Ratings for Dr. Gregory Polyakov

His examination may be described as "violent". Suggestion was immediately to move to a major surgery rather than more thoughtful assessment of options.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

Beware of this surgeon. He can do good work depending on the procedure but he's far too eager to do what may be unnecessary and drastic surgery. For instance: his solution to a suspicious polyp in my large bowel was to remove the entire colon. This is a drastic and quality of life altering procedure. (Even my GP was against removing the entire large bowel when she heard this. ) I went for a second opinion with a GI who removed the polyp Polyakov could not get out. If you are unsure about what seems to be a major surgery proposed by this doc, get a second opinion. I should add that he's very personable until you disagree with him. Then, well, not so much. His staff are a bit stern but OK, and he's generally on time.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

He perform a lapascropic surgery on my brother, pulled the whole vile duct and cut twice in beween the gallbladder. Rushed to emergency, doctors here in Victoria general can hardly describe what was done, they said it was a bloody mess inside his abdominal area with vile all over. This doctor is experimenting surgeries he is not trained for. To get a properly done surgery from this doctor is like winning the lottery. With all the bad scary reviews I had just read here, I am surprised why he is still repeatedly doing what is doing. I think those good reviews are just fake one made by his relatives and friends. This should not happen in country like Canada. A very simple procedure going wrong in a high tech country like Canada, even in the third world this never happen. All of us who got a problem with this doctor should group up and get a complain to the college of surgeon, to kick him out. We will sue him for sure.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2016

Very nice doctor. Spend the time to explain and help . Very good with patients and families. He was highly recommended by nurses in Mount Saint Joseph hospital.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2016

Hate him. He's no good. Got MRSA From a hernia operation

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

Very straight forward Doctor , not too much for bedside manners but if you can overlook that his skills are top notch. I had my gallbladder removed Aug /2016 with minimal downtime , yes i was sore for the first week but didn't need any pain meds . I now 2 weeks later am able to eat anything and everything just like before this procedure. His skills are top notch , overlook the bedside manners because hes straight to the point without sugar coating anything .

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

I had laparoscopic gallbladder removal in March 2016 at delta hospital. I had extreme pain immediately after the procedure and for the next several days that was not relieved with painkillers. Went back to delta hospital emergency department on 3 separate occasions and was told nothing was wrong. Was unable to get a hold of Dr polyakov in the mean time. Went back to his office 2 weeks later and he was shocked with my condition. I was expedited to St Paul's hospital on an emergency basis and then rushed to VGH. I ended up having 4 open abdomen surgeries needlessly all because he knicked an artery and didn't do the procedure properly. I spent a month in VGH ICU and am still trying to recover 5 months later. I would never recommend this surgeon to anyone or have him operate on my family even if their life depended on it!!!

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

I would not recommend this doctor. I had a pretty common procedure done by this doctor, but ended up having another emergency surgery by another surgeon due to excessive bleeding. I am a heath care provider, and did not do any activities to compromise the procedure. He was also not interested in providing enough information. I believe that he does a very poor job, and I will never go back to see him.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2016

Had a hernia that failed immediately. He didn't order a CT scan at the follow up or anything afterwards despite me pulling my jeans down and showing him a huge mass (a large hernia was still obviously there). He calmly told me to lie down. I'm thinking, now this is getting strange. Did the cough impulse test lying down (so the obviously still unrepaired hernia would slightly reduce?). Said it was fine, see you in 6 months, and walked out. I absolutely could not believe what was happening-was likely in a mild state of shock. Waited a few days, then walked into a clinic and ordered them to give me a CT scan. The results showed a hernia. There was also zero, I mean zero bruising in the genitals or testicles-not one blotch. I'm not gonna go out and say what I think happened cause what I think doesn't matter, does it? Afterall hernias can fail immediately for various reasons and how could you prove it wasn't done competently. But I'm telling you I walked in the office post-surgery with a large mass and it was the feel of the pre-surgery hernia. Make up your own mind.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2016

Can do good work but beware of unnecessary surgery. This doctor would have taken out my entire large bowel if I hadn't asked him to reconsider. He didn't like being second-guessed but sent me to a specialist who removed the polyp successfully. Polyakov would have changed my quality of life drastically and did not seem in the least concerned about the ramifications. Like I said, beware of a surgery you may not need.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016