Ratings for Dr. Hernan I. Vargas

Dr. Vargas is one of the most incredible doctors I have ever worked with. He is completely honest yet compassionate, he was a huge comfort before and after my surgery (which went extremely well with no complications.) I actually enjoy my visits. His PA, Mary, is also an incredible person. If you are seeking treatment for breast cancer or BRCA mutations look no further, this is the best team in NOVA.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

It's hard to believe the negative reviewer below actually saw the same person the rest of us have! (Though I suppose anyone can make a mistake, once...) Anyway, I've been a patient of Dr. Vargas through 3 surgeries (had breast cancer twice) and never had anything other than highly knowledgeable, extremely helpful, deeply compassionate treatment. The practice moved to a location that isn't so convenient for me, out Rte 66, but I can't imagine going anywhere else for my followup care.

Submitted April 13, 2016

I was very disappointed in this doctor. He wouldn't tell me what he thought my best option was, so my husband and I decided on surgery. At my pre-surgery appointment, he had changed his mind after apparently finally reading my records. Refused to do the surgery. Treated me like I was an imbecile. I went to a different doctor who was matter-of-fact and treated me with respect. Not this one.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

The one-star rater below is dead wrong. None of these reviews were written by Dr. Vargas's staff. I am a grateful patient of Dr. Vargas and he is everything the reviewers say. I am sorry for this person's experience but clearly she is an outlier.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2015

Probably the best doctor I have ever seen. Compassionate, never made me feel like there were any other patients waiting (and I was an add on), spent the time I needed and extremely keen on reading my nonverbal cues. He knew that I was terrified when I tried to hide it and he allowed me to cry and provides much needed consoling.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

These reviews must have been written by the doctor's staff. He and his staff try to blame every pain, inflammation, and adhesion on the patient, "must be an allergy or virus” or “you must be touching yourself”. They only care if a patient's fever is over 102.5. Post surgery, they find it satisfactory if the patient is eating and swallowing. You cannot rely on what this doctor says. He is careless, and misinforms the patient about key aspects of the surgical procedure. The staff and Dr. Vargas only function at a superficial level. They do not like to be questioned when something goes wrong, and do not provide the medical advice that a competent surgical nurse would provide.

Submitted May 25, 2015

Everyone should have a Dr. Vargas in their life! He's very much like the wonderful TV favorite, Dr. Marcus Welby, but Dr. Vargas is REAL. I do believe he is all things to all people. A nurse at Life With Cancer said that nobody likes Dr. Vargas--instead everyone simply LOVES him--me included. He has been my surgeon as well as my friends' surgeon. We would never go thru breast cancer surgery without him and his team. From the moment l met him, l knew he would be my doctor. I needed no second opinion. He is gentle, kind, sensitive, trustworthy, informative, thorough, knowledgeable, skilled, and he believes in a covenant relationship with his patients. He wants you to feel comfortable with the entire process, and allows you the time needed to ask questions and process the information. He is an AMAZING person, an INCREDIBLE surgeon, and one with God's healing hands and COMPASSIONATE heart. You can be in no better hands than with Dr. Vargas. And his highly trained staff is as amazing and loving as he is. You can't go wrong with this complete package. Consider it a deal made in Heaven. Thank you, my dear team. So very grateful, Mame.♥

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

highly recommended....very good with patient. took time to explain all details. took a real interest in the welfare and concerns of the illness and treatment. Would recommend to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2015

If you have been told you need a breast surgeon, SEE THIS DOCTOR. This is not merely an extraordinarily competent surgeon, who leaves scars that other highly experienced observers (my prosthesis fitter, who's been seeing breast scars for 25 years) deem "the work of an artist" - not merely a careful, considerate surgeon who takes the time and care to do small procedures with maximum gentleness (removing JP drains SLOWLY!! or performing biopsies without hurting you). More than a merely excellent and careful surgeon, this is an extraordinary human being. He never makes you feel rushed, never seems to have one foot out the door. His entire focus is on you. He delivers information and answers your questions without sugarcoating, yet manages to be supportive and encouraging throughout. Seeing Dr. Vargas is kind of like being with a priest confessor- it feels like he's engaged, not in a lucrative profession, but in a sacred calling. He helps you heal in more ways than I can describe here. I am forever grateful to have been referred to him. I would send every woman with breast cancer to him, if I could.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2014

Working in healthcare profession my self for several years, I needed to seek Dr. Vargas,s expertise. I had experienced several times myself that how patients can get confused and lost in the process of finding the right physician and the correct and best cure for their illness, and the cure and care itself. Making myself prepared for the challenges, I went to seek his expertise. And surprisingly, I found him not only very knowledgeable and experienced, but a physician that can combine those with love and kindness and passion toward his patient. He exceed the the expectations of excellency and set the bar so unreachable for others in this profession. He made me , want to be a better person and more compassionate. Dr. Vargas, it is an honor to be your patient. I feel safe under your care, and trust you very much. Thank you for doing what you are doing and how you are doing it. God bless you.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2014

Dr. Hernan I. Vargas's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Univ Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Prog Acad De Med, Lima, Peru (Grad. 1986)

AARP