Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ocana

This man saved my life , does it get any better than that !

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

Hi. This is Dr. Ocana. I felt I had to respond to put some things in perspective. What I do is hard. It takes a lot of effort to get it right. I know its not pleasant for the patient to be assessed question after question, being picked apart and only being asked about the bad stuff. I've done this thousand of times, so it can be a bit of a machine and I may seem detached and uncaring. I'm sorry about that. I care. lots, it's just hard to get to all done in 30 min. My assessments are long and very detailed. They span 5 visits. That is a drag. It may seem I am padding my check-book, but that's just not the case. When you treat ADHD with stimulants you are in fish-bowl and everyone is scrutinizing you, so you have to do things by the book. It takes time. As a result, my waiting list is unreasonably long. I'm sorry about that. Everyday I get pulled in 3 directions all day long: answering patient emails, phone calls and prescription refills. So yes I'm almost always behind and I wish that weren't so. I see 13-16 patients in a day. It can be a bit draining. It's true,. Sometimes, very very rarely, I will be eating an apple or a piece of chocolate, just to make it until lunch time. Also rarely, I will take a personal call from a family member or someone that I have been trying to get hold of all day, like Telus. I might even take a minute or two to respond to an email. I apologize for that. It's just almost impossible to get everything done in a day. Finally, yes, I come across as arrogant. It's true. I wish I didn't. I have a small niche and I spend all day, everyday dealing with ADHD and Addiction, so I'm sure I come across as over-confident. I can do better. I'm working on it. At the end of the day, it's not that these things are absolutely wrong, there is a grain of truth in each of these comments, but they are out of perspective, uncharitable and sometimes downright mean. I have a really difficult job. I'm far from perfect. I do my best. Thanks for listening.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

This doctor is clearly out for the money. He has you come in for 15 mins and bills the gov for 1 hr somebody report this man to the college of physicians if he does this to you I have already submitted a letter. He treatment is OK he is cocky and full of himself when in realty your like 5 foot tale and ain't the best looking . His secretary is there because she owns the or leases the spot and she's some Indian who thinks shes something special as well when in reality you probably come from some little town in India and now your in Canada you think your gods gift I just laugh at people like that. Over all Dr Ocana would have better reviews if he were to be nicer to his patients and stop taking advantage of the system but I'm sure he will get caught sooner or later. But again drs and lawyers are cut from the same cloth would I recommend him? NO I've seen better and his arouguant style well he also needs to look in the mirror and realize he's not George Clooney but I'm sure he's milking the system and enjoying west van , since he is originally from Toronto his Spanish or Italian background doesn't fit in north van sorry to break your ego... Overall waste of time and arougaunt its OK he won't take nothing with him when the good lord comes it all stays here unfortunately...

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

i think Dr. Ocana is great. I just can't get past his receptionist to book an appointment. I've been trying to schedule one for over 2 years now and he wont get back to me either. He was much better when he was at his old office in West Van.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2016

I feel that Dr Ocala did help me immensely only because of the medication he gave me. Other than that I found him to be rude,condescending, judgey and basically just a dick. As soon as I find another Dr that can prescribe me what I need I'm out.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

I got a funny feeling from this doctor. He's so strangely unprofessional sometimes. He started eating once while I was there. Another time his cell phone rang during my appointment with him and he actually answered it. It was obviously a personal call and I waited about 7 minutes for it to end. I have never had a doctor do that! Another concern is ADDers and addicts tend to be a vulnerable group and here's this guy not asking many questions about the drugs he's giving me. I was concerned enough about his behavior that I dug up some information that is now erased from his record at the College of Physicians and Surgeons: he once had an inappropriate affair with a patient and was disciplined for it. Reading these reviews, I find it interesting that so many say the same extreme thing-"he saved my life" over and over again. Could it be a lot of these comments were authored by the doctor himself? It wouldn't surprise me.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

Dr. Ocana changed my life. He is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. I put my trust in him and was rewarded with an exceptional treatment plan that continues to help me immensely after six years - it has literally transformed my life. I did not perceive arrogance or condescension in his approach. What I perceived, and appreciated, was expertise, and a willingness to provide assessments in an objective and professional manner. I would recommend him to anyone seeking help with addictions and/or ADHD.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016

He seems to be knoledge about ADD bug I can't stand his arrogance and the way he patronizes his patients

flag | Submitted February 29, 2016

Currently seeing Dr. Ocana for adult ADHD. I find him quite likeable. There is just a few things that bother me and when I looked up his name online I found this site. My assessment took 4 appointments of half hour sessions just doing straight-forward questions and answers, and I couldn't help wondering why this couldn't be done on my own time. He's just asking these questions and writing down my yes and no answers. Seems like a bit of a money-grab. I found myself wondering what the Medical Services Plan would think of this but then I thought about the fact that he seemed like a fairly reasonable and nice guy and felt guilty for even thinking that. One thing that bugs me is he asked me if he'd taken my picture yet? I said "no" and suddenly, he just snapped this picture of me with his iphone!! That really set my teeth on edge. It felt like he really didn't ask my permission at all, just snuck in this photo of me before I could protest. Apparently, he has so many patients (more than other doctors?) that he forgets what we look like. I'd like to warn others not to allow him to take your picture, first of all, because it's suspect that he just goes ahead and does it without directly asking you or telling you why he needs it. I find that a bit sneaky and unprofessional. Hopefully my future appointments will not be uncomfortable...

flag | Submitted February 28, 2016

Competent, however clearly knows the exclusive niche market for ADHD/ADD doctors and takes advantage of that. Has ridiculously inappropriately long waitlist lists, because he is money hungry. This is the result of him making patients take multiple 15 minute appointments to extract as much money from the government per appointment as possible. This also ensues with multiple appointments being required because the material hardly is covered in 15 minutes. On a personality level, he is condescending, patronizing, and although highly educated, seems to think that this makes him superior to his clients. Perhaps dealing with people with "problems" gives him the false sense of control as a god like figure, but if it wasn't for there being no other practioner in this field, I would certainly look elsewhere. Thanks for being the worst doctor ever (except for your competency)! :P

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015