Ratings for Dr. Alan R. Forfar

Over bad service given by the staff. They require an upfront payment regardless of having an insurance. Please don't avail their services. There are many other oral surgeons with very good to excellent ratings.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Avoid this oral surgeon, he has no manners, he is arrogant, and he has a temper. He was violent with my simple tooth extraction twisting the tooth out with a pair of pliers! He threw the tools around and jabbed me with the shot of novacaine like he was trying to kill something. He made me very very nervous, he was in a big rush, yet left me sitting in the chair for 40 mins cause he went to work on another patient. I told him I was no longer numb and he said I gave you enough numbing medicine for 10 teeth. I didn't care it hurt really bad, he said if I wasn't able to withstand the pain maybe I would have to come back and be sedated. I don't care how many good reviews this guy gets, they never called me to see if I was alright afterwards either. The staff is very rude, non communicative and all they want is your money. Plus he jammed a wad of gauze in my mouth that almost made me throw up. Upon removing the gauze I found a large piece of my tooth was stuck to the gauze and it started bleeding all over again. Avoid avoid avoid. This was the Wheaton office. He came recommended and I will be telling the dentist who referred me to him just how unprofessional Dr. Forfar is. If you get a tooth pulled they expect you up and out of their office within seconds of getting the gauze shoved into your mouth. I felt like passing out. Avoid avoid avoid.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2017

Do NOT go to this Dentist/Oral Surgeon’s office!!! I found them on the MetLife Preferred Dentist Program website. I made an appointment to have 1 wisdom tooth extracted. I was promised by the office staff that they were in the MetLife PDP network & I would get in-network “contract” rates. Instead, I paid out-of-pocket 20% of full/out-of-network rates & they received 80% of full/out-of-network rates from MetLife. It turns out that Dr. Patrick Carroll, who extracted my tooth, was not yet credentialed, was an associate contractor, & did not qualify for being considered “in-network.” The office staff did not disclose this to me & had promised me in-network rates before I had my tooth extracted. MetLife later refused to accept a refund (for in-network rates) from the office because Dr. Carroll was not in the PDP network at the time of my extraction. The office did refund my out-of-pocket 20% payment, but now my annual dental insurance allowance has been exceeded & I will be responsible for all of any further dental work this year. Check out the website HealthGrades.com—Dr. Patrick Carroll caused a patient’s death, was sanctioned, his licenses were suspended for 12 months, & he was on probation for 2 years. My wisdom tooth extraction did not go well--it was extremely violent, I had lots of soreness, shooting pain, significant swelling with a big lump in my cheek, swollen/tender glands under my jaw, a sore throat, chills, headache, pain in my ear, & I ended up having a serious infection in my gums & cheek. I had 2 follow-up appointments with Carroll (at the first appointment, Carroll said I looked fine even though I knew I wasn’t) & a total of 4 repair/follow-up appointments with Dr. Alan Forfar. Neither Carroll nor Forfar put on latex gloves before examining me. Forfar had to completely cut me open again (he called it “starting from scratch”) to clean out my infection. It was like having to have my tooth extracted again. Forfar had the bedside manner of Dr. Kavorkian. Forfar once spilled antibiotic solution on his shirt while preparing a pack, became furious, & was more concerned about his shirt stain than my pain & swelling. He was always very dismissive & short with me, spent very little time with me (in & out), rude, rolled his eyes at me several times, unconcerned about my factual/descriptive complaints of swelling in my jaw & pain in gums & nearby teeth, chastised me for having some food stuck in my pit once, & eventually pawned me off on my other dentist (he actually called my dentist & made an appointment for me that same day) because he didn’t want to be bothered with me anymore. Again, stay away from Dr. Forfar & Carroll—I’ll never go there again; nightmare experience both physically & financially!!!

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

This was one of most rude and uncaring people I've ever met. He was completely cold and didn't show any empathy for my situation. . .I would NEVER recommend him. If he doesn't want to work with people hee shouldn't!!!

flag | Submitted July 24, 2016

He is a good doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very in tuned to the fact I was nervous when I went in for two teeth extractions/ imants and explained the steps of the procedure in detail. Before the extractions I was in horrible pain. Afterwards I continued to experience unexpected serious pain, but by all accounts (3 separate doctors) the implants were placed perfectly. But still the pain persisted. He was unbelievably caring, clearly disconcerted because we could not relieve the pain. Finally we decided to remove the implants just in case that was the cause, sadly, it was not. He stuck with me, continuing to see me twice a week to try to figure out what was causing my upper jaw pain. Money was not mentioned once, so people saying he is just in it for the money are really off base. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the pain, but he has done everything in his power to help me. I would return to this doctor for any oral surgery I might have to have. Highly recommended.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

Unfriendly Judgmental Argumentative Poor Attention To Detail Avoid

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

This dentist must be bipolar. I agree with the comment below that said he must have good days and bad days bc I definitely got him on one of his bad days. First of all, I didnt get to see him until a hour and a half after my appointment. No apologies was given and the office was freezing. When he finally came into the room, he was very arrogant, cold and unfriendly. After rushing thru everything, he sent his assist in to go ovr what I wld owe. They first charged me $50 for a consultation that was nvr mentioned ovr the phone, and tried to charge me $110 for a xray that I brought in with me, my husband also brought in his xray to get his wisdom tooth pulled and was charged $50 for what our dentist had already told him!... (that he needed his teeh pulled)!...long story short, I felt like it was all about money, I was so frustrated by the whole ordeal and the way I was treated, I told the asst. That I was leaving, my husband then convinced me to stay, so I went bk and told the asst I wld move forward with the procedure..she then told me instead of the $310 dwn..it wld be $410 bc the doc may nd to send out for a biopsy. .so on my way to inform my husband of the $100 possible increase, dr Forfar stops me and ask, "are we going to do this or what!? Bottom line, this man does not know how to treat or appreciate his patients, true we all have bad days, but without patients. ..you dont have a practice!

flag | Submitted December 21, 2014

I had my wisdom teeth removed and was having terrible abdominal pain for a week from the "packing" that was placed in my sockets. I asked to have the "packing" removed and he was very short with me and unwilling to listen about my situation and refused to believe that it could be making me sick. He advised me that I would have pain in my jaw if the packing was removed, but I was desperate for a break from the pain and to avoid the E.R. for my sever abdominal pain. I had the "packing" removed and within a few hours I had ZERO abdominal pain and thought I had ended this nightmarish situation. But the pain in my jaw was becoming significant. I called and explained to Dr. Forfar that I was in terrible pain to see what he recommended and he responded by telling me to take Advil every 4- 6 hours and GOOD LUCK. Yes, good luck. I was shocked. Dr. Forfar was not informative about my recovery schedule or what I could expect as far as additional appointments or timeline. I would NOT EVER recommend someone go to this dentist. He seemed to be happy that I was in pain like he said I would be and did not care about helping me.

Submitted September 7, 2014