Ratings for Dr. Maryla Stelmach

An excision of the right lower lid lesion which turned out to be nothing to worry about....fantastic news. Maryla's handiwork was so good that there were no stiches which suprised me!! Excellent office staff & a brilliant surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2019

Dr Stelmach treated me for droopy eyelids. The eyelid on my left eye was starting to impact on my vision. I had day surgery which lifted the eyelids to a normal height. This eliminated my vision issue. After waiting a year to see if the alignment was correct I required a further adjustment to the eye that was drooping the most. Both eyes are now aligned and look very normal. At all times everything was explained and I had full confidence Dr Stelmach's care and precision. Thank you for your great care. Helen Comport

flag | Submitted November 14, 2019

Are you in need of a brilliant and highly skilled oculoplastic surgeon? If your answer is yes, then Dr Maryla Stelmach is for YOU! Dr Stelmach removed an intradermal naevus from my lower left eyelid and from the initial consultation, to the procedure, and post op appointment, the whole experience was handled beautifully by Dr Stelmach and her wonderful team including her Receptionist, Tiara. Dr Stelmach left no stone unturned when explaining the procedure and detailed post op instructions. I felt completely at ease and confident in Dr Stelmach’s capable hands and had no bruising, pain or swelling post surgery. An excellent end result! Dr Stelmach has a lovely manner and radiates calmness and kindness and is genuine caring person. Thank you Maryla for looking after me. Maja Zweck.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2019

Maryla was very pleasant. She explained clearly and did not rush. I had a lesion removed from my right eyelid (day surgery). 2 weeks on you would hardly know. Provided prompt post operative review.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2019

I had an inflamed and irritated left eye so started using eye drops and based upon my symptoms the pharmacist advised it was probably conjunctivitis and I was given Chlorsig drops. I then saw my GP and given I’d also been experiencing chronic sinus problems, and both the left side of my nose was inflamed adjacent to my left eye, it was unclear whether perhaps it was the same or seperate issues. I was advised to keep using eye drops frequently in the interim. After a CT scan and then a visit to an ENT specialist, there were no obstruction and the Dymista spray I had recently been prescribed by my GP provided substantial relief with the sinuses, and there is a surgical option I can also consider. I also saw an allergist to determine the trigger. The ENT specialist referred me to Dr Stelmach and I was able to get in to see her within a week (due to a cancellation). After a through investigation and asking me some questions she determined it was dry eye syndrome and that the oil glands in my eye were getting blocked. She went about explaining the various and likely causes in my case and how to address this, writing down and clearly explaining everything step by step, what to use and do and at what time of day etc She explained I should come back and see her in about 10 weeks for a follow up and explained under what circumstances I should see her sooner. She also emphasised what could happen (including surgery) if I didn’t follow the instructions she had provided me with/it didn’t improve. I appreciated Dr Stelmach clear explanation and instructions, in layman’s terms, and her wholistic approach (including diet) to get the problem under control as well as her extremely gentle examination, including when she checked my tear ducts at the follow up appointment. Given that she was able to clearly explain to me what was going on, the measures I needed to strictly adhere to etc I have now got the condition under control with a wholistic approach (no prescriptions required) which I will continue with to avoid any flare ups. Dr Stemalch also conveyed under what circumstances I would need to see her again. Highly skilled and knowledgeable medical professional with excellent communication skills. I must emphases again, how much I appreciate her wholistic and common sense, pragmatic approach. Very grateful I was referred to Dr Stelmach and her support staff are incredibly professional and efficient too.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2019

I was referred to Doctor M. Stelmach after already being examined twice by another specialist who removed some tissue each time because it kept growing back. Finally after two years I asked my GP to refer me to another specialist because it had grown again. I then met Doctor Syelmach who operated on my eye lid and removed a rather big cancer that has been growing very happily for some time. Doctor Stelmach had to perform a Huges Flap and re build my eye lid, this procedure could have left me with some scaring etc. but after the healing period nothing, all those tiny stitches worked and actually people can not pick the difference between my eye lids. During all this time Doctor Stelmach was amazing she described each procedure also drew me detailed drawings of what would happen and what I needed to do on my returned home, and as I live in the bush north west of vic hours from her rooms this was very important indeed. Follow up: I found out that the other specialist did not send my tissue samples away for a biopsy. In his return letter to me he considered that in his opinion there was no cancer in my eye lid. Thank god for Doctor Stelmach and her extreme professionalism, and many thanks for her care. Margaret

flag | Submitted October 29, 2019

Dr Stelmach and staff are very professional. They guide you through every step of the procedure. Dr Stelmach is a very understanding and reassuring person. She explains everything with comprehensive notes ,diagrams and tips on aftercare to undertake, to give the best possible result. I required a biopsy to determine if a red lesion on the eye lid was cancerous. Dr Stelmach acted with urgency ,and within days ,had me into surgery to conduct the biopsy. Fortunately the results were negative to any cancer. Dr Stelmach is a very compassionate person and makes patients feel at ease with her knowledge and experience. I could not have had a better person to investigate my eye lid issues. Thank you Dr Stelmach.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2019

I am 81, and appreciated Dr. Stelmach's understanding, care and skills. She reduced and corrected ptosis of both eyelids and probed and stented both tear ducts, with such steady hands. She explained everything very clearly and gave me written details and sketches to take home; I would recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2019

My elderly mother recently had Ptosis of the eyelid correction procedure. We can not give Dr Stelmach enough praise. She is meticulous, caring and skilled - just to name a few of her attributes. She gave mum so much confidence before, during and following the procedure. She is genuine and really wants the best for her patients. She is very detailed in her verbal explanations and gives you personalised detailed notes to take home with you. Her staff are also brilliant in that they are thorough, professional and caring as well. They go out of their way to take sure you are happy and feel looked after. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2019

Excellent for ptosis in left eye (2014) andnrightneye (2019). I am extremely hppy with the outcomes and the explanation and follow-ups.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2019

Dr. Maryla Stelmach's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr Maryla Stelmach is a highly skilled, internationally trained Oculoplastic Surgeon with many years of surgical and clinical experience. She performs plastic and reconstructive surgery of the eyelids and tear drainage system and is committed to providing the highest quality of patient care. Dr Stelmach completed her school education in Melbourne, graduating from the Monash University Medical School. She undertook general surgical training at Prince Henry's Hospital and at St Vincent's Hospital, before specializing in ophthalmology at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. Dr Stelmach received Fellowships from both the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Prior to commencing her Ophthalmology specialist training, Dr Stelmach received training in Plastic surgery, Ear Nose and Throat surgery, Cardiothoraic surgery, Vascular surgery and Neurosurgery providing an excellent foundation for the detailed, microscopic surgery she performs. Dr Stelmach completed her Oculoplastics Fellowships at Manchester Eye Hospital with Mr Brian Leatherbarrow and at the University Hospital of Wales with Mrs Carol Lane. Her extensive Oculoplastics Fellowship training in the United Kingdom has provided her with a solid foundation in which to further expand her surgical and teaching skills. In order to provide her patients with the latest non-invasive endoscopic lacrimal surgery, Dr Stelmach undertook further specialist training in Ear Nose and Throat Surgery with Mr Heikki Whittet, at Swansea General Hospital in the United Kingdom. On returning to Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, she was appointed specialist surgeon to the Oculoplastics Unit and has trained other ophthalmologists, from Australia and overseas, to perform these latest surgical techniques. Dr Stelmach is passionate about teaching and academic pursuits. Having lectured at the University of Melbourne, her enthusiasm for teaching the specialty of Oculoplastics continues, training other ophthalmologists and teaching general practitioners, optometrists, and nurses. Dr Stelmach has a particular interest in eyelid malpositions and reconstructions following cancer surgery. She sees numerous patients who have complications from previous plastic surgery and now require cosmetic and functional correction of the eyelids.

• English