Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Hernan I. Vargas

I was blessed when referred to Dr. Vargas, clearly he is the best in his field in every aspect. There is much I could say but will try to simply sum up my experience. He is knowledgeable, takes time to make sure you understand the details, will answer all your questions and connect you with those in VCS you need to get all the information from wrt post surgery treatment options. He is very personable and compassionate, its truly obvious that he cares for all his patients. You can call him if you have questions, concerns or fears....if busy at that moment, he will call you back soonest. I just want to hug him every time I see him for such good care I received, he is a highly skilled surgeon. Dr. Vargas leads an awesome team who are all very efficient and caring as well - top notch.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2019

Dr. Vargas is the most compassionate, caring, knowledgeable and thoughtful doctor I have ever met. I believe he was put on this earth to do exactly what he does. Dr. Vargas, Mary, Miranda and the entire staff care about you and make you know that. After my first appointment with him I knew he was going to take care of me. He always explained ever detail to me prior to and after my surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Vargas, he is the BEST!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2019

This is the Dr that you need to see for Breast Cancer. He’s very kind and patient and is an excellent surgeon. He is absolutely the best ! Being his patient and under his care and the care of his team will make your journey much easier.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2019

I could not have prayed for a more professional, caring, and knowledgeable surgeon and medical team. Every moment, from original meeting to post surgery follow-up, was a caring, professional experience. I would recommend Dr. Vargas and his team without the slightest reservation. I am grateful to all and wish them continued success in future.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2019

I think Dr. Vargas is a brilliant and talented surgeon with a bedside manner second to none. In our initial meeting he went over the details of my diagnosis ,explained what it was, what it wasn't and what the path forward from there would be. Before and following the surgery Mary Zempolich was involved in all the details and was also a crutch for me to lean on throughout the whole treatment process. I would recommend Dr. Vargas and his team without any reservations at all. Thanks to all. Mary Lyn Hatcher

flag | Submitted September 19, 2019

Dr. Hernan I. Vargas's response
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience! We are so glad that our Dr. Vargas and his team was able to provide you compassionate care and service. It means so much to hear from our patients and to know that we have made a difference for you.

Submitted October 2, 2019

Exceptional bedside manner. Very soft-spoken and exudes concern, while wanting you to fee comfortable talking to him about your concerns. Did not appear rushed and willing to spend as much time as necessary to listen and address your concerns.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2019

Dr. Hernan I. Vargas's response
We are so pleased to hear about your experience with Dr. Vargas and his team. Here at Virginia Cancer Specialists, our patients are our first priority. Please let us know if we can be of further support as you continue your healthcare journey.

Submitted October 2, 2019

His years of practice and his knowledge of medicine help him make the right decisions without unnecessary procedures or cost. He is the best in his field!

Dr. Hernan I. Vargas's response
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience! We are so glad that Dr. Vargas and his team was able to provide you compassionate care and service. It means so much to hear from our patients and to know that we have made a difference for you.

Submitted October 2, 2019

I would recommend Dr. Vargas to friends and family in a heartbeat. Dr. Vargas came highly recommended to me. His highly experienced staff was able to rapidly to get me an appointment. I was with my husband when I first met Dr. Vargas. We were still shocked by the news of my cancer diagnosis and I, personally was scared, shattered and completely overwhelmed by the amount of information about cancer diagnoses that I’d been studying like I was cramming for an exam. Dr. Vargas patiently listened to my experiences leading up to my diagnosis. He wiped my tears and comforted me when I broke down during our consultation. He took the time to carefully explain every treatment scenario related to my specific case. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Vargas’ understanding of my diagnosis. He gave clear information about the clinical testing and treatment options, and he wrote it down for us to keep. He answered all of our questions leading up to and after my surgery. We were never made to feel rushed. Dr. Vargas, Mary Zempolish and his outstanding staff (Miranda, Theresa, Becky, …) have been extremely responsive to my emailed and telephoned questions whenever I contact his office. Overall, we think Dr. Vargas and his team may simply be the best in this field.

Submitted October 2, 2019

Dr. Vargas and his staff cares about you and make sure to let you know how special you are. You are not just a number but a person and they demonstrate great compassion to their patients. I have never felt so welcomed and loved. Dr. Vargas is one of a kind. May God continue to bless him.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2019

Dr. Vargas, Mary Zempolich and their entire staff are wonderful. I have highly recommended this practice to my friends. On my initial visit 2 1/2 years ago, a friend was with me. She met Dr. Vargas and told me if she ever needed this type of medicine, she would definitely come to him. As it turned out, she brought her mother-in-law. Dr. Vargas and Mary Zempolich truly care about their patients' well being. I cannot say enough positive things about them.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2019

Dr. Hernan I. Vargas's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Primary Location: Virginia Cancer Specialists, Fair Oaks Office Position: Breast Surgeon Board Certification American Board of Surgery Fellowship Surgical Oncology National Cancer Institute (NCI) at The National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, MD Residency General Surgery Harbor-UCLA Medical Center at UCLA School of Medicine, Chief Resident in General Surgery at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Medical School “Alberto Hurtado” School of Medicine Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima-Peru Dr. Hernan Vargas believes in a covenant relationship with each patient and family. His goal is to provide the highest quality patient-centered care within a multidisciplinary group of like-minded individuals that results in a personalized treatment plan for each patient the team is privileged to serve. Dr. Vargas joins Virginia Cancer Specialists with over 20 years of experience in the care of women with breast cancer and benign conditions of the breast. Before joining VCS, Dr. Vargas served as Associate Professor of Surgery at UCLA; he has been Director of the Breast Programs at Harbor-UCLA, in Los Angeles, California and at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital, in Fairfax, Virginia. He has contributed to the development of new surgical techniques in breast cancer care being the author of more than 100 scientific publications. In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Vargas has lectured nationally and internationally. He is the recipient of several awards for leadership and teaching excellence. Dr. Vargas has been recognized as a “Top Doctor” in breast surgery by Washingtonian Magazine, LA Magazine and Castle-Connoly’s America’s Top Doctors for Cancer . In his leisure time, Dr. Vargas enjoys family life with his wife and son and many relatives in the area. He is a former Ironman triathlete; he enjoys reading, cooking, and learning languages and music.

• Univ Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Prog Acad De Med, Lima, Peru (Grad. 1986)

• Breast cancer
  • Breast cysts
  • Breast reconstruction with flap surgery

HIP