Ratings for Dr. Anthony Ocana

This dr is so money hungry arrogant rude receptionist he makes u come for 15 mins so he can take advantage of the government. I would love to see him in a parking lot go one on one

Submitted December 21, 2015

Competent, however clearly knows the exclusive niche market for ADHD/ADD doctors and takes advantage of that. Has ridiculously inappropriately long waitlist lists, because he is money hungry. This is the result of him making patients take multiple 15 minute appointments to extract as much money from the government per appointment as possible. This also ensues with multiple appointments being required because the material hardly is covered in 15 minutes. On a personality level, he is condescending, patronizing, and although highly educated, seems to think that this makes him superior to his clients. Perhaps dealing with people with "problems" gives him the false sense of control as a god like figure, but if it wasn't for there being no other practioner in this field, I would certainly look elsewhere. Thanks for being the worst doctor ever (except for your competency)! :P

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015

I've just read some of the negative comments. They couldn't be further from the truth! Dr. Ocean is awesome! He's very caring, and incredibly knowledgeable. Also, to respond to what someone below said about ADHD versus "ADD": Wow. That person has no idea what they are talking about! The difference between ADHD and ADD isn't that one had hyperactivity and the other doesn't; they both refer to the same disorder! ADHD is just the newer term, and is what the DSM-IV-TR and the newest, the DSM-V (or 5) use. If that reviewer had bothered to actually look up ADHD in its official citations (such as the DSM), then they would gave seen that being inattentive without hyperactivity is one of the subtypes of ADHD (vs. hyperactive subtype, and combined subtype). As well, the review is incorrect. ADHD, inattentive type, IS commonly treated with medication, and medication is in its treatment profile. I have a degree in which one of my specialties is abnormal psychology, versus the misinformed below reviewer, who seems to believe what laypeople tell them, as well as "Doctor Internet" :-P

flag | Submitted September 11, 2015

Patient's update
LOL: Autocorrect got me! *Dr. Ocana, not Ocean ;-)

Submitted September 11, 2015

First person (without ADHD) EVER to exactly understand what ADHD is like inside my head!!!! :-) :-) :-) VERY compassionate, even while being perfectly honest :-D Had persevered to find a medication that works for me :-) Referred a childhood friend to Dr. Ocana, and my friend is very satisfied :-)

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

Great Doctor, he made me feel welcomed from day one and has never stopped. Great guy, great doctor, very knowledgeable and has a way of explaining complex things so that it's very easy to understand. I was referred to him for my undiagnosed ADHD and even though I went in reluctant to accept it, he helped me understand it, accept it and learn to live with it. The staff is amazing also, my favourite is the blond lady sitting on the right side of the front desk. She is soooooo nice. She has the kindness a deaf can hear and the blind can see. Thanks guys, Ehsan

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Dr. Anthony Ocana saved my life. Before I began sessions with him I had undiagnosed ADHD for years, as well as some serious substance abuse issues which lead to depression. I was unhappy with every aspect of my life…. I knew I had potential but I simply couldn't get out of the vicious cycle of addiction and depression I was in. With Dr. Ocana's help over the years I have completely transformed my life and am myself a medical professional… if it wasn't for him I don't want to think about where i could be today. Regarding the comments about him being arrogant below, they are 100 percent garbage. Book a consult and see for yourself, he is nothing if not incredibly patient, knowledgeable and kind. I

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

Nothing would thrill me more than to punch Dr Ocana in the face. Seriously, all those comments about him being arrogant and rude are 100% true. He lacks people skills along with communication skills. But at the end of the day he's been more effective in figuring out the problem than anyone else in the medical field. What he lacks in people skills he makes up for in vast knowledge of ADD, drug abuse and addiction issues along with co-morbid conditions. So if you want a doctor who will give you the kniwledge and help you need and you handle putting up with him being an insensitive,arrogant and condescending prick you'll be fine.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2015

Like most of the other reviews say, I found him to be arrogant and condescending, Needed a diagnosis, which I got, so there's that. He was thorough (mostly- though he missed a few big questions and when I brought it up he stated that he'd OF COURSE asked them, because they're questions that you kinda HAVE to ask when doing a history for brain issues/ mental health/ADHD)... His communication was poor- he noted in my paperwork that he thought I had a co-morbid condition as well as ADD but never discussed it with me- I found out from my GP when she asked for the records from his office. How can you treat me if you won't talk to me about my condition? His approach seems to be to prescribe very high doses of medication, which seems to be a reasonable protocol for ADHD but not for ADD (without hyperactive symptoms- so I have since learned) and so I have to question his knowledge of dosage protocols. It was EXTREMELY detrimental to my health, bad reactions to all the medications he tried me on, and eventually had to give up and get treated by my family doctor with better medication (the cheaper ones on the provincial formulary) and in MU lower dosages. Also, he won't prescribe medication of the provincial formulary, which can obviously be a problem unless you're well off enough to be able to pay hundreds of dollars for medication outright. He nearly cost me my job by insisting he knew the answer to a question pertaining to using the meds he put me on in my work environment. Instead of saying- "gee, I'm not sure, lets call the Transport Canada doctor" he said I was fine etc. etc. to take them and work and that very nearly resulted in me being out of work. So, yeah. Arrogant. To the point of it being a serious problem. MY JOB IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN PUT IN JEOPARDY BECAUSE YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE ADMITTING YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!! He's good for a diagnosis, if you don't mind being talked down to and not included and who knows, may be good for people with addiction issues, (as some of the reviews suggest) but I'd seek out a second opinion for treatment. And if you just have boring old ADD, I'd stick with your GP. If you need more medical care than Your GP can provide, or if they can't get your medication to work for you, maybe get a referral to Dr. Ocana, but try to find other resources as well. And make sure run everything by your second opinion. If you get someone that you can talk to, who's not a condescending ass, it might prove complementary to Dr. Ocana's approach.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2015

Dr. Ocana continues to be the best doctor I have ever encountered. I credit Dr. Ocana with saving my life, as well as improving my quality of life. After having him as both a family doctor as well as specialist, I had never met a doctor more knowledgeable, patient, and kind. He also inspired me to become a doctor, and for this I am very grateful. Thank you for your wonderful service.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Dr. Anthony Ocana's Credentials

• Toronto (Grad. 1991)

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "This dr is so money hungry arrogant rude receptionist he makes u come for 15 mins so he can take advantage of the government. I would love to see him in a park..."

December 21, 2015
  • A new 3-star rating has been posted. "Competent, however clearly knows the exclusive niche market for ADHD/ADD doctors and takes advantage of that. Has ridiculously inappropriately long waitlist lis..."

December 16, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "I've just read some of the negative comments. They couldn't be further from the truth! Dr. Ocean is awesome! He's very caring, and incredibly knowledgeable. Al..."

September 11, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "First person (without ADHD) EVER to exactly understand what ADHD is like inside my head!!!! :-) :-) :-) VERY compassionate, even while being perfectly honest :..."

September 10, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Great Doctor, he made me feel welcomed from day one and has never stopped. Great guy, great doctor, very knowledgeable and has a way of explaining complex th..."

May 13, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "An extremely kind, gifted professional. I feel highly motivated to transform my lifestyle and beat my addictions. Truly life-changing."

May 11, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Anthony Ocana saved my life. Before I began sessions with him I had undiagnosed ADHD for years, as well as some serious substance abuse issues which lead to..."

March 25, 2015
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "Nothing would thrill me more than to punch Dr Ocana in the face. Seriously, all those comments about him being arrogant and rude are 100% true. He lacks people..."

March 20, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Like most of the other reviews say, I found him to be arrogant and condescending, Needed a diagnosis, which I got, so there's that. He was thorough (mostly- th..."

March 8, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ocana continues to be the best doctor I have ever encountered. I credit Dr. Ocana with saving my life, as well as improving my quality of life. After havi..."

February 23, 2015
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "Quite simply, this incredible man saved my life! He worked with me for 7 years and at the time I left, I was finally given the right medications to treat multip..."

November 24, 2014
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Very rude staff. Was late for all appointments Not helpful at all, he is completely arrogant, obnoxious and condansending towards patients. He may be knowle..."

November 21, 2014
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Worst doctor of all time. I went under his care and he is one arrogant, condescending person I have ever met in my life. I filed a complaint to the board about ..."

November 19, 2014
  • A new 4.2-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ocana specializes in ADHD/Addiction issues. Our ADHD daughter had gone through a tough 8 years as a teen, drank, did drugs, got into trouble. By the time w..."

November 9, 2014
  • A new 3.8-star rating has been posted. "OK, I am not a patient of Ocana's per se but I am the mother of 2 daughters who have been independently diagnosed with ADD and we lucked out when we found Dr. O..."

October 8, 2014
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Ocana improved my life as much as any other person I have met including family, friends and business acquaintances. A pretty bold statement but true. With a..."

September 26, 2014
  • Specialty changed from "Family / G.P." to "Addiction Medicine"

October 9, 2013
  • Specialty changed from "Addiction Medicine" to "Family / G.P."

June 28, 2013