. Wonderful, caring Doctor.Very quick to follow up with tests and specialists when needed. Also wonderful receptionists and nurses.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2018

i've been seeing gerry since he worked from his house-has done nothing but the best for me

flag | Submitted November 30, 2017

He has been my family doctor for over 30 years. He treated both my parents with respect and dignity. I have always found him to be very knowledgeagle and caring. I do find that one of his staff in particular (receptionist) has a tenedency to be very curt and rude when I call for an appointment.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

Great Doctor. Please do not retire. Very knowledgeable and caring.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

Terrible doctor. Does all the talking & doesn't listen. Never reads reports in patient file from other doctors, surgeries, tests & is clueless when you get in his office. Overprescribes medications, prescribes wrong ones & is putting his patients at risk!! Please retire! 😡

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

I've been with Dr. Heymans since I was born and didn't have any issues with him until about a year ago when I visited him for anxiety and depression, he listened enough to confirm a diagnosis and prescribe a medication...but after that every appointment I had he ignored the fact that I believed he prescribed the wrong medication because it wasn't working and my symptoms were getting worse rather than better. He changed my meds after nearly a year of being on them but still refuses to make referrals to mental health professional to deal with the issues underlying

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017