Ratings for Dr. Vincy Yam

I was a patient of Dr. Vincy Yam for about 12 years. I have a chronic condition and had to see Dr Yam frequently and often had to see her without waiting a week for an appointment. Dr. Yam was always thorough, very encouraging and reassuring and never made me feel like I was taking up too much of her time. If I had an emergency, she always made time for me and I always felt I was in very knowledgeable and competent hands. I moved out of Alberta and have had to find a new doctor. I have not yet found someone as caring or as thorough as Dr. Yam.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2018

When I first started seeing Dr. Yam, she was proactive and you felt taken care of. Not sure what changed over the years, now the visits are perfunctory, you are kept waiting, the emphasis is on tests and I had an instance of delayed treatment because she didn't physically check me or her own historical notes when I mentioned symptoms. Ishe lost all my trust when I caught her lying to me.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

Since moving to the new location, and with new staff, things have gotten bad. Appointments are late, and Dr. Yam seems moody and always impatient. She doesn't listen to new symptoms, just keeps writing the same prescriptions and making threats if you don't improve yourself. Not happy.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2018

I have been seeing Dr. Yam for many years. I have always felt cared about. She is knowledgeable, and is always willing to listen to my needs. Sylvia is amazing and always helpful with my questions and with getting me in to see Dr. Yam.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

Dr. Vincy Yam is a fabulous doctor and I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

I've been seeing Dr. Yam for years she is very thorough and attentive. I would recommend her to anyone best doctor ever.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

Dr Yam is nice and seemingly attentive but does not seem to have adequate knowledge or experience. I continuously walk out of the office with no definite diagnosis on symptoms that come up.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

I also agree with the person's comment of Oct 27,2012. Dr Yam does make you feel like you are wasting her time. Five years ago I was in a car accident I called her office and was told that she could not see me and to go to a Physiotherapists. I was bruised all over, the therapists wanted to know why I was there and not at the doctors. I made an appointment for the next day to see Dr Yam and when I did see her she didn't exam my injures at all, let alone touch me. she stood back like I had some sort of contagious disease. After months of going back to her consistently telling her that the pains I had were not going away. She kept telling me it was in my head and I was a consent complainer. Finally 2 years after she would send me to these places that they either wondered what I was doing there or they couldn't help me as no MRI's were done so finally she sent me to a doctor who in short could not believe no MRI was ever done . After further testing from this other doctor it was discovered that I had injured 3 discs and my SA joint in the accident. 5 years after the accident my new doctor took care of my knee injury , it was discovered by MRI that the meniscus in my knee is torn which according to Dr Yam there was nothing wrong with it. What kind of doctor lets someone walk around in pain for 5 years and just tells them its in their head and to quit complaining. All she is good for is if you are having a baby

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

I do not understand all of the positvd reviews of Dr. Yam. Every time I went, over a period of many years, she made me feel like I was wasting her time. Also, if you end up sick and need to see her there is up to a week wait and they tell you to go to a walk in clinic if you need to be seen sooner. Also, she is very reluctant to refer you to a specialist, but she also doesn't want to treat the condition herself. Especially if it is a chronic condition. It seems like her attitude is "well i could treat this, but after treatment you are still going to have X conditon even though you will feel better, so there is really no point". I suppose the only good thing about her is that she isn't quick to hr prescription pad. In fact, she rarely uses. "Could your write me a new script for my asthma inhaler because mine expired?" Dr Yam "you know, I could but I don't really like writing scripts for these. They can be addictive you know". Yes, it's true Dr, I am addicted to breathing.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2012

I have seen Dr. Yam for a few years. She is thorough in investigating obvious physical signs such as those shown in blood tests, however, I have fibroymyalgia diagnosed by a couple of doctors and specialists. She is either unfamiliar with this legitimate chronic illness or has no empathy for patients suffering from this dibilitating condition. I feel like she has a 'blame the victim' attitude towards me, and I get the feeling she does not believe me. Unfortunately doctors familiar with this condition are swamped and not taking new patients. Appointments are well timed and she does not overbook so there is not much waiting which is great. Her location is easy to drive to, not convenient to bussing. I also find going to the office to pick up forms for specialist appointments is inconsiderate of my time and inconvenient.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2012