Dr. Haya Maal-Bared

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Haya Maal-Bared

This doctor is competent, efficient, patient, empathetic and really helpful. Way better than any of the other "mental health professionals" I have seen thus far. Her support has been such a Godsend.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

I feel like Dr. Haya relates to me as a human being. That sets her apart from other therapists, I think. I really appreciate that she never completely closes files. I have come back to her over the years and she seems to remember everything I ever told her no matter how long it's been.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

This doctor is not associated with any hospital. That has its pros and cons. She was fairly clear about that from the get-go. I have yet to experience any of the cons: You get personalized care. No secretaries, no obstacles, a much lower likelihood of human error. She was also clear from the beginning that she is only a clinician. She is not an academic and seems to have no ulterior motives prescribing one thing over another as she runs no studies. Call me crazy, but I like that! I don't want to be a guinea pig. I like going with tried, tested and true. I don't need a psychiatrist who is part of the academic machine, published thousands of papers and won awards. I need someone who is competent, efficient and genuinely wants to help and I found it in Dr. Bared.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2017

I confess I only spoke with her on the phone once. I had called 14 or 15 psychiatrists to try to set up an appointment and she was the only one who bothered to call me back the same day. She apologized saying she wasn't taking new patients but spent like over half an hour listening to me and trying to help me find help elsewhere. It was really eye opening. There were a lot of things I didn't know about accessing support in the city that I learned from that chat. She sounded really warm and sincere. I wish other doctors would bother and just call back. Is that really so hard?

flag | Submitted August 16, 2017

Love her!!! The best!!! I never have to wonder about whether she is on my side. Stunning office, too. So much character!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

She is such a nice lady. Like an angel. I think the world is a better place with her in it.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Maal-Bared for years. I know for a fact she cares. When I was admitted to hospital for a physical condition, she visited me every day. I don't have any family in Toronto so her visits made a huge difference to me. It moved me to tears that she would make such an effort so that her patients would not feel alone. I can't imagine another doctor doing that but I know Dr. Maal-Bared would do it for any of her patients. She is knowledgeable, professional, patient and really unpretentious. She will explain everything in detail to make sure patients understand their condition and how to deal with it. She is the only doctor I have ever felt so comfortable with. I feel like I can ask or tell her anything and she will never judge me.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

I read the article. It proves why Dr. Hiya is different from all the other therapists I've seen in the past. She will go out of her way to help people and that can make her vulnerable to the occasional psychopath. She is knowledgeable, punctual and helpful. Her conduct has always been reflective of her high ethical and moral standards. It pains me to see that the system and laws have failed her (the same system used to promote experimenting on patients with recreational drugs without their consent not so long ago so it doesn't really surprise me). She hasn't had staff in years. She had a secretary for a week 6 years ago or so. She was awful and wouldn't shut up. She went on an unprovoked, man-loathing feminist tirade as I sat in the waiting area once. I complained to Dr. Hiya about this and the lady was gone by the next time I came to see her. I admit I was proud of myself for having spared the rest of the patients the experience I had with that character. I love the fact that Dr. Hiya let her go so quickly based on patient feedback (I couldn't have been the only one who complained). Since then, things have gone perfectly well for me with Dr. Hiya. She's one of the most wholesome people I've ever met and the definition of a good Christian. "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" Galatians 6:9.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

She's really humble, patient, kind and caring while also being really knowledgeable. That combination is super rare. I just hope she comes back because I'm not risking the usual apathy I seem to get from other shrinks if she doesn't.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

I no longer see her but did for 3 years. I got a dream job overseas and no longer live in Toronto. She helped me sort out my priorities and aim higher. I especially appreciated her openness to feedback and even criticism. I hesitantly asked for a second opinion on a few occasions and was pleasantly surprised at how willing she was to facilitate that. She referred me to world experts in the field and spent a long time communicating with them to clarify details and endure they fully understood my background. Their expert recommendations usually ended up matching hers but it made a huge difference to me to be able to feel so much more confident about my diagnosis and treatment options. I am trying to find a psychiatrist like her in Dubai and it's been impossible. She will be sorely missed.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2017

Dr. Haya Maal-Bared's Credentials

No, this doctor is not accepting new patients

Providing patient-centered long-term integrative psychotherapy and/or pharmacotherapy.

• Arabic
  • German
  • French
  • English

• Université d'Ottawa University of Ottawa (Grad. 2003)
  • University of Toronto (Grad. 2008)

GHI