Ratings for Dr. Norman Pinsky

I had along with my wife and children Dr. Norm Pinsky for over 16 years before he left for australia, which was a sad day for my family and myself but for all the years he was my Familys doctor he treated us great and have nothing but good things to say about him as a profesional. If I trusted my childrens and wifes life in his hands for all those years I must have been more than pleased, I could have and would have changed doctors at any time. But if your there just too seek narcs you better go else but if they are needed he will prescribe them like he did for me then sent me too a pain specialists. Mike Lefort

flag | Submitted July 26, 2014

My family was about to be torn apart because of my sons undiagnosed 'depression'. Dr Pinsky gave us his time - a double appointment, and asked a multitude of questions to find out what was really going on. He treated my son with absolute respect, valuing him as his own person, assured him that there was nothing 'wrong' with him, but that 5-10% of teens have depression at sometime in their teen years and that it is very treatable. That its not his fault, its just an illness he has due to his circumstances, but that he can get control of it with out medication if he wishes. He then referred us to a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy clinic, told us it may take a few months but that in the mean time if he needs to talk, to call him. He took us seriously, made us feel like there was a way out of this, and my son walked out of that surgery more happy and alive than I had seen him in 4 months! So glad hes in Secret Harbour WA now. 15 minutes away from me.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2009

I went to him at a walk-in clinic and he actually called me back with the test results on a holiday. He was compassionate and thorough. Better than my own doctor at the time.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2008

Dr. Pinsky has been our family doctor, for over 20 yrs. He has treated my parents, myself and my siblings, and now our children. I can not recommend him for mental health such as ADD, etc. He is just not knowledgeable in those areas. I *can* recommend him for men's health. He is a decent pediatrician. he is the only doctor I have ever heard of who will call you personally at home after seeing you if you are quite ill, to see how you are. He has been fantastic with my father. I have always found him to be professional. Somewhat dismissive at times. I think when he was practicing on Dutch Village Rd, in the smaller older office, he was much better, than the present time in the Halifax Shopping center. Times have changed.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2008

1999 to 2oo2 I went to his clinic several times ,bowel and urine problems,urinating 3 and 4 times a night.I wanted a colonoscopy because my mothers cancer specialest suggested we all be scoped,all my younger siblings were checked and fine.This incompetent quack said I was too. young to have prostate or colon problems.He actually said that everything was my imagination.This guy is the second most incompetent doc I have seen.I was 47 years old then.The funny thing is another fennwick doctor in 1991 misdiagnosed a broken neck I had.He told me my muscles were not getting rid of the carbon dioxide.I met a great specialist and survived.Now I am seeing another x Fennwick and having the same problem.The prostate and bowel.I hope it is not to late for me.Be very carefull with incompetent doctors

flag | Submitted February 28, 2008

I wish there was a way to give a lower rating. I read the comments about the woman with the child with bronchiolitis. My son was 3 months old when I took him to this 'doctor' twice a week because people told me his breathing wasn't right. Dr. P kept sending him back home - told me I was a new mother, and the baby was fine. After 4 visits to Dr. P, my son was rushed to Emerge and put in an oxygen tent for 4 days, in critical condition. He had contacted the RSV virus and Dr. P just dismissed it as me being a neurotic, over-worried new mother. The IWK told me to get follow up, because they felt my baby had asthma. I repeatedly asked Dr. P for a referral for ongoing care, finally he agreed to send him for a consult. The IWK called me with a date of over 8 months away. I begged for an appt which they gave me right away. The referral Dr. P wrote said he was only doing it for the mother's peace of mind. The IWK diagnosed my son with severe asthma and referred him to a pediatrian.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2008

Dr. Pinsky has been my family doctor for over twenty years. He has always acted in very professional manner and has been quick to send me to a specialist if he was unsure of the appropriate treatment. I have always been able to get an appointment quickly if necessary and have always been told if the treatment he prescribed wasn't working out to be come back. I have never felt he dismissed any of my concerns as some of these raters say. He is not quick to hand out pills so if that is what these patients are looking for they would probably be dissappointed. However, I am always very glad if I can leave the office with professioanl advise and no prescription.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2007

Dr. Norman Pinsky is a nightmare! I'm happy to hear that he is moving to Australia...as I know people that still go to him and therefore, they will have no choice but to find another GP!! He was my GP 21 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. At my six week exam he told me to bend over the exam table and take down my pants so that he could examine me. I was 21, first baby, what did I know?? but my gut told me this was wrong!! My son had issues with his eye, which I brought to Norman's attention, and he told me that was how baby's eyes are! My son then experienced bronchiolitis, but at the time of taking him to Norman, I was told to take him home and give him Tylenol. We ended up at the IWK emergency dept. with my 5 month old son's chest collapsing. He was diagnosed with bronchiolitis and hospitalized for 3 days. 18 months later it was determined that my son was legally blind in his left eye! Due to delivery?? He was TOLD to leave my delivery room by the anethetist!!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2007

Dr. Pinsky has been my Family Doc for 16 years along with my wife and children as they came along. He is not a pill pusher I agree if you want that see someone else. In the past couple of years I've had a serious back ailment so he sent me too a nerosurgeon that would not operate because i'm a little younger, and feels surgery is not the best option for now. So instead of just giving me stong narcotics for pain DR.P sent me too a pain management Dr. who suggested the proper pain meds. for me. Dr. P is a very compasionate Dr. and very caring for me and my family. He may take a little slower route to really get to the problem but he wants to make sure that the very best is done for his pat.. But yes he does write pain perscriptions but not for anyone for any reason, he thinks of the best for each individual. Also he does not rush through his appts. He has talked to me numerous times at length for different medical and fam. purposes. He is very caring he will be Sadly missed by my Family.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2007

These very negative comments for Dr. Pinsky on this site are extremely unfair. Some of these whiners should consider themselves lucky that this doctor does not give in to every demand for an addictive sleeping pill or pain killer. I am grateful to have Dr Pinsky as my physician and know that he acts in the best interest of the patient and this sometimes means not prestribing drugs. I am truly sorry that he is leaving Nova Scotia. He is a dedicated professional who will be missed.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2007