Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ocana

I have just finished my 6 sessions with Dr Ocana and I would like to complement him on his professional approach to the sessions so far. I have heard and read from some that he is "cold" and “dismissive” to clients. In this regard, I think people need to be aware of the number of patients Dr Ocana has to assess. You are there to get an assessment, not to make friends or be comforted - that is what family and therapists are for. What’s more, the correct diagnosis of ADHD is particularly important given the stigma and controversy associated with the disorder and I believe the method he uses: a number of sessions per week over a 5 to 6-week period, allows him to make an assessment over a period of time. I think people need to also remember that the medication that is used to treat ADHD is controversial in some quarters; these are serious drugs and can be misused and abused quite easily. Not only is he assessing whether a patient has the condition or not, but he also needs to decide whether the individual will use the medication the way it is intended. Comorbidity is also an important part of the diagnosis; in my case, how is clinical depression and anxiety related to my ADHD, and is one related to the other? My sessions with Dr Ocana were systematic and efficient, which is exactly what I was after. The medication I was prescribed has helped significantly with some of the major symptoms I have been struggling with for most of my life. While I have not been cured of these condition(s), I am now in a better position to address them. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

I just finished my 5 sessions with Dr.Ocana and I can not say enough about the effect he has had on my life! Some of the comments I have read on here seem to suggest that he be held to and almost inhuman standard - I feel people need to remember he is after all a human being trying to do a very difficult job. No good deed goes unpunished - I have found that, in my experience, with amazing Doctors that are at the top of their professions, who are also trying very hard to help as many people as humanly possible, that they tend to be judged on their "waiting list", "punctuality" and very full schedule. You can not have it both ways. Enough said about that - Dr. Ocana has helped me in every area of my life. The first several visits were all about my history - not always pleasant for me - but necessary for him to make a correct assessment of me, which he did. I found him to be personable and professional and to be very caring - this man truly cares about what he is doing and helping people. I would highly recomenend him to anyone I care about. He is worth the wait time!

flag | Submitted September 16, 2017

Dear Dr. Ocana: Thank you so much for assessing me and medicating me. The Vyvanse has changed my life! I cant explain it other than to say that I feel like the voices in my head are quiet. All the white noise is gone. I can focus on one thing and I can finish the thought to the end. I feel like my ability finally matches my ambition because Im not frozen with indecision or self-doubt. Also, for the first time in my life, I can listen to my body and stop eating when Im full and I dont need to eat something just because it's in front of me. It's a freakin miracle! A few of my friends and co-workers have commented that I seem calmer and more content. I feel less frantic in my thoughts so I guess that is showing. I cant thank you enough.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2017

Dr Ocana is an ignorant, out-dated, judgemental person who as a doctor, hinders his ability to perform his role well. He talks about how many patients he has helped and his "expert" opinions, etc. Well I hate to tell you, doctors across the board see thousands of patients too. Does that make them all excellent doctors in their field??? All the information he provides can be found on the internet. There's nothing specialized about the treatment or special about him. He's just a self-absorb bad doctor.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2017

I had to complete all 4 "star" ratings, however, to be honest, we have no idea how knowledgeable Dr Ocana is so we have entered 3/5 to be objective. My son has been to 2 of the 5 appointments suggested by Dr Ocana's booking "person". The first appointment was 15 minutes late with no explanation of what the "process" is or what the "program" is, we left feeling very upset. The 2nd appointment was slightly better, only 10 minutes late, yet the appointment was only 10-15 minutes which gave us 2-3 minutes to "chat" about his treatment and expertise in the subject. Now the 3rd appointment has been cancelled by the most frustrating, self-absorbed young girl who explained to me she has to cancel a whole weeks of appointments and was furious that she had to spend 8 minutes on the phone with me! This poor young inexperienced girl had no answers for my questions. She advised she is unable to consult Dr Ocana in regards to re-booking. It extremely difficult to get my son to agree to the 5 appointments, after this experience I'm not sure i will be able to get him to go back, and from what I understand, he desperately needs Dr. Ocana's help. Feeling very dejected.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

When I began my assessment with Dr Ocana, I had already had 2 psychiatrists pumping obscene amounts of anti-depressant meds into me that made me feel much worse. These 2 doctors would not even discuss ADHD which was what I had been referred for. Dr Ocana knew I had ADD from the first visit but insisted on completing his assessment. I think it's important for people to realise this man is not a therapist! He is a fantastic doctor who knows his field. As far as I found, there are very few who can help in this area and I am so thankful for coming to him. I now have no anti-depressant medication and am only being treated for ADHD. Breakthrough at last at the age of 46! Thank you Dr Ocana. It's clear to me you know your area of expertise. That's all I need (the laughs were fun too!)

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

I was semi-functional living under addiction and have been grossly mistreated and misdiagnosed by several doctors for 15 years until finally Dr. Ocana showed me what a great mental health doctor can be by listening, understanding and coming up with an effective treatment for my personal situation. He has a strict system that requires multiple sessions and dozens of questions when every other doctor I've met has maybe a maximum of 3 questions before they make a judgement. I'm so grateful to finally find someone who understands Adult ADD and addiction and does not avoid treating it. Dr. Ocana helped me totally turn my life around.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2017

I met Dr. Ocana for the first time and Love this man. He made me laugh and feel totally comfortable talking to him. I felt he listened and was on the same page as I was about a treatment plan. I would recommend him to anyone who would like clarity on there mental health issues. He was extremely accommodating and I appreciate his upbeat personality and demeanor. He has a great sense of humor!

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

Brilliant man. To the point, knowledgable and makes me feel like I'm not insane about what's going on in my life and how long I've been lying, juggling, and feeling like a complete fraud and failure.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

This is my second rating for Dr. Ocana. I'll say it again, this doctor has changed my life. Sure he has a chip on his shoulder and may not have the best communication style, but the man is brilliant and knows his stuff. When I met him I was a shell of a woman. Working a low paying job and not functioning properly at all. Now that I am on the right medication after years and years of constantly being misdiagnosed by other doctors and being poisoned by the wrong medications, I have finally found some peace and tranquility in my life. I'm even on the road to starting my own business. My life is just beginning at long last. So hate all you want on him, but it won't change the fact that he saves lives. He saved mine. Thanks Dr. Ocana🇨🇭

flag | Submitted February 24, 2017