Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ocana

Man, people suck. Having read these reviews before I met Dr Ocana, I was kind of on edge, but that was totally unnecessary. Was he to the point? Very, we had half an hour. Did he interrupt me? ..Yeah, I have ADD, I get off track. Is he superior to me? On the subject of ADD, THE THING I AM SEEING HIM FOR, absolutely. TBH, I think I got along with him better than most therapists and professionals I've seen because he's direct, and a bit sarcastic. Problems like ADD and addiction take people to dark places. People develop a sense of humour that reflects their life. It made me at ease. I hope anyone who's been referred to him looks over *all* the reviews (not the ones referencing something terrible that ~*somehow*~ got deleted before the anonymous poster could provide proof, super convenient). If you're sensitive, respect everyone's time and look elsewhere. If you had a bad experience, maybe take stock and figure out if you might be reading the situation wrong. That's all.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

I wish I could say glowing things about Dr. Ocana because I had high hopes, but I can't. I went to support a family member through the process. I found him to be arrogant to the point of almost rude. He seems to have a sense of humour but that is as far as his relatability went. I would think that after years of working with vulnerable folks he would have found a language to describe problems stemming from ADHD that were less condemming than "flawed" and "not normal". Thank god my relative's self esteem is strong enough to have handled those words - there are times when words like that would have sent him into a spin and deepened his depression. The client disclosed that he lives with other conditions aside from ADHD and Dr. Ocana did not seem to understand that - he continued to use scaling systems and language that is difficult to process when one lives with LPD. He also would not acknowledge that he lived with a bonified memory impairment - on top of that he has great difficulty with executive functions such as self awareness so his self assessment systems did not make sense. There is plenty of documentation to back up these things - but Dr. Ocana did not inquire about that. The one thing I can say is that I am impressed that Dr. Ocana has visited this site and is reading these comments and taking them into account. I hope that he does find the way to better practice because we definitely need experts in the field - experts who are compassionate, open, smart and non-judgemental. A very wise person once said "it is only in the presence of compassion that we will allow ourselves to see the truth".

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

I haven't seen Dr. Ocana for a few years but I thought about seeing him again so that's how I came to this site. He may be a little arrogant but most doctors are. I saw Dr. Ocana for about 4 years and he was always willing to allow me to try different medications and determine what worked best for me. If he was so arrogant I don't think he would all me to do this. People that trash him on the site need to give him a break and get some self esteem. Nobody is perfect. Who cares if he eats an apple in front of you. I would definitely recommend Dr. Ocana for anyone struggling with addictions, which is why I saw him.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2016

Do not waste your time and money. After years of mental anguish I was at my end. This doctor was my last hope. I did my 5 consultations which concluded with him saying I'm bi polar. And gave me a prescription for lamotrigine. If he would have even bothered to look up my medical history he would of seen I was already prescribed that under a different brand name which i did not react to well years earlier. Thew me some pills and then leaves on vacation for a month with no one to cover for him while my condition detriorates faster and faster. I had to stop the medication before I got any deeper. There is so much more that I need to say but i will be publishing the rest in a letter to the college of doctors and physicians. The good thing is my parents had a chance to talk to him on the phone and left them with the worst possible expression of himself. I truely hope my letter results in an investigation into his medical practise. Thank you to those who took the time to read this.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2016

I was going to say, my experience has been like Flowers for Algernon in reverse, but I see this kind of description has already been used in other contexts., so I'll have to come up with another memorable comparison--watch this space!

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

Excellent doctor. Got me through a very difficult period in my life with his knowledge and compassion.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2016

Dr. Ocana can help you if you are patient and willing to make a serious commitment. I have followed his treatment for a year and a half now. Tried different medications until he found the ones that worked best for me. This gave me the necessary mental stability to develop a healthier lifestyle that has allowed me to slowly decrease medication to almost zero now. Dr. Ocana has always been supportive of my request to slowly withdraw from the medications I was taking. That speaks very highly of him (he is not for the quick and easy fix) So my advice is to be patient because significant improvements can only be perceived after the first year of treatment. Also, he has a great team assisting him: Kat is a very nice and professional assistant; she always goes the extra mile in order to provide outstanding service.

Submitted September 4, 2016

Dr. Ocana definitely isn't for everyone, but he was the right doctor for me. I can see where some people might find him condescending, but for me I think he doesn't have a lot of time and just wants to get right to the point. I have been trying to pinpoint what was wrong with me all my life and because of the system he uses and the fact that he uses a direct approach I finally have the answers I need. I have been misdiagnosed all my life, put on medications that made my condition worse and caused me many problems. Finally thanks to Dr. Ocana he found the right meds for me and I am feeling good for the first time that I can remember. I really had all but given up until a friend of mine told me about him. So I am pretty grateful to him.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

This man saved my life , does it get any better than that !

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

Hi. This is Dr. Ocana. I felt I had to respond to put some things in perspective. What I do is hard. It takes a lot of effort to get it right. I know its not pleasant for the patient to be assessed question after question, being picked apart and only being asked about the bad stuff. I've done this thousand of times, so it can be a bit of a machine and I may seem detached and uncaring. I'm sorry about that. I care. lots, it's just hard to get to all done in 30 min. My assessments are long and very detailed. They span 5 visits. That is a drag. It may seem I am padding my check-book, but that's just not the case. When you treat ADHD with stimulants you are in fish-bowl and everyone is scrutinizing you, so you have to do things by the book. It takes time. As a result, my waiting list is unreasonably long. I'm sorry about that. Everyday I get pulled in 3 directions all day long: answering patient emails, phone calls and prescription refills. So yes I'm almost always behind and I wish that weren't so. I see 13-16 patients in a day. It can be a bit draining. It's true,. Sometimes, very very rarely, I will be eating an apple or a piece of chocolate, just to make it until lunch time. Also rarely, I will take a personal call from a family member or someone that I have been trying to get hold of all day, like Telus. I might even take a minute or two to respond to an email. I apologize for that. It's just almost impossible to get everything done in a day. Finally, yes, I come across as arrogant. It's true. I wish I didn't. I have a small niche and I spend all day, everyday dealing with ADHD and Addiction, so I'm sure I come across as over-confident. I can do better. I'm working on it. At the end of the day, it's not that these things are absolutely wrong, there is a grain of truth in each of these comments, but they are out of perspective, uncharitable and sometimes downright mean. I have a really difficult job. I'm far from perfect. I do my best. Thanks for listening.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016