Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ocana

Dr Ocana literally changed my life when diagnose me with Adult ADD help me find the right combo of medications (and it was NOT simple!!) and ALWAYS open to my feedback and thoughts. never an issues with refills and always willing to talk. I wish there were more doctors like that around an asset to this industry . THANK YOU

flag | Submitted April 14, 2018

I had 5 appointments with Dr. Ocana during which I was diagnosed ADHD. Each appointment lasted 30 minutes. He provided me description of the whole process in advance and answered my questions as we were going. The way diagnosis is made and the way he runs meetings seem reasonable to me. He gave me prescription for ADD medication and recommended to attend counsellor. Although I was more or less sure that I had ADD before I started working with him, it is good to receive professional assessment and I would recommend him to anyone who needs the same.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2018

This doctor assumes that every patient that steps into his door is a drug addict fiend. He’s a very judgemental, narcissistic person. He showed a very poor attitude In addition, his processes are out-dated and unaccomodating. It’s his way or the high-way. There is no working with the patient. If you are unable to answer a question on the spot for example you are considered “difficult”. Clearly this doctor isn’t educated or aware enough to recognize people have different skill levels and communicate better in different forms. He’s an old doctor that needs to retire. He’s out-dated, incompetence, ignorant jack_ _ _. He thinks because he’s created a speciality for himself that differentiates himself from other doctors. Well unfortunately due to many of his shortfalls he’s really no better then a doctor in a third world country who claims he/she is #1 too. You’re better off seeking help from your general family doctors and testing medication with them as Dr. Ocana also uses you as a guinea pig with a mix of his top favourites until “something works”, as he puts it.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2018

We took our son to see Dr. Ocana with the hope that his "credentials" would really help him. We went in with him on the first out of five appointments. We found him extremely arrogant, but yet wanted to give him an opportunity to prove us wrong. Even though my son didn't like him and din't feel comfortable with him, we insisted that he could get the help he needed. Dr. Ocana indicated that on the second, third and fourth appointments our son would have to go in on his own. But on the three occasions he was 15-20 minutes late and the appointments only lasted about 10 minutes each. Those appointments were supposed to give him the whole picture for a proper assessment and respective treatment. On the fifth session we went in with him, and to our surprise, he started asking questions again, like if he never spent time with him before. And at $150 per session, we felt like a complete waste of time and money. $150 for a 10-minute session??? Oh wait, perhaps I was also paying for the time we had to wait every single session? To make matters worse, during those questions, after our son responded to each of them, Dr. Ocana kept pushing him to evaluate himself worse than what he felt, all in order to "justify" prescribing a medication. Last, but not least, he said he was all right with our son taking certain "substances" once a week, when the original goal was to completely stop their use. With that sort of "permission" from Dr. Ocana, our son felt it was OK to continue using the substance. This is the first time I hear someone dealing with addictions that "once a week" is OK. As far as I know from all the research I've done, if you want to stop an addiction you have to quit 100%. What a shame, now we're not even back to square 1, but even worse... This guy should not be allowed to practice, period!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2018

Dr. Ocana has made a drastic impact on my life. I first met with him while in my first year at University and I was struggling to say the least. I've always had trouble with school and never seemed to be functioning at the same capacity as others around me. I was also having having problems with the law and making poor decisions at the time. Dr. Ocana helped explain the role ADHD can have on impulsive behavior. He also assisted and supported me throughout the various court hearings. Once prescribed, school become less overwhelming and my attendance increased and grades began to improve. Since diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Vyvanse my life no longer seems unmanageable. I'm able to think clearly and take the necessary steps to be effective everyday. I now feel solid, stable and able to tackle challenges that used to feel insurmountable. I started a job in 2013 working in a warehouse moving boxes. I'm still with the same company over 4 years later and have since moved up the ranks to the office and am now one of the top sales/design consultants in the company. I could not have made these positive changes without Dr. Ocana. His expertise and knowledge has guided me in the right direction and provided solutions I never could have overcome alone. I am extremely grateful for his influence on my life.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

I am weighing in on Dr. Ocana with over two decades of healing under my belt, and I sincerely hope this post will be read by those who need to read it the most:) I just walked into Dr. Ocana’s office today, without an appointment, to ask if I might speak with him for 5 minutes (for the record, his office staff were kind, gentle, and welcoming, and because he ran his previous appointment on time, I was able to see him during his 15-minute break, which he was kind enough to devote to a conversation with someone he hadn’t seen or heard from in a long time). Until today, I hadn’t seen Dr. Ocana in over 20 years, yet I have thought of him often. It was about 20 years ago that I walked into his clinic on Broadway, and he saw me for several appointments, over a period of a several months. If I were to record the details of these appointments, this review would turn into a long article - or perhaps even a short book. What I will say here is that Dr. Ocana was the catalyst in helping me truly and fully recover from a very serious addiction, and because of his commitment, care, intuition, and mindful attention during our appointments, I was able to set myself forth on a path that has allowed me to be able to live a rich, energetic, and fully-engaged life for the last 20 years (while of course navigating all of life’s inevitable challenges, difficulties, and disappointments:). Had I not seen Dr. Ocana, I would not have been able to set out on this path of deep healing. Back then, I saw and felt how passionate Dr. Ocana was about helping to heal people, and I don’t doubt he has helped hundreds - if not thousands - of people heal over the years. I have thought about him many times over the years, and even now, some of the prompts and phrases he used with me are assisting me in helping my own students on their healing journeys. I would recommend Dr. Ocana, without reservation, to anyone, as I am living proof that he is a deeply committed, intuitive, and knowledgeable doctor. If I personally heard the feedback that his personality wasn’t endearing to one of his patients, I would encourage them to have patience with the process. If I met anyone who said he was only interested in earning money, I would wholeheartedly disagree. I first saw this man when he was branching out into the Vancouver medical community, attempting to create a much more holistic model of healing, which not many doctors were doing at that time. Since then, I have seen several doctors, from various disciplines, attempt to set up similar models. Needless to say, most of them have burned out and quit - but not Dr. Ocana. Despite what I know would have included a tremendous amount of difficulties and setbacks over the past 20+ years, Dr. Ocana has persevered, and he is clearly doing what he cares about the most: helping to heal those who are serious about their own healing . Any doctor who has remained this committed to their profession and to their higher life purpose over multipe decades would automatically have my respect. Because of Dr. Ocana’s compassion and commitment toward me as his patient 20 years ago, he will always remain in my heart as the first medical professional who finally listened, and who saw my potential, my beauty, and my wisdom when I felt like no other medical professional could or would. Again, to go into all the details here would result in an inappropriately long post, so I will leave it at that...with deep gratitude...

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

When I first went to see Dr Ocana for ADHD and a substance abuse problem 2 years ago I was a mess. With his help I’ve turned EVERYTHING around. I’m no longer abusing ANY drug or alcohol and Ive been promoted to manager at work. The first year was difficult as I had to find the right combination of medication that worked best for me. Now that I have, my self esteem and confidence have improved immensely. I’m so glad I didn’t toss in the towel because it does get tougher before it gets better, but now looking back, if I hadn’t stuck with it, I’m scared to think about where I’d be. Kat, his receptionist has been very helpful. Whenever I need a prescription refilled quickly, she always gets it done that day. I can’t recommend Dr Ocana enough. He has genuinely changed my life.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

Bad experience and damaging effect from 'treatment' received from his Anthony Ocana. Arrogant and over prescribes medications. Moved to Calgary and found help.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2017

I have just finished my 6 sessions with Dr Ocana and I would like to complement him on his professional approach to the sessions so far. I have heard and read from some that he is "cold" and “dismissive” to clients. In this regard, I think people need to be aware of the number of patients Dr Ocana has to assess. You are there to get an assessment, not to make friends or be comforted - that is what family and therapists are for. What’s more, the correct diagnosis of ADHD is particularly important given the stigma and controversy associated with the disorder and I believe the method he uses: a number of sessions per week over a 5 to 6-week period, allows him to make an assessment over a period of time. I think people need to also remember that the medication that is used to treat ADHD is controversial in some quarters; these are serious drugs and can be misused and abused quite easily. Not only is he assessing whether a patient has the condition or not, but he also needs to decide whether the individual will use the medication the way it is intended. Comorbidity is also an important part of the diagnosis; in my case, how is clinical depression and anxiety related to my ADHD, and is one related to the other? My sessions with Dr Ocana were systematic and efficient, which is exactly what I was after. The medication I was prescribed has helped significantly with some of the major symptoms I have been struggling with for most of my life. While I have not been cured of these condition(s), I am now in a better position to address them. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

I just finished my 5 sessions with Dr.Ocana and I can not say enough about the effect he has had on my life! Some of the comments I have read on here seem to suggest that he be held to and almost inhuman standard - I feel people need to remember he is after all a human being trying to do a very difficult job. No good deed goes unpunished - I have found that, in my experience, with amazing Doctors that are at the top of their professions, who are also trying very hard to help as many people as humanly possible, that they tend to be judged on their "waiting list", "punctuality" and very full schedule. You can not have it both ways. Enough said about that - Dr. Ocana has helped me in every area of my life. The first several visits were all about my history - not always pleasant for me - but necessary for him to make a correct assessment of me, which he did. I found him to be personable and professional and to be very caring - this man truly cares about what he is doing and helping people. I would highly recomenend him to anyone I care about. He is worth the wait time!

flag | Submitted September 16, 2017