Ratings for Dr. Karla D. Gayer

Do not use this doctor. She failed to notice a mole on my father, which ended up being melanoma.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2014

I had a bad experience with Dr Gayer. She seemed to be in a rush, spent less than 5 min with me, did not ask any questions, she looked at my skin for less than 2 min, told me to wear sunscreen and left...

flag | Submitted October 14, 2013

I would like my co-pay back. What a waste of time. As other reviewers stated. She will spend about 2 minutes looking at your skin and will make you feel like you are wasting her time. She spent maybe 10 seconds scanning my previous history and family history checklist and failed to notice that I HAD MELANOMA. I have had several different dermatologists since I've had melanoma (I've moved several times) and all of them have been really amazing and take their time, take pictures of every single "questionable" mole. She didn't even measure them (just took approximate guesses), didn't photograph anything, and sent me on my way with instructions to come back in a year and wear sunscreen. REALLY?!? You have to be kidding. I packed up and left and I am searching for another doctor. GW should really do something about this. I have never in my life been so disappointed with a Dr.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2013

First of all, it is very difficult getting an appointment at this office. Then, after moving away I wanted to transfer my medical records. They charge a flat fee of 25.00 for records over 4 pages. Obtaining the records is even more difficult. They have a form you fax in, okay. But when you attempt to contact someone in medical records, you always have to leave a voicemail and they have never called back! As the appointment approached that I needed records for, I called the appointment line as they are the only ones who seem to answer. A woman answered and instead of listening to the problem and trying to suggest another route, she hung up! Unbelievable that they would call themselves professionals with that behavior. I did call back and another lady answered the phone and gave me the patient liason's phone number. I have left another message and still waiting to hear back.... My advice: avoid this group and the ensuing headache.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2012

Rude. Was reaching for the doorknob the whole time she was there, didn't listen, didn't examine me.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2012

DO NOT VISIT THIS DOCTOR!! LACKS BASIC PROFESSIONAL CURTESY AND RESPECT FOR HER PATIENTS!! Dr. Gayer's clinic did a reasonable job of scheduling an appointment and getting me into the exam room. Unfortunately, Dr. Gayer is far from a good doctor. Recently, I went in for a check up and the doctor repeatedly talked over me, did not listen to my issues, formed assumptions about my medical history before asking me, and ended up proposing I take an over the counter medication (which I informed her was already not working). She then wrote me a script for a medication that in her words, "your insurance will not cover, but I'm in a hurry, so that will have to do for now." She also said that I should come back in a month and that she would be on vacation so she was not sure if anyone could see me.Overall my experience with Dr. Gayer was horrible!! DO NOT VISIT THIS DOCTOR!! She is unprofessional, unapologetic, disrespectful and her patients are her last priority!!

flag | Submitted January 21, 2012

After this experience I wouldn't go back to the GW dermo department at all. Long wait time and Dr. Gayer was shockingly rude and dismissive. She took a quick look at my condition, and told me that she didn't know what it was, but that she is a cancer doctor, so I could make a follow up appointment to see her PA if it didn't go away in a couple of months. Really, a discredit to her profession.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2010

I went to Dr. Gayer after a small spot appeared on my face, and stayed for longer than normal. I've already had a couple of small skin cancer places, and thought this looked suspicious. So, I made an appointment with her and waited a full month! I wait on her, she comes in, spends about 2 minutes with me and basically laughed off my concerns, but begrudgingly made me a follow-up appt with another dermo/surgeon in their practice for a month later. After that appointment (and additional co-pay), they tell me I need to come back for a scheduled biopsy, and pay again. After I pitched a mini-fit, they agreed to do it that day, and lo and behold, it comes back as basal cell carcinoma. So, not only was Dr. Gayer rude to me, she also was wrong. Last time I will be visiting her, for sure!!!

flag | Submitted October 22, 2009

I'm a patient person and don't normally complain about doctors - I know they have lots of competing priorities, but I had a horrible experience with Dr. Gayer. She was 30 min. late for an early morning appt., spent 2 minutes doing my first ever mole check, was annoyed by my questions about other issues, and seemed to get increasingly flustered/irritated with me during the 10 minutes total she spent with me. I was a new patient and hadn't been to a dermatologist in years - what did she expect!?

flag | Submitted July 14, 2009

I had seen 11(!) doctors, this woman diagnosed my rare disorder on site within seconds. She gave me an answer. I'll be eternally grateful for that.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2009

Dr. Karla D. Gayer's Credentials

• Wayne State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1983)

• BCBS Massachusetts